ROCK'S GREATEST SAD SONG??

guitarshredder

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

o yeah and wild horses and gimme shelter r sad and i think sway is kinda sad off of sticky fingers. So is Sister morphine. All of those r stones songs by the way. and cant u here me-no nevermind thats not sad.

But i stil havent found what im looking for by u2 is also sad

i think most songs are kinda sad actually, and most sad songs r better then happy songs. So my list goes on and on so ill try to stop here. :headphones:

-i was formerly sal-

greatest sad song...

"Without You(can't live if living is without you)" -badfinger

"In My Life" -beatles

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" -beatles

"The Raing Song" - Led zeppelin (okay not really sad)

"Little Wing" -a lot of people, Clapton, Hendrix

i have a folder on my computer for sad songs

American pie-Don Mclean

Everybody hurts-R.E.M

Stairway to Heaven-Led Zepplin

Goodbye yellow brick road-elton john

Rocket man-elton john

Something in the way-nirvana

Under the bridge-rhcp

Creep-radiohead

Don't cry-gnr

Time of your life-green day

She-green day

other songs i cant think of

How is Stairway to Heaven sad?, it's not. It just makes you wonder. :)

There are too many for me to agree, with but one that everyone left out has to be

Bob Dylan - Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Mama put my guns in the ground

I can't shoot them anymore

The Who - Behind Blue Eyes

Seal - Kiss from a Rose

alot of stuff from Journey

The Doors - This is the End

David Bowie - Ground Control to Major Tom (Space Odyssey) (I don't really know what it's called.

Finally someone mentioned Knockin on Heaven's door. And I find it insane that nobody has mentioned Bruce Springsteen, one of the greatest sad, acoustic singers of all time.

Here's my list:

1. Bruce Springsteen - Born in the Usa Acoustic

2. Don Henley - End of the Innocence

3. Sting - Fields of Gold

4. Bruce Springsteen - The River

5. Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven

6. Jackson Browne - For a Dancer

7. Bob Dylan - Knockin on Heaven's Door

8. Green Day - Time of Your Life

9. Bruce Springsteen - Brilliant Disguise

10. Simon and Garfunkel - Sound of Silence

11. Pearl Jam - Better Man (Makes me cry everytime)

12. Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town

13. John Lennon - Imagine (Only because his message is impossible)

14. Tom Petty - Learning to Fly (sounds happy, but sad when you think about it)

15. Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska

So many excellent contributions thus far--many that have been mentioned are some of my favorites of all time. Though I could probably compile a list of my own I will offer one song: Working Class Hero by Lennon (see signature below.) Not only is it a heartbreaking account of the pain of his upbringing, its last lines are an eerie foreshadowing of his death. Powerful and chilling all the way around.

David Bowie - Ground Control to Major Tom (Space Odyssey) (I don't really know what it's called.

I always thought it was titled "Space Oddity."

"The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot is a very evocatively sad song. Especially if the listener places themself into the scenes described... such a sense of hopeless helplessness.

OK, so my list is huge, but I've seen MANY of them already listed (ie: Drive by the Cars and Tears in Heaven-Clapton, to name a slight few. Other songs that put me into the waterworks (yes...I'm a girl) that I did not see listed (sorry if they were) are as follows:

No More Drama--Mary J. Blige (more hip hop though)

Holiday--Green Day (listen to the words)

Dust in the Wind--Kansas

If I'd Been the One--38 Special

Paint It Black--The Rolling Stones (ya'll remember when this was the theme to a show called "Tour of Duty"?...still makes me bawl)

Fields of Gold--Sting/Eva Cassidy (really listen to the words)

Jack & Diane--John Cougar Mellancamp (again...listen to the words...it's so true)

Wonderful World--Louis Armstrong/Izzy K. (sorry, not really rock)

Change of Heart--Cyndi Lauper

Vincent--Don McLean

Run for the Roses--Dan Fogelburg

Wake Me Up When Sept. Ends--Green Day

With or Without You--U2

Show Me the Way--Styx

Teach Your Children--CSN (not too sad, but makes me bawl)

Cat's in the Cradle--Cat Stevens

Puff the Magic Dragon--PP&M (guarantees tears)

Beth--KISS

The Best of Times--Styx

True Colors--Cyndi Lauper

I'll See You in My Dreams--Joe Brown (done with a Uke, for George Harrison after his passing...can be found on the album "Concert for George"...too touching)

Sadly, I know there's many I missed and many other excellent ones that have already been mentioned, so I'll bore you no more. In reflection, me thinks I must cry often. Thanks for reading :sleepy:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For me- it's "Tender" by Blur. My oldest daughter had a baby boy born in May of 1999. I still had two slightly younger daughters living at home then. My oldest daughter's son was "code blue'd" within 2 minutes of his birth, and she and I basically almost lived at the hospital near where he was born for the next three weeks. Then, smart me, I wanted him transferred to a "better" hospital, believing with all my heart they could help him. Well, they didn't. We had a meeting the day after they transferred him there, we were all told if he lived, he'd be a vegetable the rest of his life, etc. More to this story, believe me, we didn't find out certain things when we should have, but... still won't bring him back. Anyway, the kids chose finally to take him off of life support, and he died after 7 1/2 hours of not being on a ventilator. Well, the morning of his funeral, my youngest daughter came to me and said Mom- I have a song, I wonder if you could get the funeral director to play this in honor of Andy? Well, of course, by then, we couldn't have anyway. But, even if we could have, I, by then, wasn't into this type of music that of course my teenage daughter(s) were. But, we agreed to listen to it, she brought a cassette tape downstairs and put it into the stereo, while we were running around crying, trying to get dressed, etc., getting ready for the funeral. The song she played was Tender- by Blur. Ever since that morning, now, for all these years, every time I hear it, to me- it's my "Andy's song". So, yes, to me- this probobly is one of rock's "saddest songs". I loved my grandson, I only got to hold him in my arms one time, for maybe all of 15 minutes, but, still, to this day, when I hear that song,it is indeed my Andy's song. Yes, I know he's in Heaven, but for those 3 1/2 weeks, he was here, he was a huge part of my life. I'll always love him. And miss him. He even took a hold of my finger that morning I got to hold him for those 15 minutes, the Sunday morning that they took the life support off that night at 6 pm. He squeezed my finger like you wouldn't believe, I felt it then, he knew. Somehow, that sweet little boy knew. His grandma was there, holding him, loved him, and he knew. That little boy, he fought too, let me tell you. They took the life support off at 6 pm- he held on till 1:35 am. But anyway, to me, that's one of rock music's saddest songs, because it was the song that my youngest daughter wished to be played at my grandson's funeral. :angel: