most universally liked bands

Batman

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sticking with Bob Marley, by the way. I've never met someone who really hates him, and of course there are tons of people who love him.

Queen is (worldwide) probably the most popular band in rock history, but there are definitely people who hate them.

Because with the Beatles, if you don't think they're the greatest rock band of all time, you pretty much think they're overrated.

1) 75% of they're stuff is not rock 'n' roll

2) They are overrated. I really think they were lucky to be around at that time....even more lucky than Ringo being in that band....

I'm sticking with my opinion that no band or artist in history has come even close to being "universally liked". Particularly because I don't know a single era of music where I haven't met someone who is completely ignorant of, and basically refuses to listen to any music from that era.

Did that previous sentence make sense? It's quite hard to make that sentence fluent. :crazy:

1) 75% of they're stuff is not rock 'n' roll

2) They are overrated. I really think they were lucky to be around at that time....even more lucky than Ringo being in that band....

1. That 75% influenced every rock band that followed them. Pretty much. :)

2. They actually created "that time", so I don't think they were lucky. And Ringo may not be Dave Weckl, but he was the best drummer they could have had, as far as a "fit" goes.

He's right, Das; if The Beatles hadn't come along until the late 70s or the early 90s, they would have totally missed the boat- they wouldn't have fitted in with the contemporary music scene at all.

:)

Isn't that like saying that Prometheus wouldn't fit in at the Zippo factory?

Mr Lied likes to labour under the impression that, should he ever be set ablaze in my company, I might deign to micturate upon him to extinguish the inferno.

We didn't start the fire

It was always burning

Since the world's been turning

We didn't start the fire

No we didn't light it

But we tried to fight it...

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

2. They actually created "that time", so I don't think they were lucky.

They were really the poster children of that "time". There were so many other issues going on and the just happened to be the soundtrack for it. And I'm not saying that didn't take talent, because it did, just not alot of musical talent. They had so much potential and wasted 70% of it on stupid, pop, boy-meets-girl love songs....