The Stupid Thread

lonelyday

The stupid things I've done:

-There's this one traffic light that I always seem to stop at, even if it's green. Then I go "oh wait..." and start driving again.

-In history class freshman year, I asked the teacher why the Romans forgot to put arms on their statues.

-Also in freshman year, I wouldn't listen to music that didn't have guitar solos.

-In 2nd grade, I ate a ton of flowers, because my neighbor told me they tasted like honey.

-In 2nd grade, I left a bowl of pudding out all night. In the morning, I kid you not, there was a thin layer of green fuzz on it. I ate it, assuming that "the flavor had risen to the top."

-In 1st grade, I licked an extension cord. Looking back, it's kind of a miracle I didn't die.

-Last summer I ate a greasy hamburger at least once a week.

-This summer I plan on doing the same.

Well, that covers it. Those are the only stupid things I have ever done.

woah backpacks banned from schools, and clear backpacks having to be worn? :o

I don't think we have a problem with weapons being taken to school here, i guess just coz we don't have a history of any issues with this, and drugs... i dunno, one school nearby has started having bagchecks every morning to try and deal with this, but i don't think we have a big problem with that either.

-In 2nd grade, I ate a ton of flowers, because my neighbor told me they tasted like honey.

I think I did the same thing, except i probably only ate one flower... i was a really fussy eater. My cousin also tried to make me eat grass when I was little, but being a whole 1 month older than her i seemed to have more sense and didn't.

Perhaps it wasn't at a school. I seem to remember it being at a school but maybe this is what I'm recalling:

New Zealand Gunman Kills 6 and Wounds 5

Published: February 8, 1997

The police said six people were shot dead and five seriously wounded today when a gunman went on a shooting rampage on North Island.

The shootings occurred in Raurimu, near Mount Ruapehu. The killer was believed to have been armed with a 12-gauge shotgun.

The police have arrested the suspected gunman, who is reported to be 50 and possibly related to some of those who died.

New Zealand Shooting

Sadly, it is not just an American phenomena.

Nov. 8, 2005: Assistant principal Ken Bruce was killed and two other administrators seriously wounded when Kenny Bartley, a 15-year-old student, opened fire in a Jacksboro, Tennessee high school.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mar 21, 2005: Jeff Weise, 16, shot to death his grandfather and his grandfather's girlfriend and then went to his high school in Red Lake, Minnesota, where he killed a security guard, a teacher, and five students, and wounded seven others, before killing himself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nov. 24, 2004: James Lewerke, a 15-year-old student at Valparaiso High School in northern Indiana, pulled two large knives out of his pants and stabbed seven of his classmates. None of the injuries was life-threatening.

May 7, 2004: Four teenagers leaving a charity basketball game at their Randallstown, Maryland, high school were wounded, one critically, in a drive-by shooting. Among the suspects was a 17-year-old student at the school who had been involved in an earlier incident over a girl.

Apr. 3, 2004: A shot was fired from a passing car through the glass front door of the Accelerated Learnin and Transition Academy in Houston. About 200 students were in the school at the time but no one was injured.

Feb. 11, 2004: Ten-year-old Faheem Thomas-Childs was shot in the face outside T.M. Peirce Elementary School in Philadelphia. He died six days after the shooting. He was caught in a shootout between two rival gangs. The gun battle unleashed nearly 100 shots in the area as children were arriving at the school. A school crossing guard was also injured. Two men were arrested for the shooting.

Feb. 2, 2004: 17-year-old James Richardson was shot to death in Ballou Senior High School in Washington D.C. during second period. The shooting resulted from a confrontation with another student who was arrested.

Jan. 13, 2004: Following an argument, a 19-year-old entered Northern High School in Detroit and shot Aaron Wilson, 18, six times in the leg. Neither teen was a student at the school.

Nov. 14, 2003: A 15-year-old student accidently fired a handgun outside the East Mecklenburg High School (North Carolina) cafeteria injuring two students.

