The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #153

Lucky

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suede is definitely Bowie over the Furs, though. In their video for... Trash only I think, Brett Anderson gives off this actual David Bowie persona. Not just in performance manner, but also in the way he looks.

Or maybe it's just me who saw that.

Oh yeah, there's no doubt. Early Suede is drenched in classic Hunk Dory to Aladdin Sane era Bowie. It was just when I was digging out Pretty In Pink for this TT that I suddenly noticed how much it sounds like Suede, so I thought I would pair them up ;-)

LBB

Pretty In Pink - Psychedelic Furs

I love them Furs... :cool: They performed the best concert I´ve ever seen -and I´ve seen a lot of them...- It wasn´t even a concert, it was a sound-check. The few ones who were lucky to be there for over an hour were almost in tears...

Yet I prefer the songs from "Mirror Moves"...

I had a very hard time choosing a single Suede nom. Trash isn't really a stand-out favourite of mine, but that whole album is one of those rarities where I love each and every song. I prefer it to to the more serious early albums. Blasphemy, I know ;-)

LBB

's the second time people have said that about Suede on this forum (or something along those lines). it's like we HAVE to like their early albums more than their later ones simply because Bernard Butler was there. I do like Stay Together, though.

It's hardly "hot news" that both the Psyechedelic Furs and Suede were heavily-influenced by Bowie. In any case, I dig both of your nominations, so expect them to be near the top of my 10. Having said that: the original UK version of "Pretty In Pink" is significantly superior to the US single release (which toned down the guitars and totally overdid the syrupy sax), so if you went for the US version, it'll be marked down. ;)

Incidentally; when Suede were recruiting a guitarist to replace Bernard Butler, their anonymous small ad in the NME listed influences / interests as Bowie, Suede and The Cocteau Twins. (If I recall correctly).

Edited by Guest