this sort of upsets me

Batman

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will try and get a hold of them as soon as I can. When were they around??.

Most of the time I always listen to an album the whole way through, even if it's not a Pink Floyd album. I think that in modern times that many artists have albums which are promoted by 2 top singles or something like that. But back in the day, bands made albums, not for songs, but for albums. At least, in what I know, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin did that.

I also dislike when bands only have albums as vehicles for their two big singles. But if you think that there aren't that many bands today that make proper albums that must be listened to the whole way through, I must inform you that you're missing out on a whole world of amazing album-based music! What are some of your other favorite bands?

By the way, you might want to check out the Flaming Lips as well. They've been around since the 80's, and they've recently started making art-rock and concept albums. Their best is "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots." Much like Pink Floyd, they make accessible music that's still artistically legitimate and creative.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6tRXO9Q8LkY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=beCsb4SJRnQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ocKMAjH5T8A

I listened to "The Bends", and it's a great album. Thanks for suggesting Radiohead to me Batman. I'll definately get a hold of some of their other stuff. Thanks again.

Some of the more modern bands that I listen to are KT Tunstall, Gary Jules, Muse, Clive Barnes. Wow, I don't really listen to any modern-music at all. I guess that my view of modern-music has been tainted by the amount of sh##€ out there in the music industry at the moment.

I'm glad you like the Bends!

If you like KT Tunstall, check out her Scottish contemporaries Belle and Sebastian (a band that is reccomended to all fans of 60's folk rock)

song reccomendations:

If You're Feeling Sinister

Stars of Track and Field

The State I Am In

Dear Catastrophe Waitress

The way I look at the modern music scene is this: popular radio has always been full of *******. Whatever is selling most is never an accurate indicator of what the best music from a time period is. It's no different today. When you look at the best bands from the 60's and 70's, it's not what you'll be hearing on classic rock radio. And you aren't going to hear the Arcade Fire or Radiohead on today's top 40 radio. And I'd say the amount of awesome modern music greatly overshadows crappy modern music (since I choose to not listen to the radio). For every Lil Jon there's a Boards of Canada, and for every Eagles there's a Nick Drake.

I'm glad you like the Bends!

If you like KT Tunstall, check out her Scottish contemporaries Belle and Sebastian (a band that is reccomended to all fans of 60's folk rock)

song reccomendations:

If You're Feeling Sinister

Stars of Track and Field

The State I Am In

Dear Catastrophe Waitress

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll listen to "Kid A" and "Ok Computer" next.

Well, it might be worth a try. I cited these artists for a reason. I wouldn't really have expected you to dig many of the other "modern" bands recommended previously (those Franz Ferdinand, Killers, Kaiser Chiefs et al lists), because the current trend favours influences from 90s Brit-pop and UK post-punk (late 70s/ early 80s), characterised by tight, angular, "choppy" sounds and rhythms, completely at odds with the features a Pink Floyd fan might appreciate. There's little point in "recommending" stuff that is the very antithesis of what you like, right?

The artists I mentioned (with the possible exception of The Editors, who do have something of a "post-punk", Joy Division/Bunnymen/Chameleons sound) are not bound by the constraints of tightness/economy/other ephemeral style-considerations, and tend towards more expansive, ambient, sonic adventurousness, drawing upon elements of (amongst other things) late 60s psychedelia, early 70s rock. Without exception, they are talented and versatile musicians, rather than just another bunch of formulaic indie-chancers.

Of the list above, the only ones I would absolutely swear by are LOW and The Coral, (though these bands are very different in style from one another). The others I just "quite like", y'know. But that's just personal taste.

I wouldn't expect everyone to get Low (whose album "The Great Destroyer" is utterly brilliant, imho). The Coral however, are one of the most complete, imaginative, creative and interesting young bands around. I defy anyone to listen to their albums and not be impressed to at least some degree. Lord only knows why they are not more widely known than much of the derivative crap that's in vogue nowadays.

"the bends" is definitely my fave radiohead album, I kinda lost them after Kid A, although I guess if you start listening to them now, the post "ok computer" albums wouldn't sound so wrong.

I agree with batman that muse started off sounding like radiohead, but they are nothing like them anymore (other than possibly the singing style). They are more of a stadium band, much grander. If you ever see them live you will know what I mean.

Obviously, finding a band that sounds so unique, there is nothing out there like them is almost impossible, but I can definitely say that all the afore mentioned bands have a certain sound to them; I can always tell when a Kaiser chiefs or Franz Ferdinand song comes one.

The more I hear raving reviews of radiohead and muse, the less their work seems to reflect these overrated views. It makes me wish I'd never heard of Roxy Music just so I could listen to For Your Pleasure and Avalon - and be struck with shock and awe at how good music is supposed to sound like. In the case of radiohead and muse, I wish I'd never heard of Kent just so I could stumble into the Swedish version of Isola.

I've never really heard raving reviews of Muse, except from their diehard fans. For me, it was difficult to get past the rave reviews of Radiohead. Funny enough, now I give rave reviews of Radiohead, some more fanatical than the ones that put me off from the band in the first place!

Mebbe it's their avid fans. If we could stuff all four of them into a rocket and launch them into the sun I'd be able to listen to Radiohead one more freakin' time without the thought that they're considered "pioneers" and "experimental," and, instead, enjoy them for the blatant Alterno Pop Rock that they really are.

I only have "Hail To The Thief", which nobody here particularly recommends, I notice. It's okay, I find, but hasn't really prompted me to expand my Radiohead collection.

The notion that Thom Yorke is one of rock/pop's "great voices" (see thread elsewhere) is, frankly, a bit of a mystery to me. I can only handle it in small doses.

"HTTT" is indeed okay, but not near as good as "The Bends", "OK Computer" or "Amnesiac". I'd recommend "The Bends" to you first, as it's really just a great rock album.

I love Thom Yorke's voice, but can definitely see where it has a grating quality. :)