most universally liked bands

Batman

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were really the poster children of that "time". There were so many other issues going on and the just happened to be the soundtrack for it. And I'm not saying that didn't take talent, because it did, just not alot of musical talent. They had so much potential and wasted 70% of it on stupid, pop, boy-meets-girl love songs....

There's no way that they would have been this popular if they had started off with songs like Tomorrow Never Knows. And I think they had to establish themselves before they could start to experiment more...

And I really like those 'stupid pop love songs' ;)

I know what you mean, and I'm not a great fan of the Beatles myself, but I often think, when I hear younger people commenting on music from way back, that you've got to frame it in its socio-cultural context.

I've heard so many people making critical or dismissive remarks about say...The Sex Pistols or Led Zeppelin, without really making any effort to appreciate the importance of context. They only view them in juxtaposition with what is around nowadays or within their modern frame of reference. Society, culture, technology, sound production, the way music is marketed and consumed has moved on so much. The jaunty pop of the early Beatles material doesn't do much for me either, but given that rock'n'roll was still in relative infancy in the UK at that time, The Beatles were little short of a "revolution in action", symbolising youthful liberty, the dawn of the Swinging Sixties in a hitherto rather grey and conservative society.

Bands like The Kinks, The Who and The Stones came along and exploited the generation gap more overtly with bad-boy sounds and sloganeering, which immediately makes The Beatles efforts look more fey and innocent by comparison, but really, The Beatles had played an enormous part in creating the environment which allowed those other bands to thrive.

Edited by Guest
Add afterthought

I totally agree. Music would be so incredible different if the Beatles never existed.

And I do think pop songs are the hardest songs to write because you don't know if people will like them. So I respect them just for that.

It's just never appealed to me. I love the more weird, psychodelic music, just not the pop songs.

But do you like the exact same style of song by other artists....??

I mean "She loves you yeah, yeah". Please, that's like getting away with murder....

I'm trying to find some band with the exact same style, but can't... :P if you mean just 60s pop in general, then yes, I admit I really like that. The first band I thought of were the Monkees, who I also like. But I still think the Beatles are sort of different on that level as well.

Not quite as much as other types of music, though.

The Carpenters ; 2/3 of the world (Asia ) can't all be wrong .

I felt like I'd gone back in time when I first came here ... :P :laughing: :doh:

Personally , I'd offer B.B King and/ or Muddy Waters . If you don't like them , then the entire foundations of what you DO like are mud ... and Elvis , for making rock/pop safely 'white' . Everyone likes at least one Elvis song , even if you have other issues with him or his work/life ...

Yeah, Mr. So-Called Rap Hater! :beatnik:

Yes,that's me. Mr.Rap Hater. And I just realized I may have been rapping today on the way to work,because I was talking in a rapid-fire sort of way while using every four letter word I could think of when some bone head talking on his cell phone cut me off in traffic. So from now on just call me Mista Rap Hater. :shades: :smirk:

I totally agree. Music would be so incredible different if the Beatles never existed.

And I do think pop songs are the hardest songs to write because you don't know if people will like them. So I respect them just for that.

It's just never appealed to me. I love the more weird, psychodelic music, just not the pop songs.

I'm too lazy to quote everything to which I'm responding. :)

I agree with what you're saying, and found myself feeling the same way as you say you do in that last paragraph. I appreciated the Beatles early stuff - lord knows, I love a good pop tune - but never got into them. That all I changed when I got the White Album (of course, that's what everyone says...). Then I realized there was something more to them. I went backwards from there, tracing the progression in reverse - MMT, Sgt. Pepper, Revolver, Rubber Soul, etc.

I also think Blind-Fitter stated brilliant points about the time and generation gaps. I probably can't ever appreciate their total impact because I was born 3 years after they disbanded. I can't imagine a band today with such growth from album to album in a 5 year span. Amazing to me...

I am a huge Beatles fan and if you think about what else was offered as far as music or bands go back when all that craziness (as Ringo called it)was happening, who do you think could have become what The Beatles ultimately became?

Ringo was a perfect fit for that band and if you know anything about The Beatles at all you'd know he could never have been replaced and the other members didn't even try when he did walk out on them. They needed him for more then just his drumming abilities.

If you go on YouTube they have a lot of great interviews with The Beatles and if you watch the studio recordings you can see the study decline of the band. It's sad.

I won't ramble on to much about the The Beatles but like I said I am a huge fan. But check out the lyrics to Handle With Care by The Traveling Wilburys. I'm sure anyone who knows of them knows George Harrison was a primary member of this group. One of my fav songs by them I might add :)