Oct. 30, 2003: 16-year-old Devin Fowlkes was shot to death in front of Anacostia Senior High School in Washington D.C. as he left a homecoming dance along with a crowd of students. Another student was slightly injured. A 15-year-old, who said he was aiming at someone else, was arrested and charged with murder.

Sept. 26, 2003: A 13-year-old boy fired a 9 mm semiautomatic handgun into the ceiling of a Cleveland County, North Carolina, middle school. He also fired one shot into the closed door of a classroom filled with students. No one was injured.

Sept. 24, 2003: Aaron Rollins, 17, was killed and Seth Bartell, 14, was critically wounded when 15-year-old John Jason McLaughlin walked out of a locker room at Rocori High School in Cold Spring, Minn., and shot them with a .22-caliber gun he had in his gym bag. Bartell died Oct. 10.

Apr. 24, 2003: In Red Lion, Pa., 14-year old James Sheets shot and killed his middle school principal Eugene Segro in a crowded school cafeteria and then killed himself.

Apr. 14, 2003: Gunmen armed with an AK-47 rifle and a handgun opened fire in the packed gymnasium of John McDonogh Senior High School in New Orleans. Jonathan Williams, 15, was killed and three girls were wounded in a spray of bullets. It was thought to be a revenge killing for an earlier murder. A loaded handgun was found on the victim. Four suspects were arrested.

April 29, 2002 - 17-year-old Dragoslav Petkovic opened fire with a handgun shortly after noon at his high school in Vlasenica, Bosnia-Herzegovina, killing one teacher and wounding another before taking his own life.

Apr. 26, 2002 - 19-year-old Robert Steinhaeuser, who had been expelled from Johann Gutenberg high school in Erfurt, Germany, returned to the school and shot to death 13 teachers, two students and a police officer before killing himself.

Feb. 19, 2002 - A 22-year-old gunman in Munich, Germany, killed his former boss and a foreman at the company that fired him, then went to a high school in a Munich suburb, where he shot the school's headmaster when he was unable to find the teacher he was after. He then shot another teacher in the face and set off homemade bombs before killing himself.

Jan. 15, 2002: Two students at Martin Luther King Jr. High School in Manhattan, were seriously wounded when a teenager opened fire at the school.

Nov. 13, 2001: Chris Buschbacher, 17, went to the Caro (Mich.) Learning Center armed with a .22-caliber rifle and a 20-gauge shotgun, taking a student and a teacher hostage. During a three-hour standoff, he fired two shots. The hostages were eventually released but Buschbacher, who was reportedly despondent over a breakup with his girlfriend, shot himself as police prepared to enter the building.

June 8, 2001 - Mamoru Takuma forced his way into Ikeda Elementary School in Osaka, Japan, stabbed to death eight students and injured 13 others. Takuma, who had a long history of mental illness, pleaded guilty to the crimes.

Mar. 30, 2001: Neal Boyd IV, 16, was shot to death outside Lew Wallace High School in Gary, Ind., where he was a student. 17-year-old Donald R. Burt Jr. was arrested, convicted and sentenced to 57 years in prison.

Mar. 22, 2001: Four students and two teachers were wounded at Granite Hills High School in El Cajon, Ca. None of the injuries were life-threatening. One of the wounded students, 18-year-old Jason Hoffman, was the alleged assailant. The shooting took place in a San Diego suburb just seven miles from the March 5th high school shooting.

Mar. 7, 2001: An 8th-grade girl shot a 13-year-old classmate during lunch at Bishop Neumann Junior-Senior High School in Williamsport, Pa. The suspect was arrested and the injuries were not considered life-threatening.

Mar 26, 2001 - An arson fire at the Kyanguli Secondary school in Kenya killed 67 students. Two students were charged with murder.

Unidentified students console each other after a shooting at Santana High School in Santee, Calif. (AP Photo)

Mar. 5, 2001: 15-year-old Charles Andrew Williams was arrested for killing two classmates, and wounding 13 other people, at Santana High School in Santee, Calif. In August 2002, he received a 50-year to life sentence.

Feb. 2, 2001: Two students and a teachers were reportedly grazed by gunfire at Osborn High School in Detroit. The victims were not seriously hurt, and no suspect was caught.

