The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #200

Lucky

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you're a Pink Floyd fan, so it follows that you like prog, so it could follow that you'd be interested in Tool.

No it doesn't. What exactly is "progressive rock" and what other bands would it comprise? I also listen to Sarah Brightman, Kylie Minogue and Marty Robbins....all from wildly different genres. One is classical/opera, one is pop and the other is 50s-60s country.

it's also one of those iconic (and terrifying) videos - WHAT ARE THOSE THINGS?!?!?!

That about sums up ALL of their videos that they've ever done.

I don't think you can be a troll when you've posted here for almost five years.

You've been here longer than 5 years, right?

I know Tool, they are good and make some interesting music. I like tracks like "The Grudge" or "Schism" though it's not the sort of music I'd listen to at home probably. Not now, in any case.

But they are known, they won a Grammy, they sold many records and my metal-trash friends like them. I find them rather experimental.

I had a nifty little spiel here (you'd be surprised what I was going to say), but deleted it. I'm just going to keep my mouth shut other than to say yay for Foreigner. It took forever to get them in, and now their second song in is #1. Good deal. ;)

I've never heard anything by King Crimson, Soft Machine or Emerson, Lake & Palmer although I've at least heard of their names. The only Genesis songs I know were after Phil Collins took over and they went more mainstream, I like only 2 Yes songs and Jethro Tull is annoying because flutes don't belong in rock and roll. They also stole a Grammy from Metallica.

I've never considered Pink Floyd "prog rock" and frankly, neither do they and that's what counts to me. They were a rock band, period.

I've never considered Pink Floyd "prog rock" and frankly, neither do they and that's what counts to me. They were a rock band, period.

You never did but many others do. By the way, I just called Pink Floyd and asked them and they said "Yes of course we are prog rock!"

Jethro Tull is annoying because flutes don't belong in rock and roll.

:doh: :stars: :crazy:

Here's other rock artists who have used flutes in their songs

The Moody Blues

Canned Heat

Marshall Tucker

Mamas & Papas

Blodwyn Pig

The Guess Who

Van Morrison

Eric Burdon & War

Chicago

Traffic

Manfred Mann

Tull is annoying because flutes don't belong in rock and roll.

Your just messing with us right? :laughing:

You must not listen to any of the other nominated songs because I nominated an ELP song and King Crimson even made it on the list.

You seriously need to broaden you musical horizons young lady :shades: :D

Just because what I listen to is not what you listen to doesn't mean I only listen to 4 groups and that's it. If you could look at my music collection, you'd see bands and artists from wildly different styles. I don't just listen to one type of music or one type of band. I find it mildly amusing that you would think that because I haven't heard of artists and/or songs that you like or have nominated, somehow that means I have poor taste or don't know anything about music or have a limited field of vision. My musical tastes are expanded enough, thank you. If on my iPod, I can go from listening to Renee Fleming (opera) to Miles Davis (blues/jazz), I think that shows well enough that my tastes are diverse.

Hilarity, I tell you. All this because I said I've never heard of Tool.

I don't just listen to one type of music or one type of band.

I think just about everyone here could say that exact same thing. I was raised on country music and I still love it. I also love Porgy and Bess if you know what I'm talking about. There are few genre's of music I haven't heard or can't find something to love about.

I don't care much for opera nor classical but I'm still willing to listen. You can never hear enough music to ever think you've heard enough IMHO. At least I can't I'd miss to much.

I find it mildly amusing that you would think that because I haven't heard of artists and/or songs that you like or have nominated

I also find it mildly amusing that you don't listen to the nominations that others post but become irritated if you think others aren't listening to yours. The whole point of the game is discovery and recognition. Sorry if you choose to miss out on that.

My musical tastes are expanded enough, thank you.

Then I feel sorry for you :puppyeyes:

and on that note it's off to work I go ;)

Enough of this people. We've had 200 of these things and it shouldn't errupt into near violence. Enough being offended, and enough calling people out. Enough bragging, enough trying to take other people down. MC, I'm sorry I took offense at your comment. I have removed all of what I said. I felt like I was being attacked for simply teasing some one. No more comments about which band is better, I'm awesome cause I like this band and I don't like that band. We don't get paid to be here. We do it because we like music and we like eachother. So stop it, me, you every one.

I also find it mildly amusing that you don't listen to the nominations that others post but become irritated if you think others aren't listening to yours. The whole point of the game is discovery and recognition. Sorry if you choose to miss out on that.

I only listen to nominations from groups/artists I don't know if I can't fill out my 10 right away. Normally, and this is 99% of the time, when the list of nominations goes up, there are already 10 or more songs I love that I can choose from, so it's just a matter of putting them in the right order. I only start listening around to stuff I don't know if I don't have a full 10. Which again is very rare. I think I can count on both hands and have fingers left over the number of times I had trouble making up my list.

Also, please save your pity for people who truly need it -- not those on a message board who don't have the same taste in music that you do.