this sort of upsets me

Batman

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're so right Batman! There are myriad talented artists who will struggle in obscurity because they don't have anyone to effectively market them. Without a record contract, they will never attract a mainstream audience.

Thank goodness for YouTube.

The music isn't new, but the style is certainly different. That guy is talented! Plus that's my kind of music! Thanks Batman. ;)

You could spend a lifetime searching and never hear all there is to offer. I guess that's what we are all doing here, isn't it?

^ I'd agree with you. But I tend to be close-minded about modern music, since the majority of it that I have heard is absolutely s##t IMO. So I want to be able to find some good modern bands. Ones that I would like enough to buy their Cd's, such as Muse. I have 3 of their albums.

If you like Muse, perhaps you like The Kasabian, The Strokes, Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand, The Vines, The Hives, The Killers, Jet, Death Cab For Cutie, The Fratellis (I think of Sue and Rach now),Keane, The Thrills, Razorlight, perhaps the likes of Green Day, hopefully the White Stripes, and maybe something like Weezer

If you like Muse, perhaps you like The Kasabian, The Strokes, Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand, The Vines, The Hives, The Killers, Jet, Death Cab For Cutie, The Fratellis (I think of Sue and Rach now),Keane, The Thrills, Razorlight, perhaps the likes of Green Day, hopefully the White Stripes, and maybe something like Weezer

I don't mean to sound rude, but I have heard some of those bands, and they don't exactly sound like one-in-a-million bands to me.

haha, i would say that early muse is just radiohead without the musical genius. but i think by now they've developed their own style, and have grown out of the "radiohead wannabe" tag.

hey, but if you like muse, chances are you like pop music that's really over the top, so try this song by Mika (you've probably heard it already).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzA0nG_PurQ

although i suppose he sounds nothing like muse.

and of course, any self-respecting floydaholic must listen to radiohead!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsxMXo0FaKA

radiohead and pink floyd go together like peanut butter and jelly

Edited by Guest

why does every thread i post in end up with me telling people to listen to radiohead?

floydaholics also seem to like explosions in the sky, and godspeed you black emperor

I will have a listen to Radiohead when I get the time, if it will put your mind at rest. If it turns out that I think they are really good, what albums would you recommend by them??.

Hmmm, I'd reccomend "The Bends" as Radiohead's most accessible album. It was my favorite for a long time. "OK Computer" probably has the most Pink Floyd influence. And "Kid A" is probably the best, and easily the most innovative and creative, but I'm not sure how great a starting place it is. It's quite difficult to get into.

Another thing to keep in mind is that like Pink Floyd, Radiohead albums must be listened to all the way through.

As a longtime fan I agree with Batman. "The Bends" is incredible, and it's more accesible, being a guitar-driven album. "OK Computer" is somewhere in the middle between "The Bends" and "Kid A" - lots of guitars, but a little more experimental. Definitely do them in that order - "The Bends", "OK" and "Kid A" - just to see the growth.

I actually prefer "Amnesiac" to "Kid A", but they're both great. They were recorded at the same time, hence versions of "Morning Bell" on each. The songs on each have a different overall effect while still being placed together well.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will try and get a hold of them as soon as I can. When were they around??.

Most of the time I always listen to an album the whole way through, even if it's not a Pink Floyd album. I think that in modern times that many artists have albums which are promoted by 2 top singles or something like that. But back in the day, bands made albums, not for songs, but for albums. At least, in what I know, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin did that.

When were they around?

I'm not sure what you mean... Radiohead is still around...

they're currently (ie since 2005) working on their seventh album

the other albums mentioned here were

The Bends - 1995

OK Computer - 1997 (my personal favourite btw)

Kid A - 2000

Amnesiac - 2001

did I forget anything?