Grammys

TheTallOne

I watched bits and pieces. The Grammies are becoming irrelevant. I didn't think U2's last album was that worthy. But, honestly there is not that much to choose from. I didn't quite get the Kanye West/Jamie Fox thing with the band outfits. Hope I don't sound to old Fogie. Is Fogie a word?

One very tiny thing: for the second year running, Grammy voters picked another Slack Key Instrumental collection as the best in the "Hawaiian" category. The one vocal CD nominated, by Raiatea Helm, who actually sings in Hawaiian was bypassed. More Hawaiian artists recorded Slack Key-only CDs than ever this past year. Oh well, most Grammy voters aren't Hawaiian or familiar with the language.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb was an album that grew considerably on me with every listen. There are some really good songs on there, but I do have to say I agree with the spirit of what you are saying Batman. Atomic Bomb was nothing like All That You Can't Leave Behind, Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree. And Get Behind Me Satan is a pretty damn good album!

I saw something on Hong Kong TV about the Grammies but I'm not sure exactly when they are on. I'll look the info up, but I fear I missed it already!

Edited by Guest

I saw the whole thing. Yes, I'm very spare, very vela, but it's a ritual with me now. Even though there really isn't much to look forward to. Yhe perofrmances normally give something to talk about. Even if the awards are a bit of a pain.

I don't have the album, but I was rather disappointed with 'How to dismantle an atomic bomb'. However, I'd rather it win all those awards than another hip-hopper or rapper or r&b-er.

White Stripes won best alternative album. Works for me :cool:. I also enjoyed the U2 Mary J. Blige performance. And even the opening Gorillaz/Madonna sequence, though I'm not a fan of either.

No great shakes about the ceremony. Quite a bore. I liked the tribute to Sly and the family Stone, except that it seemed to be going haywire after Mr. Sly came and went.

Make some good albums, people!

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb was an album that grew considerably on me with every listen. There are some really good songs on there, but I do have to say I agree with the spirit of what you are saying Batman. Atomic Bomb was nothing like All That You Can't Leave Behind, Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree. And Get Behind Me Satan is a pretty damn good album!

That's what I meant to say. I'm no U2 fan, but my dad has a lot of their albums, and their earlier stuff is much better than Atomic Bomb. Although, I haven't heard the 3 other nominated albums (Paul McCartney, Kanye West, and Mariah Carey) so I can't really say which one should have won.

I love Get Behind Me Satan!