OLD 55's ONGOING MUSIC KNOWLEDGE QUIZ

OLD 55

Hi All. I'm sorry to tell you that we haven't got the one that he introduced verbatim as "one of the saddest songs I've ever heard" on one of his VERY early appearances on the Ed Sullivan "Tonight" TV show. DON'T FORGET these were Elvis' words and we may not consider the song to be sad at all. (THERE'S A COUPLE OF CLUES TO WORK WITH)! Also,

it's NOT a gospel song. You're on 2 points for Honorable Mention so far though Windy. I would have thought on those lines too !

I'm certainly no expert on his discology and haven't heard his Hank Williams' covers, but I'm going to search them out and have a listen. It doesn't surprise me at all that he covered those - he knew a good song when he heard it. Forget some of the garbage he sang in some of his many forgettable movies that his greedy manager signed him for at $750.000 a time.

Expert: X the unknown quantity, and SPURT a big drip. :) :)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it 'hound dog' perchance?

Elvis Presley, during his second appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, October 28, 1956. While introducing his final number, he teased, "I'd like to tell you that we're going to do a sad song for you..." Keeping everyone on edge, he swung his arm in the air as though he were about to break into song, then looked at the audience and stopped. At last, he launched into a fast-paced rendition of "Hound Dog," the song that had caused perhaps the most memorable controversy of the rock 'n' roll era when he performed it a few months earlier on The Milton Berle Show. He could not have chosen a song that had more significance, given his TV appearances over the last year, and he could not have given a more explosive performance of that signature song.

he introduced verbatim as "one of the saddest songs I've ever heard" on one of his VERY early appearances on the Ed Sullivan "Tonight" TV show.

Apparently, this is the list we get to choose from (according to fiftiesweb.com):

9/9/1956

"Don't Be Cruel," "Hound Dog," "Reddy Teddy" and "Love Me Tender."

10/28/1956

"Don't Be Cruel," "Love Me Tender" and "Hound Dog."

1/6/1957

This is the only "above the waist" performance

"Hound Dog," "Love Me Tender," "Heartbreak Hotel," "Don't Be Cruel," "Peace in the Valley" "Too Much" and "When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold Again."

Another interesting footnote:

"In 1956 Sullivan was severly injured in a head on car crash and missed five Sundays of shows. Guest hosts were Phil Silvers, Patti Page, Kirk Douglas, Red Skelton and Charles Laughton. And so it was that Laughton introduced Elvis on his first Sullivan appearance. Although that was not Elvis' introduction to TV as he had appeared on the Dorsey Brothers, Milton Berle and the Steve Allen Shows."

is it 'hound dog' perchance?

:coolio: YES. Congratulations SoulGirl. 5 Big Points to you ! :)

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ ON GOOGLE. The date's right, but that's about all! He didn't close with "Hound Dog" - a common misconception - that was during his first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. He closed with "Peace In The Valley" performed beautifully a capella with his backing group, The Jordanaires. I have lots more info on this, but I won't bore you with it.

HERE IS THE EXACT WORDING OF ELVIS' STATEMENT BEFORE HE PERFORMED "HOUND DOG" "Ladies and gentlemen..uh..could I have your attention please..uh..I'd like to say that we're gonna do a.... sad song for you. This song is one of the saddest songs * we've ever heard. It really tells a story friends. Beautiful lyrics...it goes something like this".

* I said "I've", should have been "we've". I've just played the footage and listened to it four times.

:guitar:

10/28/1956

"Don't Be Cruel," "Love Me Tender" and "Hound Dog."

Very good post Bazooka. I have footage of most of those appearances you mentioned.

You can add "Love Me" and "Peace In The Valley" to the 28 October 1956 performance.

This was not long after the Russian invasion of Hungary and Elvis DID change his mind during the interval about which song he'd perform as his closing number, thinking "Peace In The Valley" to be more appropriate. He actually cried at the end of the number.

Ed Sullivan had made an appeal for donations to the "Hungarian Relief Fund" before this - not knowing that Elvis had decided to change the closing song. Elvis said to the audience "May God bless you as He's blessed me" after Ed's appeal.

Ed was teed off at Elvis beforehand because of a couple of stifled pelvic thrusts to tease the cameraman (Elvis knew about the directive to film him only from the waist up if he started to "misbehave"), but when Elvis finished the song, Ed made his now famous "speech" praising Elvis as a "real deep and fine boy". :)

When you all get to the next question, let me know.

I know it's B.Y.T. jr, but it's HISTORY. Surely Elvis' life story must have been of of the greatest paradoxes of all time. I think he was innately Good, but a very weak man in so many ways. I can't understand WHY he submitted so meekly to the "Colonel's" control of his life. It was only in latter years that Elvis started to defy him. NO WONDER!The "Colonel" turned down some great Movie roles for Elvis -notably Jon Voight's award winning character in "Midnight Cowboy" and Kris Kristofferson's character opposite Barbra Streisand in "A Star Is Born". ::

HERE'S A NEW QUESTION:

What do these great artists have in common ?

Jimi Hendrix

Tom Petty

Link Wray

Johnny Cash

Buffy Sainte-Marie

Pat and Lollie Vegas (Redbone)

Hope it's NOT on Google. I usually check first. :)

POINTS TO DATE

addictedtoclassic 24

Elvish 21

edna 16

SoulGirl 13

jrownsdega 8

bluesboy 7

HDThoreau 6

Newbie Jr 5

UncleJoe 5

miamisammy 5

Windy1 4

DiggsUK 3

RogerWaters90125 2

Foxy1983 1

TenYearsGone 1

Tenacious Peaches 1

Bazooka 1

They all use a form of their actual name as an alias?

Hi Aaron. I didn't recognize you with the new avatar. I don't think so Mate. I don't ever recall Link Wray performing under an alias or pseudoynm. Good on you for having a GO ! I don't think I'll use any more Elvis questions ( unless it's Elvis Costello). :)

I think it's "Mama Liked the Roses" and if that's not the right answer, it should be. That song was on an Elvis Christmas compilation and absolutely killed me when I heard it the first time.

BTW, I love OLD55 for this thread. We need something to make our brains bleed from the exertion. ::

THANK YOU Peaches :) I don't know if that song is about Gladys, but you're right, it's a beautiful song. I wonder if he DID do any tribute/ remembrance songs for her? He was a very private person with his grief. He wouldn't even watch "Loving You" after her death because she and Vernon had bit parts in it. :(

I should have read Edna's post properly. Sorry! Maybe it could have been one of the songs he privately recorded for her at Sun, "My Happiness" or "That's When Your Heartaches Begin" ? :)

I was WAG'n that one. Shot in the dark because I can't think of any relation between any of them.

I had to choose them carefully so there wouldn't be other similarities besides what I'm thinking of; eg, 6 of them (?)played quitar. I don't think Buffy Sainte-Marie did (?) and 4 of them wrote songs (not Link Wray or the Vegas brothers that I know of). Oh, and 6 of them are male of course. :D

AMENDED QUESTION

What do these great artists have in common ?

Jimi Hendrix

Tom Petty

Link Wray

Johnny Cash

Buffy Sainte-Marie

Pat and Lollie Vegas

Do they all have native American blood in them?

:coolio: THAT'S IT ! WELL DONE UNCLE :thumbsup:

Pat and Lollie Vegas were with the Native American group Redbone who had some great songs in the 70s. "The Witch Queen Of New Orleans" was a Big Hit for them in Australia. The others are all part Native American and of course Johnny Cash was an advocate of "Indian rights" (I hope that expression is OK - it's certainly not my intention to offend anyone). I don't know all their tribal history, except that Jimi Hendrix was one quarter Cherokee.

POINTS NOW ARE:

addictedtoclassic 25

Elvish 21

edna 16

SoulGirl 13

UncleJoe 10

jrownsdega 8

bluesboy 7

HDThoreau 6

Newbie Jr 5

miamisammy 5

Windy1 4

DiggsUK 3

RogerWaters90125 2

Foxy1983 1

TenYearsGone 1

Tenacious Peaches 1

Bazooka 1

NEW QUESTION: (Well it is ongoing! This can be for the Night Owls. It probably favours the ladies too !)

These singers all had girlfriends with SOMETHING IN COMMON. What is it?

Chris Isaak

Bruce Springsteen

Axl Rose

John Cougar Mellencamp

I know Stephanie Seymour was Axl Roses´s grilfriend, and she´s top model. Bruce Springsteen also dated a model before his first marriage (then he married Patti Scialfa); Chris Isaac was dating Sonya Chang, also a model. And Mellencamp... I know he got married very young, but don´t know about his ex, or what happened after.

They were models...

:coolio: EXCELLENT ! WELL DONE EDNA. HEY - IS THAT YOUR FIRST WIN? :D

John Cougar Mellencamp/ Elaine Irwin

Axl Rose/ Stephanie Seymour

Bruce Springsteen/ Julianne Phillips

Chris Isaak/ Helena Christiansen/ Sonya Chang (Thanks Edna. I don't know of her)

I'll update the points tomorrow. Guess I'd better pose a NEW QUESTION. before I go to bed. HMMM. :shades:

WHAT DO THESE 3 ACTS HAVE IN COMMON MUSICALLY ?

Nancy Sinatra, Rita Coolidge, Guns 'N' Roses.

Night all. :sleepy:

:coolio: EXCELLENT ! WELL DONE EDNA. HEY - IS THAT YOUR FIRST WIN? :D

John Cougar Mellencamp/ Elaine Irwin

Axl Rose/ Stephanie Seymour

Bruce Springsteen/ Julianne Phillips

Chris Isaak/ Helena Christiansen/ Sonya Chang (Thanks Edna. I don't know of her)

I'll update the points tomorrow. Guess I'd better pose a NEW QUESTION. before I go to bed. HMMM. :shades:

WHAT DO THESE 3 ACTS HAVE IN COMMON MUSICALLY ?

Nancy Sinatra, Rita Coolidge, Guns 'N' Roses.

Night all. :sleepy:

That sucks, I knew the answer to that last one but I don't get into work early enough.

For this question...

They all have a song featured in a James Bond movie?

I guess you got it, Addicted! Now we´ll have to wait until 55 gets back... See, that´s the problem living in such distant places as America, Australia, Europe, Japan, Ireland ( ;))... (I knew the answer to the last q too but I was sleeping... :sleepy:)

But that´s better like this, if not it would be a chat or something like that...