Ask a Non-US Citizen Songfactor

Lea

Heheh. Just as wrong when some people refer to me as "Hispanic." That I was baptised Catholic (renounced it), speak Spanish (seldom speak it, except with family), and have a Spanish name (never bothered to change it since it's a hassle) is purely incidental. I had no choice in any of that. I tell those who care to listen that I'm a latin-American (or just "American") since I do not trace any of my heritage to Hispaniola or Spain. I'm about as "Hispanic" as I am Irish! :cool:

I would consider you as "American".You grew up in America, you live with Americans, you speak with an american accent... after all, Americans are people from very different origins... that's being American!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly.

It's funny, but I think even our census form doesn't make the distinction and considers all latinos as "Hispanic." I was thinking I'd mark "Native American," but when one says "Native American" they think of the wig-wam, teepee kind while I was referring to the human sacrifice atop a pyramid kind :beatnik:

I always enjoy getting on chatroulette and getting a person from another country. Then they ask me "What country are you from?" I say "Guess." They say "USA?" I say "How'd you know?" and they say "You look like it."

Almost feel like it's them saying "Yea, you look like an ignorant materialistic prick" haha ;)

It's funny, but I think even our census form doesn't make the distinction and considers all latinos as "Hispanic."

Question #8 on the U.S. census form asks if you are Hispanic, Latino or Spanish.

If you are, you then check a box if you are Mexican, Mexican Am., or Chicano.

There is a seperate box to check if you are Puerto Rican and also one for Cuban.

If you are an origin that's not listed, you check the "another origin" box and then fill in the blank boxes with the name of your origin, for example: Argentinean, Columbian, Dominican, Nicaraguan, Salvadoran, Spaniard, and so on. .

You can look at all 10 questions on the U.S. form here:

U.S. Census 2010

I always enjoy getting on chat roulette and getting a person from another country. Then they ask me "What country are you from?" I say "Guess." They say "USA?" I say "How'd you know?" and they say "You look like it."

Almost feel like it's them saying "Yea, you look like an ignorant materialistic prick" haha ;)

I love referring to myself as "The Ugly American" with my European friends...

• 1 month later...