Ask a Non-US Citizen Songfactor

Lea

Hi everyone! my name is Tammy and i live in sunny South Africa! at the moment i am living in a suburb of Johannesburg but i will soon(as in tomorrow) be moving to Pretoria as i am going to university there! :) okay. when i look outside my window... sorry to disappoint but i live on a main road opposite a fire station and next door to a KFC. no wild animals in sight. :( we have a holiday house in Vumelane which is near Kruger National Park and we see wild animals there but otherwise not so much. as for education, im not the best person to ask because my school did the Cambridge system so i have just written my AS and A levels on a british syllabus. Im sure wikipedia has some frightening statistics on literacy and education here because it is frightening. feel free to ask any other questions you may have about my country!

hey TammyJane

Welcome to Songfacts :thumbsup:

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone! my name is Tammy and i live in sunny South Africa! at the moment i am living in a suburb of Johannesburg but i will soon(as in tomorrow) be moving to Pretoria as i am going to university there! :) okay. when i look outside my window... sorry to disappoint but i live on a main road opposite a fire station and next door to a KFC. no wild animals in sight. :( we have a holiday house in Vumelane which is near Kruger National Park and we see wild animals there but otherwise not so much. as for education, im not the best person to ask because my school did the Cambridge system so i have just written my AS and A levels on a british syllabus. Im sure wikipedia has some frightening statistics on literacy and education here because it is frightening. feel free to ask any other questions you may have about my country!

Welcome to Songfacts TammyJane :)

I'm also a born and bred South African, been in the UK for 5 years. I don't think anyone really thinks we ride giraffes to school and have a crocodile in the swimming pool, but the illiteracy and corruption are shocking.

What are you studying? Good luck with the move! :thumbsup:

Yes, Farin is right... you should have told us... instead of posting a weird funeral cake as your avatar :laughing: I even asked you if it was your b-d but I got no answer... :shades:

I did answer your question: you just weren't cryptic enough to figure out its meaning. :shades: :grin:

EDIT: Oh, and a 'howdy' to Tammy. ;) :)

Edited by Guest

that was..unexpected :)

welcome to songfacts, I think we almost have all nations here now ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking a "World and Its Peoples" class and our professor told us an interesting tidbit last night. I don't know where he got this information, but he said that 90% of all internet communication is conducted in English. However, he claims that although a great deal of non-English speaking people are fluent in writing the language, most cannot speak it.

So my question to our Songfacts family members is: Are you able to speak English as well as you write it?

ooh, cool class, the title alone sounds quite interesting :)

and to tell you the truth, I'm actually not quite sure... I could probably hold my end of a conversation without too much difficulties ( ;) )

but I simply have much more practise in writing :)

PS I wouldn't say 90%, but it's sure over 3/4

Many Greco/Latin root words are very similar, therefore understood when seen in writing, however many times incomprehnsible when heard in a different dialect than one is used to hearing. While attempting to learn Portuguese, for example, I can read certain words much easier than discerning the same words during conversation.

But English is very easy, Ron. Almost everybody in the developped countries grew up with an American cultural background, almost everybody watches movies in English and listens to music in English and knows people from England, America, Australia, Canada...

Portuguese is more difficult for me than English... I wish I could speak, read and talk Italian like it was English though they share Latin/Greek roots with Spanish.

But English is very easy, Ron. Almost everybody in the developped countries grew up with an American cultural background, almost everybody watches movies in English and listens to music in English and knows people from England, America, Australia, Canada...

that's mostly true... even if not everybody knows people from english speaking countries :)

Oh yeah, television, the movies and music are probably the biggest exporters of English around the world. Here the subtitles of English speaking movies are many times less than accurate, however, occasionally adding some confusion. All animated features, such as A Bug's Life are overdubbed in Portuguese.

I sideline by teaching English and am impressed how many people are interested in acquiring English skills. I think the internet popularity has a lot to do with that.

I actually write in english better than I can speak it, but my first language is french and I'm not very good at writing in french yet I speak it much easier than english.

The internet really changed my speaking and writing instincts! :crazy:

how many ways are there to write the sound "o"?

Bordeaux, eau, chaud, Pau...? ;)

If I wasn´t French I would have trouble to learn it... :P

The sound "o" isn´t the same as "au", "eau", "ô"... you have three sounds for "e" : "e", "é" and "è" sound different... "ai" also sounds like an "è"...

English is very simple, believe me... :cool: