Ask a Non-US Citizen Songfactor

Lea

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I first learned Italian when I was little, when my parents were mad, they would swear in Italian...I had no idea what they were saying, but I don't think it was very good.... :goof:

:laughing: :laughing:

That reminds me of my parents too, Laurie... they both spoke Italian (though they were not Italian, but they loved the culture) and as we, the children, understood French and English, they used to speak italian when they didn´t want us to understand... My grandparents did the same with German, they spoke Russian to us but German was their second language and we often listened and stare at each other (my brother and I ) wondering "What do they say?"

We went to the snow in Flagstaff in November with a couple, she is American, he is French and trying to learn English. It's hysterical! We took some photos, and he was looking through them, and he says to his wife, "We are very good-looking in this photo."

Andy says to him, "In America we say, 'we look good in this photo.'" :laughing:

Maybe you had to be there. :grin:

I think it's amazing that Europeans can speak so many languages. I took 6 years of French, and can only read bits and pieces. I don't even TRY to speak it these days. When I was dating my husband, he asked me to teach him how to say: Stop picking your a$$ (in my native language), because we were walking behind an old man doing just that. In all the years we've been married (over 18), that is all he has learned.

I think it's amazing that Europeans can speak so many languages.

SouthAmericans too. Actualy, when you´re born in a country where your mom is Italian, your dad is Hungarian, your neighboor is French and you speak in English at school, it´s not strange people can speak many languages.

My husband knows some sentences and words in Russian, he uses them to impress my Russian speaking mom and family...

• 3 weeks later...

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

We Frenchs love America... :cool: We can´t forget they liberated Paris and saved the world... :bow:

We have a good memory... we still can´t forgive the Brits for burning Jeanne D´Arc... :shades:

Spaniards consider themselves white and European, and would be deeply insulted if you suggested they were Latin American of any kind.

Spaniards know some Latin Americans -mosty from Argentina and Brazil- are whiter and blonder than them...

What about what Americans think about other countries? Too many don't even realize there ARE other countries until they decide to invade them! :laughing:

Canadians know and love all countries and invite you all over to have some beer and watch some hockey! :thumbsup:

We don't think too highly of the American politicians, though. Each seems to be a bigger crook than the last.

• 2 years later...

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

We Frenchs love America... :cool: We can´t forget they liberated Paris and saved the world... :bow:

We have a good memory... we still can´t forgive the Brits for burning Jeanne D´Arc... :shades:

Spaniards know some Latin Americans -mosty from Argentina and Brazil- are whiter and blonder than them...

Heheh. Just as wrong when some people refer to me as "Hispanic." That I was baptised Catholic (renounced it), speak Spanish (seldom speak it, except with family), and have a Spanish name (never bothered to change it since it's a hassle) is purely incidental. I had no choice in any of that. I tell those who care to listen that I'm a latin-American (or just "American") since I do not trace any of my heritage to Hispaniola or Spain. I'm about as "Hispanic" as I am Irish! :cool: