Old school Punk

fightthepower

Does any one on this site like the "crap" I do like DK, The Clash,Ramones,Damned, Sex Pistols, Uk Subs, The Queers, Bad Brains, and even some post punk like the Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, Misfits, and other stuff like that. Also pre-punk like Mc5, Velvet Underground, and yes i consider phychadelic left wing rock "punk"

Finally, another punk on this board. Dead Kennedys are the greatest punk band ever. You should check out some modern west-coast stuff like Bouncing Souls, Tsunami Bomb, and The Distillers. Also never call yourself punk if you listen to Sex Pistols, they are corporate punk. You also forgot a few classics like The Pogues and The Clash.

Hell yeah! All of that s**t RULZ :rockon: The Damned, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, Generation X, The Dead Boys, Sham 69, and New Wave crap like The Buzzcocks, The Stranglers, Ultravox!, The Jam, The Fall... too many to mention!

You should get the soundtracks to Suburbia and Repo Man to get a good sampling of great bands from way back.

Well there's a turn up for the books! Mentions for the UK Subs and Sham69. You must also add Stiff Little Fingers, IMO one of the greats and the reference point for most of the riffs used by modern 'punk' bands.

Must add Discharge, the Exploited and Angelic Upstarts.

XXX, did you spend some time in the UK at any point? I am always impressed by your knowledge of UK music of the late 70s-early 80s. You are a man who knows his onions, for sure.

Regards

Well there's a turn up for the books! Mentions for the UK Subs and Sham69. You must also add Stiff Little Fingers, IMO one of the greats and the reference point for most of the riffs used by modern 'punk' bands.

Must add Discharge, the Exploited and Angelic Upstarts.

XXX, did you spend some time in the UK at any point? I am always impressed by your knowledge of UK music of the late 70s-early 80s. You are a man who knows his onions, for sure.

Regards

You know? I was thinking about editing my post to include The Angelic Upstarts and then I quickly forgot =:P I was gonna also say Wire and Magazine, but then we'd be getting into shady areas as to what really constitutes real Punk. So I'd have to recommend T.S.O.L. to make things better ::

I've never been to the UK. But the music ranging from 1977 to 1983 is what most of my collection is composed of :headphones: For the most part, the bulk of good music - music that I like - has come from the UK (esp. around those times). There don't seem to be that many SynthPop, New Romantic, Goth, and New Wave fans on this side, though :P

I haven't really heard much of old school punk, but what I heard is great. It's a whole different quality of music. I hate modern punk though. Really, all I've heard of old school punk are the Ramones, Sex Pistols, and the Clash. I would like to hear more, but unfortunately I don't have the money or the illegal downloading software.

The Business and The Agnostic Front are also great Punk, but then, you're getting into really really hardcore material that leads up to Oi! and Straight Edge turf - not for the faint of heart. I dunno if that would be your cup o' tea, but if you dig The Angelic Upstarts, then you might as well go for the really good stuff. Also check out Skrewdriver, The 4-Skins, Minor Threat (pretty much all that East Coast scene from the Dischord label is up for grabs). A bit of Skate Punk too wouldn't be too shabby - it's what I'd truly refer to as "modern Punk." NOFX, The Adolescents, and The Suicidal Tendencies, to name a few. This is the stuff I grew up listening to in Orange County, which in itself had its own group of Punk and Ska bands :headphones:

• 1 year later...

Finally, another punk on this board. Dead Kennedys are the greatest punk band ever. You should check out some modern west-coast stuff like Bouncing Souls, Tsunami Bomb, and The Distillers. Also never call yourself punk if you listen to Sex Pistols, they are corporate punk. You also forgot a few classics like The Pogues and The Clash.

WHAT??!! I suggest you do a bit of reading and learn your history, man! For starters, I would recommend "England's Dreaming" by John Savage, followed by "The Clash: the Return of the Last Gang in Town" by Marcus Gray. There seems to be some kind of Stalinist revisionism going on, 'cos as I browse this site, I keep coming across folks dissing the Pistols and bigging up The Clash, and frankly, it's getting on my tits. The Pistols were the real deal, The Clash a bunch of former pub-rockers who jumped the bandwagon. They were a great band too,and went on to do great things, while the Pistols went down the toilet spectacularly after Lydon left, leaving Malcolm McLaren to milk the cash cow. But if anything The Clash are the more symbolic of the "corporate punk" you reckon to disdain. Get a grip.

The Ruts

X-Ray Spex

The Adverts

Chelsea

Penetration

Angelic Upstarts

Adam and the Ants

Stiff Little Fingers

The Undertones

The Outcasts

Wire

The Skids

The Rezillos...

not to mention (takes a deep breath)...

CRASS

Flux of Pink Indians

RUDIMENTARY PENI

Subhumans

GBH

Vice Squad

Blitz

Demob

Anti Pasti

Cult Maniax

Dead Kennedys

Butthole Surfers

Millions of Dead Cops

Bad Brains

Alice Donut

Big Black

These are a few of my favourite things....

Edited by Guest

The Clash a bunch of former pub-rockers who jumped the bandwagon

That has to be the funniest thing I've ever read.

The Clash started a whole other genre of punk, to say that they jumped on the bandwagon that the Sex Pistols started, is ignorant. The Clash were very different from The Clash in many ways, first of all they were MUCH better song writers than The Sex Pistols. They wrote thoughtful songs(most of the time), they weren't into the whole "being a nihilist is cool" fad and IMO they were better musicans.

That has to be the funniest thing I've ever read.

The Clash started a whole other genre of punk, to say that they jumped on the bandwagon that the Sex Pistols started, is ignorant. The Clash were very different from The Clash in many ways, first of all they were MUCH better song writers than The Sex Pistols. They wrote thoughtful songs(most of the time), they weren't into the whole "being a nihilist is cool" fad and IMO they were better musicans.

Okay, I concede that my "pub-rockers / bandwagon-jumpers" statement was a bit flippant, although I maintain that there is some truth in it. Putting things in their historical context: at the time punk "happened", Strummer was several years older than he claimed (son of a diplomat and public-school educated), had previously been a "folkie" and had more recently been fronting The 101ers- a pub-rock band. Mick Jones had been in a string of unsuccessful glam pub-bands. (Simenon was a total novice, they had no permanent drummer) The Pistols, on the other hand, were a bunch of raw teenagers without such a "shady past", whose blisteringly intense live performances directly influenced Strummer, (amongst many others) in determining the way he wanted to go. (Which is not to say that he hadn't already been recognised as quite an energetic live performer himself) What then ensued was a symbiotic relationship between the bands, which included mutual respect and an element of rivalry.(This was replicated in the antics of the bands managers, McLaren and Bernie Rhodes)

In any case, if you've read my post in its entirety, did I suggest that The Clash were inferior musically or otherwise? I don't think I did. I've got stacks of their records, have listened to them loads over the last 20 years. Some rank amongst my "all-time faves"

The difficulty is, as I suggested previously, that The Sex Pistols can only fairly be judged on the strength of their one LP "Never Mind the Bollocks" Post-Rotten, everything else was a McLaren-led farce, including the marketing of "Sid Vicious" . The Clash, as you rightly point out, developed, matured, experimented and pioneered other music forms.I would agree that, ultimately they were better song-writers and musicians. The point of my original post was to dispute the notion that The Pistols represent "corporate punk" whilst The Clash did not. I can't see any justification for that point of view at all, given that they signed up (with indecent haste) to a major label (CBS:multi-national corporation / weapons manufacturers) and capitalised (very much) on their distinctive punk-rock imagery, (which, incidentally, included a distinct whiff of the military about it)If anything, I would suggest The Clash had at least as much the stench of "corporate punk" about them, if not more. Hence my concern about "historical revisionism".There is an enormous amount of "mythology" surrounding both bands, which has no doubt influenced the current perception of each. I alone am not able to debunk this mythology, hence my suggestion of some "relevant reading".

Whatever, however much i like / respect / admire the ouevre of The Clash, I have to say that their first album sounds tinny and dated when compared to "Never Mind the Bollocks".

Ok?

whilst The Clash did not. I can't see any justification for that point of view at all, given that they signed up (with indecent haste) to a major label (CBS:multi-national corporation / weapons manufacturers)

The Pistols released their album with EMI (or maybe Warner in the US?), and terminated their contract soon after, as the single "Anarchy in the UK" couldn´t be played on the radio. A&M tried to sign them and finally they signed up with Virgin for "God save the Queen". Virgin was a new independent label by then but I´m sure the Pistols would have love to be with CBS or RCA or any major.

Sorry, I forgot to quote...

Edited by Guest