Jan. 17, 2001: Juan Matthews, 17, died after being shot three times while standing in front of Lake Clifton Eastern High School in Baltimore.

Oct. 24, 2000: An armed teen-ager briefly held a classroom full of children and a teacher hostage at Pioneer Elementary School in Glendale, Ariz., before surrendering to authorities. There were no injuries.

Sept. 26, 2000: A 13-year-old and a 15-year-old were critically wounded when they shot each other with the same gun. The shootings occured during a fight at Woodson Middle School in New Orleans, La. The gun had been slipped through a fence to one of the students by a 13-year-old who had been expelled from the school.

Josh Warnock is taken into custody. (AP Photo)

July 17, 2000: In Renton, Wash., near Seattle, a 13-year-old boy was charged with shooting a handgun into the ceiling of the school cafeteria. More than 100 students were in the cafeteria at the time, but no one was injured. The boy, later identified as Josh Warnock, fled and was taken into custody at the home of his grandparents the following day

May 26, 2000: In Lake Worth, Fla., 13-year-old honor student Nathaniel Brazill shot a teacher in the face, killing him. Police said the seventh-grader had been sent home for throwing water balloons and returned to the school with a handgun he found in his grandfather's dresser

Mar. 10, 2000:19-year-old Stacy Smalls and 16-year-old Ramone Kimble died from gunshot wounds they suffered as they were leaving a dance honoring the Savannah, Ga. Beach High School girls basketball state championship team. Darrell Ingram, 19, was arrested and charged with murder and aggravated assault.

Kayla Rolland

Feb. 29, 2000: A first-grade boy at Buell Elementary School in Mount Morris Township, Mich., fatally shot classmate Kayla Rolland, 6, after the two children had a verbal spat. He took the .32-caliber handgun from his uncle's home, where he was living.

Dec. 6, 1999: Seth Trickey, 13, fired at least 15-rounds at Fort Gibson Middle School in Fort Gibson, Okla., wounding four classmates. He was convicted on seven assault charges.

Nov. 19, 1999: A 13-year-old girl was shot in the head in school at Deming, New Mexico. She died the next day. 12-year-old Victor Cordova Jr. pleaded guilty to the shooting.

May 20, 1999: T.J. Solomon, 15, opened fire at Heritage High School in Conyers, Ga., wounding six students. Solomon pleaded guilty but mentally ill and was sentenced to 40 years in prison.

Apr. 28, 1999: A 14-year-old who had been bullied by his classmates, opened fire at W.R., Myers high school in Taber, Alberta, Canada, killing a 17-year-old student and wounding another student. The boy, who was obsessed with the Columbine shootings, pleaded guilty to murder and attempted murder and, in November 2000, was sentenced to three-years in jail.

Dylan Klebold - Eric Harris

Apr. 20, 1999: Columbine High School students Dylan Klebold, 17, and Eric Harris, 18, went on a shooting rampage, killing 12 of their classmates and one teacher, a Hoosier native, in Littleton, Colo. Klebold and Harris then kill themselves. The massacre was the bloodiest school shooting in U.S. history.

June 15, 1998: A male teacher and a female guidance counselor were shot in a hallway at a Richmond, Va., high school. Neither was seriously injured.

Kip Kinkle

May 21, 1998: Two students were killed and more than 20 other people wounded when Kip Kinkel, 15, opened fire at Thurston High School's cafeteria in Springfield, Ore. Earlier that day, he killed his parents. He had been expelled the day before for bringing a gun to school.

May 21, 1998: Miles Fox,15, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head in Onalaska, Wash. Earlier in the day, he boarded a high school bus with a gun in hand, ordered his girlfriend off the bus and took her to his home, where he shot himself.

May 21, 1998: A 15-year-old girl was shot and wounded at a suburban Houston, Tx., high school when a gun in the backpack of a 17-year-old boy discharged.

May 19, 1998: Three days before graduation, 18-year-old honor student Jacob Davis allegedly opened fire in a parking lot at Lincoln County High School in Fayetteville, Tenn., killing a classmate who was dating his ex-girlfriend.

Apr. 28, 1998: Two teen-age boys were shot to death and a third was wounded as they played basketball at a Pomona, Calif., elementary school hours after classes had ended. An unidentified 14-year-old boy was charged.

Apr. 24, 1998: A 48-year-old science teacher was shot to death in front of students at a graduation dance in Edinboro, Pa. Andrew Wurst, a 14-year-old student at James W. Parker Middle School, was charged. The killer was later described as depressed, alienated and a boy who never smiled.

Andrew Golden

Mitchell Johnson

Mar. 24, 1998: Four girls and a teacher were shot to death and 10 others wounded during a false fire alarm at Westside Middle School in Jonesboro, Ark. Two boys, Andrew Golden, 11, and Mitchell Johnson, 13, were accused of setting off the alarm and then opening fire from a nearby woods.

Dec. 1, 1997: Three students were killed and five others wounded as they took part in a prayer circle in a hallway at Heath High School in West Paducah, Ky. Michael Carneal, 14, described as emotionally immature, plead guilty but mentally ill and was sentenced to life.. One of the wounded girls was paralyzed.

Oct. 1, 1997: 16-year-old outcast Luke Woodham of Pearl, Miss., was sentenced to life in prison for killing his mother, then going to Pearl High School and shooting nine students. Two students died, including the suspect's ex-girlfriend.

March 30, 1997: Mohammad Ahmad al-Naziri, 48, armed with an assault rifle, opened fire on hundreds of students at two school in Sanaa, Yemen. Six children and two others died. He was sentenced to death and executed by firing squad one week after the incident.

Feb. 19, 1997: 16-year-old Evan Ramsey opened fire with a shotgun in a common area at a Bethel, Alaska, high school, killing the principal and a student and wounding two others. Ramsey was sentenced to two 99-year prison terms.

Thomas Hamilton killed 17 people, and then himself, at a Scotland elementary school. (AP Photo)

Mar. 13, 1996: Thomas Hamilton, 43, dressed in black and wearing earmuffs to protect himself from the noise, entered an elementary school in Dunblane, Scotland, and sprayed 105 bullets into the gym striking 29 people before killing himself. Sixteen five and 6-year-olds and a teacher died.

Feb. 2, 1996: 14-year-old Barry Loukaitis walked into algebra class with a hunting rifle in his trenchcoat and opened fire, killing the teacher and two students. A third student was injured during the shooting at a junior high school in Moses Lake, Wash.

Jan. 18, 1993: Scott Pennington, 17, walked into Deanna McDavid's English class at East Carter High School in Grayson, Ky., and shot her in the head. He then shot janitor Marvin Hicks. Pennington was sentenced to life without parole

May 1, 1992: Eric Houston, 20, killed four people and wounded 10 in a seige at his former high school in Olivehurst, Ca. The attack was said to be in retaliation for a failing grade. Houston was convicted and sentenced to death.

Jan. 17, 1989: Patrick Purdy, 26, armed with an AK-47 assault rifle, opened fire on a playground at a Stockton, Ca., elementary school. Five children died and 29 children and one teacher were wounded before Purdy killed himself.

Sept. 26, 1988: James Wilson, 19, opened fire in a Greenwood, S.C. elementary school. He shot seven students and two teachers. Two 8-year-old girls died.

May 20, 1988: Laurie Dann, 30, shot six students at a Winnetka, Ill., elementary school, killing one second-grader. She then shot a man in a nearby house before committing suicide.

Jan. 21, 1985: James Alan Kearbey, 14, armed with a M1-A semiautomatic rifle and a .357-caliber handgun, killed the principal and wounded two teachers and a student at his Goddard (Kansas) Junior high school. He pleaded no contest and served seven years in a state youth facility.

Jan. 29, 1979: Brenda Spencer, 16, opened fire with a .22-caliber rifle at an elementary school across the street from her San Diego, Ca., home. She killed two people and wounded seven because she "didn't like Mondays". She is in prison.

