Suggestions for Specials

I suggest a future TT Special for female solo artists. They are decidedly underrepresented in our TT archive, both in number of artists who have charted, and number of songs for those female soloists who have charted. Only 6 female artists (Aretha, Janis, Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Linda Ronstadt & Dusty Springfield) have more than 3 TT solo entries.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think when we do this special, possibly next month, it'll be for any female singer regardless of her already having a song in the archive (including bands with a lead female) to ensure that we get enough various nominations.

I like the idea of female artist not already in the top ten...I don't think it would be that challenging..and it would be nice to give a chance to so many female artist that should be in the top ten....

I also would like to suggest a Doo Wop special sometime....have we done that yet?...

Even if you didn't want to use any contemporary artists, the following female singers are NOT in the TT:

Ella Fitzgerald

Billie Holliday

Kay Starr

Pattie Page

The McGuire Sisters

The Andrews Sisters

Rosemary Clooney

That's just from the 30s-50s. I could go through my iTunes library and pull up about 50 female singers from the 1980s onward that aren't in either. I'm sorry, I'd much rather see one of those artists, or one of the myriad of female singers from the 1980s to the present get in, than see everyone nominating Aretha Franklin, Carole King, Joni Mitchell, and Diana Ross. They're in, we already know they're great. Why not let artists who've maybe never even been nominated before get their chance to shine?

I would like to maybe allow artists who only have one song already in to be nominated, but not more than that. There are several female singers with only one song in the archive (eg Madonna, Aguilera, etc), that have a plethora of hits and deserve to get another one in.

I'm not saying I'm a fan of those artists I listed either, just using them as an example. :P

Also, how soon do you ladies want to do this special? Maybe we can bump it up sooner due to the growing amount of interest.

Is anyone interested in maybe kicking off the opening post and doing the nomination list posting (what I usually do for the others). I'm going to create a new title card specific for this special.

How about just women solo or groups ? No duets with guys, no guys doing vocals as part of the group (but singing backup or playing instruments is OK).

And if we're going to exclude any, how about the 6 that cyber said have more than 3 entries + any others who've been #1 ?

OR if you want to make it "all new to the Ten" that's fine by me too. None of the 3 I have in mind have ever been in a TT.

Timing - soon ! You do the opening post Kenne. I'm sure you'll do us proud. But NO male centerfold. OK ? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of a guilty pleasures special, let's see how others feel about it. Maybe make it for songs not already in, so we can get 10 new ones added in. I have a feeling with a special like that, there'll be a few artists that aren't already in yet making it.

We're gonna start on the Personal Top 10's soon.

(please read, if you are interested in having your own personal voting list)

The P-10's will run along-side the regular 10 and given 2 whole weeks, to not interfere as much with the main weekly SF charts and give people time to listen and vote.

They will most likely be limited to 30 to 40 songs to allow shorter time for listening, since most of the time they require all songs to be heard.

I have an idea of giving an option to the person, if s(he) would like to have it unrestricted and choose any songs, or the option of no songs already in, and then the top 10 will be added to the archive.

Only people who are willing to participate in others' P10s will be given the option of having their own. Not saying you have to participate in all of them, but at least quite a few.

I will probably do the vote counting for the majority of them, but can't guarantee having the results exactly on time given my hectic schedule.

We need input from you regular participants though, the rules are a voted on process.

If someone has 30 to 40 songs with links ready to go, we can give that person the first one and use it as a sample to show how these PTTs work for everyone. I would like to run this test and then afterwards it will be done by drawing for the others.