Rate the last thing you read

Batman

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Guy is a fireman who starts fires instead of putting them out. What he and his fellow firemen burn are books.  His chance meeting with a free-thinking, free-spirited girl makes him start questioning the way society is run and his place in keeping it that way.  9/10

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I just finished a short story book called "Redeployment" by Phil Klay.  All the stories are told from the point of view of Iraq war veterans who served in different capacities and how they adjust to coming home.  It's not blood, gore, PTSD, just well told stories about returning to normal life.  9/10.

I also read "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd.  A girl named Lily, who is haunted by her mother's death and has a neglectful and cruel father, leaves home with her black nanny after the nanny insults some racists in town.  They escape to a town that Lily sees written on the back of a picture her mother had.  She finds solace with three beekeeping sisters, learns the truth about her mother and comes to terms with her past. 8.5/10

• 3 months later...

I read so many books over the summer, it's hard to believe I didn't come on here and put reviews.  Anyway, I took a break from novels for a while, but now I'm back.

I just finished reading "Snow Falling on Cedars" by David Guterson.  In high school, Ishmael Chambers and Hatsue Imada are secret lovers.  World War 2 breaks out, Hatsue is sent away with her family to an internment camp and Ishmael goes off to fight in the South Pacific.  In 1954, Hatsue's husband is on trial for murder and Ishmael is the town's lone newspaperman still bitter about their broken romance and his war experiences.  Was the murder racially motivated?  9/10