Rate the last thing you read

Batman

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read a Highlights magazine at the doctor's office.

I give it a 3/10

The three points go to a particularly funny Timbertoes comic strip where the family dog(Spot) and the family cat(Splinter) cause some mischief.

However, I docked it seven points because the picture find (BEST PART OF HIGHLIGHTS) had all of the hidden pictures circled. That's gonna hurt your rating.

• 1 month later...

"I promise myself to cut my calorie intake in half to 150 for the day and to take twenty laxatives. But it's not the weight gain from the six ounces of yogurt I ate last night that worries me. It's the loss of self-control. I start sobbing as I lunge my way across the floor and I wonder how many calories I'm burning by sobbing." ~ excerpt in People from Portia DeRossi's book about her battle with anorexia.

I give it a 10/10. I don't know if the whole book is written this well, but this part makes me snicker and feel awful for her at the same time. Well written, IMO.

I read the news online this morning... :P

Politics, economics, weapons, crooks, crisis, unemployement and global warming...

:thumbsdown:

I couldn't help feeling a bit... let down when I mentioned The Little Prince to anyone younger than 30 and all I get is either a blank stare or a smirk and an eye-roll. I'm the only one who liked the book :beatnik:

• 2 weeks later...

I read "A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier" by Ishmael Beah yesterday. It's a relatively short book (about 220 pages) and so riveting. Ishmael was recruited into the Sierra Leone army at thirteen, trained to be a ruthless killer and kept going with drugs. I started reading it around this time yesterday morning and did not put it down until 11 pm. Absolutely riveting, heartbreaking, sad and uncompromising. 10/10

• 2 months later...

Somewhere in the beginning of this thread, someone said something about "The Pillars of the Earth." I am now half through that book, and mad as hell. It began so badly I didn't want to continue reading, but at the end of every chapter, it hooked me back in. Now I find I can't put it down. I've been drawn into caring for these people that never actually lived building this cathedral that never actually got built. Ad it's good entertainment, but it does keep me up nights.

Hehe Shawna. It was either Fin or Tim that first mentioned those books if I recall. Whichever one it was decided they better tie up their school business before they started reading it because they knew they wouldn't be able to put it down.

There is a sequel, "World Without End ." Both books were awesome and became two of my all time favorites :D

You might want to skip over the parts that mention cats tho :puppyeyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I have been lazy lately...taking a lot of books out of the library and barely reading one. I am a third of the way through "The Corrections" and it's only because I'm anal and don't want to quit a book once I start, I plan on finishing it. I know it got a lot of critical acclaim, but it's not appealing to me that much so far.

I'm anal and don't want to quit a book once I start, I plan on finishing it

Me too. No matter how awful it is. ;) I'm currently reading & re-reading some old Agatha Christie novels, Miss Marple, Detective Poirot and the like. I'd forgotten how good they really are .... that lady could write a hell of a mystery. :thumbsup:

I just finished reading "Horns" by Joe Hill. If that wasn't about a stupid book. I'm still not real clear about what happened in the end and never figured out what caused it in the first place.

I just started "Keeping Faith" by Jodi Picoult. I think her first books were much better then her newer stuff. She seems like one of those authors that made it and now just write stuff to fulfill her contract. I hate it when that happens :crazy:

• 3 months later...

I just got through reading a book called "Step Ball Change" by Jeanne Ray. And it was so good I'm going to bring it to my mom to read and tell her to give it to my sister afterwards. Just a light sort of read about a woman whose sister is getting divorced at the same time her son is falling in love and her daughter's getting engaged to someone who she's not sure is "the one."

Really good "chick lit" fare. 10/10. :)

I just finished up an extraordinary piece of time and literature!

The author is Carl Jung. The book is titled, "Consciousness: the first and last step of man."

The premise is too extreme to condense. I feel that professor Jung is a genius worlds above Einstein and Descartes: "I think therefore I exist."