Deep Throat!

I don't know if anyone cares, but I am fascinated by this...

Woodward & Bernstein Confirm: Felt Was "DeepThroat"

The Washington Post late this afternoon confirmed that W. Mark Felt, the former FBI official, was legendary Watergate source "Deep Throat."

Following half a day of speculation set off by a report in the July issue of Vanity Fair, the final word came from Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein, the two Washington Post reporters who broke the Watergate story, and their former top editor, Benjamin C. Bradlee.

Woodward said he is writing an article for Thursday's Post that will provide a personal account.

In a statement, Woodward and Bernstein said, "W. Mark Felt was 'Deep Throat' and helped us immeasurably in our Watergate coverage. However, as the record shows, many other sources and officials assisted us and other reporters for the hundreds of stories that were written in The Washington Post about Watergate."

They had kept the identity of Deep Throat secret at the source's request, saying his name would be revealed upon his death.

"We've kept that secret because we keep our word," Woodward said.

Bradlee told the Post today, "The thing that stuns me is that the goddamn secret has lasted this long." He said he had never met Felt and wouldn't know him if he fell over him. He only learned his identify just after Nixon's resignation.

According to the newspaper, "Woodward said Felt helped The Post at a time of tense relations between the White House and much of the FBI hierarchy. He said the Watergate break-in came shortly after the death of legendary FBI director J. Edgar Hoover, Felt's mentor, and that Felt and other bureau officials wanted to see an FBI veteran promoted to succeed Hoover.

"Felt himself had hopes that he would be the next FBI director, but Nixon instead appointed an administration insider, assistant attorney general L. Patrick Gray, to the post."

Bradlee, in an interview this afternoon, told the Post that knowing Deep Throat was a high-ranking FBI official "helped him feel confident about the information that the paper was publishing about Watergate." He called someone in that position "a pretty good source...I knew the paper was on the right track."

hehe, it's an unfortunate name alright!

i find this fascinating as well, i've been watching the coverage on cnn. if i were him, i'd so have come out with the truth now too - what's the point in dying without enjoying any of the recognition?! i think he was very brave to do what he did, although there is that theory that he did so for revenge when he passed over for promotion. but whatever his motives, he has certainly left his mark on history!

I heard the news on the internet, on netscape.com's homepage. When I mentioned to my mom that Deep Throat was identified, she said "You should see that movie, it was really good!" I was shocked to hear my mom telling me I should watch the movie Deep Throat, but she said she actually meant the movie "All The President's Men" which is about Watergate.

Ok, since we are putting the kibosh on the term "dork", I will say all brainiacs who are fascinated by this story stand up and be counted! I am so thrilled to know the identity of Deep Throat. I have wondered about this for many years now. And now, as a complete non sequitor to the the other "Deep Throat," Courtney Love is supposed to play Linda Lovelace in a movie about her life. No jokes necessary.

Diggs wrote:

I'm amazed nobody has mentioned Ms Lewinski.

Monica who???

Unless a video tape of that event surfaces soon, she'll be a washed up, has been, before you know it. 15 minutes of fame for her.

She'll never be a classic like Linda Lovelace, Pamela Lee Anderson or Paris Hilton. They had video and video sells.

Sorry Sammy, but I promised her I would only use it for my own personal use in the future... and a promise is a promise. :angel:

Aw, what the hell! I wanna become famous too! I'll sent it to you but you have to promise to put it on the internet as quickly as possible. :thumbsup: