• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...cause the oldest song you nominated was from 1995 :laughing:

And I only post what I love, so...

this week's number one is from 1992, so what's your point? :shades:

:grin:

Not true... I'm sure I've nominated the Stone Roses and they're 1989 :beatnik:

if I remember correctly, you also nominated a Beatles song - which recieved a much respected last place ;)

Edited by Guest
2nd reply

Am I that am out of whack with general tastes?

I was surprised by the poor showing of My City Was Gone -- just 13 points (and 10 of those from me),

when I bazooka thinks it is one of the coolest songs, with appeal to young and old alike.

We're all out of whack from the mainstream to some degree, man. Being regulars on Songfacts is a big indicator of that. Embrace the difference!

As to[*] My City Was Gone -- The Pretenders (1983)

most Americans are familiar with the music portion of this song as the theme to the Rush Limbaugh radio show, which may turn some off. I personally have a problem with relating to nearly every song in which the lyrics are lost through poor sound transmission or poor enunciation by a lead singer not gifted enough to sing a sentence as clearly as they might speak it - both drawbacks evident in this youtube clip. The only lines I got (and I tried to get them) were "I stood on the back porch, no one was home." Just not enough substance in that single line to move me to vote it into my top ten. I DID like the tightness of the group, indicating they are not just 4 or 5 individuals thrashing about. But the lack of message because of the snarled lyrics denied the song its potential from my perspective.

I personally have a problem with relating to nearly every song in which the lyrics are lost through poor sound transmission or poor enunciation by a lead singer not gifted enough to sing a sentence as clearly as they might speak it - both drawbacks evident in this youtube clip.

My bad.

I probably should have used one of the recorded versions rather than the Live.

I don't think Chrissie Hynde has often been called unintelligible, but I can see the problem with the clip I used.

To know that Rush Limbaugh uses this song means I would have to listen to that Big Fat Idiot. I'm sure it doesn't represent an endorsement of Limbaugh's humbug by The Pretenders, bazooka or any intelligent lifeform.

I don't know, up until the last few weeks I'm used to not getting any songs in the ten at all. :P

Good on you Tim Lizard. :thumbsup: Could've been 3 with Lithium (God help us).

And how about MuzikTyme ? Tom Petty #2 - with a bullet - this week.

And Mindcrime got two in the Ten (greedy devil).

We know it's not a 'competition', but it's nice to have your nominations recognized occasionally, isn't it ?

HI to all my friends online at the moment. :)

It's a lazy Sunday afternoon here, and we're celebrating our grandson, Christopher's, 4th Birthday. Did I just hear Val say 'dessert' ? See you later.

Happy Birthday Christoper! :)

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #119 for the week ending 16th June 2008

1. Everybody Hurts - R.E.M. (1992)

2. I Need to Know - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (1978)

3. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away - The Beatles (1965)

4. Easy To Be Hard - Three Dog Night (1969)

5. Centerfold - J.Geils Band (1981)

6. I Got A Name - Jim Croce (1973)

7. (Just Like) Starting Over - John Lennon (1980)

8. Sunday Morning Coming Down - Johnny Cash (1970)

9. Miss You - The Rolling Stones (1978)

10. Radio Ga Ga - Queen (1984)

Top Ten #120 is now open .... ;)