Ask a Songfactor

Kevin

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He guessed what I had planned and I was kinda glad he did because he told me he didn't need/wan one. He said he has 2 of them whenever he needs them and he would rather have something he and his friends don't have so they can share it :laughing:

I'm glad he told me that. If I'm going to spend a lot of money on him, I want him to be able to use it and be happy to have it.

I was so glad he figured it out :D I was stressin'

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know anything at all about winterising a flat? :P It will be unoccupied for close to a month and I don't want the pipes to freeze... I hear the best thing would be to just drain the pipes completely, and both the property agency and the landlord agree it's the tenants' business to deal with that. I got in touch with a plumber who refuses to give me a cost estimate, and I don't want to suddenly get a £200 bill... I'd appreciate any input at all. :P

I don't know anything about winterising, but some thoughts that you probably already had yourself...

is it an alone standing house? or a row house or even an apartment building?

also, you're living relatively close to the sea, don't you? it usually doesn't get THAT cold there (-10°C or below) but on the other hand it's probably a "better safe than sorry" issue :P

could it be an option to simply leave the heating on on the lowest possible setting, just to keep it from freezing?

Yeah I suppose that's we'll have to do... maybe ask the neighbours to check on it once in a while because I don't like the thought of it running for a month without anyone checking up on it. I'd prefer not having to do that at all of course and just draining the pipes, but right now it seems like the only option.

I live quite close to the sea yeah, but like you said, better safe than sorry. And it's a badly insulated free-standing house. I don't want to take any chances :P

Turn off your main valve Seek and turn on your faucets. That should work.

Is a flat like an apartment ? If it is the valve is most likely under the sink. If it is a house it is most likely either around or under the house. You'll have to look.

Hope that helps :)

Well I have a friend who's native language is Mandarin and sometimes we have a hard time understanding each other.

I wanna ask her something and thought if I tried it in her language and then had her answer translated to English it might be accurate.

So, if I just emailed her I wonder if it would be translated into something I can understand :P

Good morning, songfactors... :cool:

I'm looking for a song, "Switchblade" from the album "Spitfire" by Jefferson Starship. It's not on youtube ot other links I could download... Does any of you have the mp3 and would like to upload it to nominate it for the Top? :grin: :angel: :angel:

I would buy the cd but I cannot find it. I know, it's on Amazon but I'm still waiting for my new mastercard and actually I only need that song (I have the album but, some years ago, an amplifier fell on the record and this vey track is unavailable now...)

Thank you in any case! :)

Does anyone know anything at all about winterising a flat? :P It will be unoccupied for close to a month and I don't want the pipes to freeze... I hear the best thing would be to just drain the pipes completely, and both the property agency and the landlord agree it's the tenants' business to deal with that. I got in touch with a plumber who refuses to give me a cost estimate, and I don't want to suddenly get a £200 bill... I'd appreciate any input at all. :P

Seek in our cabins that we used to rent out at our lake campground (this is the same that campers would do to their trailers) we would do the same as Lea suggests, drain the pipes, but after doing that we'd fill the pipes with antifreeze. That's a sure bet. Might take 3-4 gallons depending on the size of the house.

I thought of antifreeze as well, plus draining the pipes, but I'm really not confident enough to do that by myself. Plus I know nothing about the house... I don't even know where the main water valve for the flat is etc (it's not the whole house,we just rent a flat in it). In the end I just asked the neighbour to turn on the heating once in a while; I hope that will be enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I need some input on shipping some musical instruments. Some are old and expensive. At least two of them are antiques. One is very a old Gibson he's had since he was a teen, one is a Tacamini (sp) theres a classical 12 string and a beautiful black lacquer 12 string that was always my favorite of his instruments.

I think he has a banjo some where and he also wants his mandolin and his flutes.

I'm very nervous about doing this especially the guitars. Two of them don't have cases.

He wants me to send them UPS and I was want to pack as many into one box as I can. I think I should be able to send at least two at a time and a flute or two maybe.

What I was wondering is if I could just ship the guitars that have cases without putting them in a box. Would it be safe to try it that way? Also, I know I can insure them but will they cover them as antiques? Is it even a good idea to send them UPS and is there a better option?

Any suggestions on the best way to do this? If anything happens to these instruments, I'll never forgive myself :(

Wow Lea I'm not sure, but I guess the best thing to do is just go right to the Post Office or UPS/shipping office and they will tell you the best way...Seems to me the guitars that are in cases just wouldn't be safe enough...seems like the guitar and case should be packed for more protection...

Make that three votes for check with the professionals. You can also get a feel for what the final cost may end up being as well, becasue it's going to vary with the method you use.

More importantly, I just noticed Shannon is sitting at 15K for her post count! Woohoo! :D