Star Wars

PSYCHOcatholic

Woot Woot...decades of entertainment with HUGE cult/geek followings making OOBER MONEY!!

Now, on Cinemax they have been running basically marathons of Star Wars. All Six of them.

And i still cant decide my favorite. Of course i want to jump to Return of the Jedi, but yet im not sure. It might be Revenge of the Sith.

Anywho, any Star Wars fans out there?

Favorite characters? Favorite movie...which is hard to tell.

So...this is the OFFICIAL! Star Wars Thread!!

As a "Star Trek" fan, I prefer the "original trilogy. I have the "spare, no money for DFX" versions on Ye Olde Laserdisc, and have the modern "special edition" set on DVD. I have seen "Star Wars I/II/III and find it a kid's trilogy. (The best thing about #1 is Weird Al Yankovic's musical take on it in the key of "American Pie.") So, let's fire up the "Millennium Falcon" and see if we can shave a few Parsecs off Han Solo's best run. (Oy, I see Capt. Sheridan and some Rangers in Hyperspace!) :jester:

I suggest you find a copy of LucasArts' "X-Wing" and see if you can earn the Kalidor Crescent or better for taking out "Death Star." (Yes, it's a clunky DOS or Windows 98 computer game, but you won't need a PS3, Wii, or XBox to play it!) I got one for taking out every robot freighter, then wiping out every single TIE craft carried by an Imperial destroyer. (The X-Wing missiles did little more than scratch the destroyer's paint; one needs a Y-Wing plus X-Wings to take on such a "capital ship.") Yes, I was a Wing Commander I player on my crash-prone IBM Intel 80386DX minitower. :stars:

I just bought A New Hope on DVD and plan to get Empire very soon. I like ANH because it is the first (chronologically, not story wise), but I lean toward Empire because it was darker and didn't end with the heroes triumphing. And Yoda kicks a--. My favorites have always been Leia, because she is a butt kickin' female in ANH, and Han, because what girl can resist a bad boy space pirate?

My heart belongs to Episodes 4-6. I saw them when they first come out, and nothing can top the wonder and excitement I felt then.

The only one of the "earlier" episodes I'd watch again is 3. That's the only one where I actually felt something for any of the characters. Episodes 1&2???? Yawners.

Episode 3 would have been almost up to par with the original trilogy if it weren't for the gag-inducing scenes with just Anakin and Padme. I mean, at least Han and Leia were fun to watch and had personalities. Episodes 1 & 2, while watchable, were complete crap compared to the originals (of course, being the Star Wars nerd I am, I still own them). With a cast that includes Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, and Samuel Jackson, there's no excuse for how wooden the acting was. At least Yoda was still Yoda. I live by the words of Yoda. :)

I agree, Tim, there was no excuse for that horrible acting. Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher were acting newbies, but they had great chemistry. Maybe that was the problem with Episodes 1-3, the profile for those movies was higher, so the names on the marquee were bigger and the writers were more concerned with showcasing everyone instead of developing characters.

Yeah, I remember that on the documentary that came with the special edition Episode 4-6 DVDs. When the actors asked for direction, they got "do it again, but faster" or something like that.

I feel like I'm hogging this thread, but I'm an Episode 4-6 GEEK

George Lucas is a great conceptualist but a horrible director. I love the Star Wars movies as much as I love life, but man...He has no idea how to coach an actor. Even Alec Guiness sucked.

I agree with that and think that Speilburg could be accused of the same for another big hit , the " Jurrasic Park " series , though he is usually much better in other efforts .Perhaps intentionally , though , our memories of both efforts are likely filled more with the effects in each rather than the efforts of the actors .

Haha, heck no, i think its awesome! Glad to know there are girls my age out there that like talkin about that kind of stuff...

Im that kinda person where my parents always say to me that i was born in the wrong decade!

They said i should have been born in the 60's maybe thats how it is for you too!

Haha that's me too! My mom says anywhere from the 60's to the early 80's would have been great for me ha.