Deep Throat!

Peaches,

Perhaps it would have been best kept a secret as it has been interesting to note how nearly 30 years later, in a more patriotic time , and with Republicans having largely shed their 'bad-guy' image , many analysts view Felt's actions as 'disloyal', 'dishonorable', and 'vengeful', rather than helping topple an administration that thrived on illegal and questionable activities. Ahh, revisionist history ... what's next --Nixon, the hero ? Lincoln, the war-mongering meglomaniac ?

Maybe I've been watching too much "liberal media", but I don't have that impression at all. Most of what I've seen or read about Felt has been positive. I have heard a few rumblings that he was just trying to get revenge because he was passed over as the head of the FBI.

And I don't know about the Republicans shedding their bad guy image. The last approval rating for Bush was 45% favorable. That doesn't seem like a resounding success to me.

Maybe I've been watching too much "liberal media", but I don't have that impression at all. Most of what I've seen or read about Felt has been positive. I have heard a few rumblings that he was just trying to get revenge because he was passed over as the head of the FBI.

And I don't know about the Republicans shedding their bad guy image. The last approval rating for Bush was 45% favorable. That doesn't seem like a resounding success to me.

I may have overstated with the word 'many' , however, the much more limited access to American media here has thus far given me that impression . As he (Felt) is unlikely to say , or be able to say much on his own behalf , I'm looking forward to Woodward's summation of the events . By 'bad guy' , I meant that the air of outright hostility, suspicion , and complete lack of confidence in the White House (presidency) , IMO , is not the same as during that time ( inflation, and an oil crisis aren't as severe, either ) -- though there certainly appears to be some of that around the current administration.

Isn't 45% a rather normal popularity number when nothing is presently up for grabs and people have no need to polarize ... meaning no elections are pending ? Such a number would be satisfactory in Canada , and in Japan , at least .... To get even 45% of any group here or in Canada to say they support the government during a non-election period is considered an achievement ( not a great one, but no big problem yet) , as it doesn't mean that 55% are against -- as most are apathetic .

By 'bad guy' , I meant that the air of outright hostility, suspicion , and complete lack of confidence in the White House (presidency) , IMO , is not the same as during that time ( inflation, and an oil crisis aren't as severe, either ) -- though there certainly appears to be some of that around the current administration.

Oh, I see what you mean.

Isn't 45% a rather normal popularity number when nothing is presently up for grabs and people have no need to polarize ... meaning no elections are pending ?

I read that this was the lowest ever approval rating for a second term president. I can't back that up with substantial proof, so I won't state it as absolute fact. It is something to chew on, though.