Perhaps it wasn't at a school. I seem to remember it being at a school but maybe this is what I'm recalling:

New Zealand Gunman Kills 6 and Wounds 5

Published: February 8, 1997

The police said six people were shot dead and five seriously wounded today when a gunman went on a shooting rampage on North Island.

The shootings occurred in Raurimu, near Mount Ruapehu. The killer was believed to have been armed with a 12-gauge shotgun.

The police have arrested the suspected gunman, who is reported to be 50 and possibly related to some of those who died.

I can't believe I can't remember this, but I guess I was only 9 and wouldn't have really understood that kind of thing. Some of the information is inaccurate, I found out about it at:

http://www.crime.co.nz/c-files.asp?ID=302

"The Anderson family had invited family and friends from Wellington to join them at their ski lodge for what was a long public holiday weekend.

By days end on February 8, six people would be dead and four wounded through the actions of Stephen Lawrence Anderson a 25 year old unemployed man of Wellington, a young man with a history of mental illness.

The dead included Neville Robin Anderson, 60, Anthony Gordon McCarty, 63, John Frederick Mathews, 28, Stephen Mark Hansen, 38, Andrea Joy Brander, 52, all of Wellington and Hendrick Dirk Van de Wetering, 51, of Raurimu...

Anderson had had a history of mental illness since being diagnosed in 1995 as schizophrenic. Although prescribed drugs for this condition, his family doubted that he had been taking these drugs as regularly as prescribed...

Anderson was found not guilty of murder by reason of insanity. He will be detained in hospital indefinitely as a special patient."

It's really scary... as far as I know there have been no school shootings in NZ, although I think we have a high teen depression/ suicide rate.

musical interlude:

Jeremy ~ Pearl Jam

At home

Drawing pictures

Of mountaintops

With him on top

Lemin yellow sun

Arms raised in a V

Dead lay in pools of maroon below

Daddy didn't give attention

To the fact that mommy didn't care

King Jeremy the wicked

Ruled his world

Jeremy spoke in class today

Clearly I remember

Picking on the boy

Seemed a harmless little f*ck

But we unleashed a lion

Gnashed his teeth

And bit the recess ladies breast

How could I forget

He hit me with a surprise left

My jaw left hurtin

Dropped wide open

Just like the day

Like the day I heard

Daddy didn't give affection

And the boy was something that mommy wouldn't wear

King Jeremy the wicked

Ruled his world

Try to forget this...

Try to erase this...

From the blackboard.

Jeremy spoke in, spoke in

Jeremy spoke in, spoke in

Good lord Marc, seeing those separate incidents laid out like that....scary, and very sad.

It puts me in mind of the Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman) novel Rage. Written in 1977, long before school violence was a regular occurence. At the time I thought wow, great story. King has said that while he is against censorship of any kind, or "removing" books from school libraries (as has been done in some places with The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn!) he would prefer this one to be gone. If you haven't read it, it's just an awful, fictional precursor to real, present day events...

At a high school near where I live two 17 year old girls went to trial for conspiracy for murder. The leader of the two wanted to kill another girl because she talked to her boyfriend. The two girls left threatening notes, emails, and then a message on the girl's answering machine not to come to school or she would die. After the two girls were arrested, the one girl testified against the leader girl. Their plan was to kill the girl, cut her up and scatter the body parts over the county and head to Florida. The leader girl got one year in a dentention center and the other 6 months!! That is all!! When did a boyfriend mean so much that you would kill over him?? What has happened to kids?? It is scary and I look at Emily and wonder what school will be like for her.

Here's where you can share the stupid things you've heard or seen.. or even done yourself.

Over this past weekend I was conversing to a 25 year old friend who was relating how he spent Friday night at a local club with buddies. I casually asked if his group went there looking for women and he started to go into detail about how guys don't always go out "looking for women!" I said, "You don't have to explain it to me. I was a guy, once."

Last week in the news I read that a woman left her puppy in the car while she went into the movies with her two children....It happened to be 95 degrees out that day, and a passerby noticed the puppy laying on the backseat....they called 911 but couldn't save it in time.... :puppyeyes:

what the heck are these people thinking.... :mad: