The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten # 18

and I thought I was the only who would like "Crocodile Rock"...

Crocodile Rock has always been one of my favorite Elton songs. In fact, this song is what turned me on to Elton when I was about 11.

*holding up my Bud and moving the Winston to one side of my mouth to yell out...*

FREEBIRD!

You, Peaches, are simply the best. :grin:

When it's not an instrumental, I like messages with the song. I guess I'm just picky that way.

I think this has to do with being a wordsmith yourself. I am exactly the same way, and I've always said that it's more the words that cause me to like or dislike a song rather than the music.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mississippi Moon, Funky Dixieland? Dept

'Southern' rockers The Doobie Brothers actually got started in Northern California, as did those other chooglin' good ole boys .. Creedence Clearwater Revival (Proud Mary , Born On The Bayou )

Good call, Master Sir bazooka. You are correct as always. But "Black Water" sounds very southern rock-ish. It makes me want to fry up some catfish and eat it with cheese grits.

Yayayayayay! Me & Tesa are very happy to see the song we picked as our #1 get the #1 slot. We have an emotional softspot for Alive by Pearl Jam, it was one of the musical peakpoints during our younger years that turned us away from Aqua Net hairspray & to start donning flannel. I still remember the black & white video playing on MTV with Rikki Rathman & "Downtown" Julie Brown in heavy rotation, like it was yesterday.

Our #2 vote by Bob Dylan also made the list, as well as Paul McCartney (no surprise ! huh)

Thanks for including our vote, we both appreciate it :)

I think this ia a very well rounded top ten. We've got a 90's song at #1, (and it is time), women in the #2 and #3 spots, solo artists, bands, went from country/southern rock to grunge. Pretty reflective of the whole family I think.

Not to mention both my nominations made it in this time! I'm amazed at that. :)

I have thoughts on the Southern/Country thing, and I guess it's just opinion. I consider Marshall Tucker "Southern Rock". They are from the south. I would call the Doobies "country rock", along with CCR and the Eagles, mostly because they are not from the south. Easily confused, as in with myself. To talk to me you may think I'm southern. I'm more country hick! ;) The song Black Water doesn't bring the great state of Mississippi to mind for me, it brings memories of sitting on a sandbar on the great river, watching the moon, listening to the music.

Thanks to Farin for an excellent job in compiling our Top Ten and updating the Archive so quickly !

We'll be looking forward to seeing Judo's graph for the month also.

:)

It is good to see something different at #1, although personally I've never understood the lyrics, or their meaning. It was their first Hit here in Australia, reaching #5 in 1992. Congratulations to Farin on nominating it.

For those nominating outside the U.S., it's probably an idea to check if your songs are known there if you want to get votes on them. I'm happy to assist if ever you want to send me a PT.

They've probably never heard of Lene Lovich or Lucky Number in America. Same with Billy J.Kramer's Do You Want To Know A Secret. I don't think it was released in the U.S., as the Beatles' original version hit #2 there.

And on behalf of all of us outside the U.S. -

Who the heck is the Marshall Tucker Band ? :grin:

:guitar:

Darryl, maybe you should find out, because I think this is their second inclusion. :P Maybe the first was just a nomination. I'm surprised at their inclusion in the top ten however, because I would've thought their appeal to be more regional.

Who the heck is the Marshall Tucker Band ?

I'm surprised at their inclusion in the top ten however, because I would've thought their appeal to be more regional.

I have to admit Can't You See is really the only Marshall Tucker song that I'm familiar with, or that gets any rock radio play in this region. The vocal phrasing is what knocks me out about it.

I think I've heard Fire On The Mountain just one time, but was suitably impressed with that as well. Definitely more 'countrified' than Skynyrd.

Hi Shawna. I know the lyrics, but do they refer to three different women?

1. His Mother

2. The woman who seduces him

3. The woman who gives him the flick OR did he marry/partner her and she's tired of him and wishes he was dead ?

:P

I prefer simple lyrics like "Awop-bop-a-loo-mop alop bam boom".

:afro:

The Marshall Tucker Band is a Southern rock band.

Originally from Spartanburg, South Carolina, the band formed in 1972, and soon signed with Capricorn Records. In 1973 they released their first EP, simply titled 'The Marshall Tucker band.

Compared to Southern rock pioneers and label-mates The Allman Brothers Band, Marshall Tucker had a more country and western feel, with the flute being a key lead instrument in their sound. "Can't You See", "Fire on the Mountain", and "This Ol' Cowboy" are among their songs that received appreciable FM radio airplay, while "Heard It in a Love Song" made it to #14 as a single on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1977.

That was from Wikipedia. Hope it helps a little, Darryl. I loved their sound and saw them twice in the 70's. Once when they opened for The Allman Bros.

Edited by Guest

Hi Carole. That was really a rhetorical question. Katie and c s may know them, but I think the MTB are virtual unknowns here in Oz. I'm not saying they aren't a good Band.

;)

I'm sure they are unknown. That's what I meant dearie. ;) I was kidding, I think most here at SF know of them. I was surprised at them making it to the top ten, because I assumed they would be unknown to y'all. Having said that...listen to them! Definately Southern Rock.

"Oh this ain't gonna be the first time this ol'cowboy has spent the night alone". This Ol' Cowboy. I love the flute on this one.

Flute ? Oh no - not Jethro Tull. ;)

They didn't exactly go over like a Led Zeppelin in Oz either.

If you guys want to listen to Hillbillies, go ahead. :grin:

I might nominate 'I got your old laaaady tooo' from my 18 (couldn't find 20) Yodelling Greats CD.

:laughing:

Edited by Guest
GEE MAW AND PAW !

Their other great song that I love is "24 Hours At A Time." I've only got their "Greatest Hits" album and it's fabulous.

My friend went to a concert of theirs many years ago and said she was mesmerized by how long that guy could hold a note. She said his lungs must be twice the size of normal people.

"And woman you're always on my mind 24 hours at a time,

So my woman, I'm hoping you feel the same way..." awww... how romantic...

Thanks for cheering me up, Shawna and Carole. Val's gone out and left me alone again. She did make me a nice sandwich for lunch and leave it in the fridge though. (Who's spoilt ?)

If I DO go to Hell, I reckon it'll be a big Supermarket where I can't find "crunchy nut cornflakes" or whatever for Eternity. I think I'll go eat lunch now and see if there's any Movies with gratuitous sax and violins on TV.

Flute ? Oh no - not Jethro Tull. ;)

They didn't exactly go over like a Led Zeppelin in Oz either.

What? People don't like flute in Australia? Prefer the didgeridoo, is it?

Seriously, what's your beef with Jethro Tull? Lyrics? Attitude? Their repertoire is pretty diverse. If you've heard a good sampling, it's hard to understand that there wouldn't be a little something you would like.

Oh Well, Different strokes for different folks.