Tell me about Kraut rock

EagleEye0

Krautrock is some of the strangest music I've ever heard, and I'm not even sure how much I like it, but here are some albums I think I like in the genre:

Kraftwerk - Computer World

Kraftwerk - The Man Machine

Kraftwerk - Autobahn (if you can find it)

Can - Soon over Babaluma (or something like that)

Faust - Faust

Faust - So Far

Haven't heard any Neu!, so I can't help you there

I was just looking through their discography, and Tangerine Dream is still making albums today. I haven't heard any of their newer ones though. You should check out Tangerine Dream. They require more patience than what is required of any other music I own.

Ooh, Mr Diggs, you're so saucy!

It's not a trick I've tried hitherto, but I'll happily give it a go.

Will report back. ;)

Not a great success, I'm afraid.

For starters, all the languages I tried sounded the same: muffled. :crazy:

Then when I blurted out "Bitte, wie komme ich am besten zur Strassenbahnhaltestelle?" it "killed the moment" (apparently) :doh:

Tch! German: not the language of romance.

I won't be trying it again. :thumbsdown:

I would imagine blurting out any sentence in German whilst recumbant beneath Mrs Fitter would kill the moment - unless she is a Wagnerian in which case she may start calling for your horned helmet...

Oddly, reminds me of a Bugs Bunny cartoon. Are you perchance related to Elmer Phudd?

Regards

I would imagine blurting out any sentence in German whilst recumbant beneath Mrs Fitter would kill the moment - unless she is a Wagnerian in which case she may start calling for your horned helmet...

That is quite possibly the most odd, most unlikely and most wonderful sentence I have ever read in my whole life. I adore Diggs and bow to his subtle genius. :bow:

(Of Nina Hagen, and where she might 'sit' in the Krautrock debate...)

Any place she wants judging by the scary photo on the cover of my copy of White Punks On Dope!

Now, if Mr Fitter chose to woo her by gargling German whilst dining on furry pumpernickle he would get my vote as a very brave man....Regards

Now that is quite possibly the most odd, most unlikely and most wonderful sentence I have read this week. Diggs , I too bow to your genius. :bow:

As regards my horned helmet...Hmmm .. I haven't had that out for a while...

You mention Wagner...so that probably counts as "KrautRock". Hooray! We're still with the thread! Was he responsible for "The Ride of The Valkyries"?? That being the case, Mrs Fitter (quite a formidable woman herself) might yet succumb to my mastery of the German tongue.

Re Nina Hagen: I used to have an album of hers (and a T-shirt, and a badge...) German: yes , Rock: after a fashion...but I don't think she counts as "KrautRock". I'd be interested to know what she's doing (and looks like) nowadays...

When is somebody going to tell me something about NEU! and CAN, the two Krautrock outfits I'm vaguely interested in?

I have a 12" (ooer, missus, don't titter) featuring Holger Czukay & Jaki Liebezeit (of CAN) in collaboration with all-round bass-genius Jah Wobble (formerly of PIL). These tracks are pretty good, but I 've still not heard their work with CAN. So what do I need to know?

Well, I had 'Unlimited Edition' from 1976 but I think I lent it to one of my brothers...anyway, I haven't listened to it for nearly 30 years...I can only remember one track as being a 'standout' and that was called 'Mother Upduff'. It had a spoken lyric and a storyline worthy of the redoubtable Diggsy himself...as I recollect it involved a family holiday on which Granny dies so they wrap her in a carpet and put her on the roofrack of the car from which she is promptly stolen whilst they continue their holiday...those crazy Krauts eh?

The rest was meandering bleeps and shrieks and tin bashing...pretty dire really.

Now, Amon Duul 11 ...there was a good Kraut band. 'Live in London' (which I have) is now worth a bloody fortune....well, 15 squid at least .

JMHO :):)

Edited by Guest

Re Nina Hagen: I used to have an album of hers (and a T-shirt, and a badge...) German: yes , Rock: after a fashion...but I don't think she counts as "KrautRock". I'd be interested to know what she's doing (and looks like) nowadays...

She hasn't changed one bit, she's still one big joke.

Edited by Guest