Announcements

edna

:rockon: Nice! Now just another 7 days, and then another... ;)

Good work Lucky!

I'm trying to persuade some of my friends to stop now, while it's a little easier.

I've tried too. :P (to persuade my friends that is) They don't appreciate it, though, so I can't wait until we're old and they have trouble walking up hills while I happily jog past them :cool:

Congrats on your week of cigarette sobriety. Stay strong and remember that you are extending yours and Bluesy's life together.

A friend of mine who gave up smoking many years ago used to suck on hard candies and lollipops. She also found that just sniffing a package of cigarettes would calm the craving.

One 'quit smoking ' book that I read recommended that you keep a small jar or film container ( to carry around ) full of used butts and ashes . They smell very bad ( even to smokers ) and can act as a deterrent if you get a craving .

Keep it up , Lucky- but don't give into those little 'demonic voices' that tell you that you've now got it licked and can have ONE ... ! :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest

You know what, I'm kind of taking this very slowly. I'm 9 days clean and smober (as a friend calls it). I count it in terms of days, and I celebrate each little victory. My coworkers bought a huge chocolate cake (the thing weighed 7 pounds!) to celebrate 1 week clean. I've changed my habits, no longer taking my breaks in or near the smoking area, I don't hang with my former smoking friends, and am now spending my free time at work walking or reading & eating at my desk. There's no smoking at home, so that's not an issue. I'm not in the way of temptation much at all. I've noticed that maybe once a day I'll get a craving, but as long as I can get my mind off it, it disappears pretty quickly. :)

To be honest though, the biggest reason I quit at this particular time is the new taxes that have gone into effect. An additional 1.50 (almost 7.00 a pack now) in taxes is something I'm just not willing to pay. :P

I was wondering if that had something to do with it . You seem to be doing all the right things , but most importantly , you've got the right mindset to quit . :guitar:

I always end up letting myself off the hook by convincing myself, at some point, that each attempt is just a practice run for the real deal -someday- and give in to the temptation ... no da*n good at all . I'm your biggest fan right now !

Edited by Guest

You know what, I'm kind of taking this very slowly. I'm 9 days clean and smober (as a friend calls it). I count it in terms of days, and I celebrate each little victory. My coworkers bought a huge chocolate cake (the thing weighed 7 pounds!) to celebrate 1 week clean. I've changed my habits, no longer taking my breaks in or near the smoking area, I don't hang with my former smoking friends, and am now spending my free time at work walking or reading & eating at my desk. There's no smoking at home, so that's not an issue. I'm not in the way of temptation much at all. I've noticed that maybe once a day I'll get a craving, but as long as I can get my mind off it, it disappears pretty quickly. :)

To be honest though, the biggest reason I quit at this particular time is the new taxes that have gone into effect. An additional 1.50 (almost 7.00 a pack now) in taxes is something I'm just not willing to pay. :P

I worked at a gas station when I was in college (late 70's) and I recall the price of gas and the cost of a pack of cigarettes from the vending machine in our station was the same...55 cents per gallon/pack.