most universally liked bands

Batman

Of course there's no such thing as a universally liked band, if by "universally liked" you mean that nobody dislikes them. But some bands come close. Here are some bands that I would say the most people love and the least amount of people have something bad to say about them.

1. Johnny Cash

2. Bob Marley

3. The Beatles

not in any order

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess an artist has to be universally known, before they can be universally liked. Which narrows the field considerably.

I'm not sure how they rate in the worldwide fame stakes, especially nowadays, but I've never met a soul that didn't like Madness.

In the tribal atmosphere of early 80s Britain, even the heavy-rockers, (who hated mods, skins, and "chart-pop") would confess to secretly liking Madness. They managed to appeal to punks, mods, rockers, skins, psychobillies, soul-boys (and girls!), pop fans, young and old alike. But then again, what's not to like about Madness?

I'm beginning to get confused.

By "most universally liked", are we meaning, "which bands have the most universal fan-base?" That would equate with, "Which are the biggest / most-famous bands in the world?"

Obviously, on that basis my suggestion of Madness would be a nonsense. I thought maybe we were talking about bands / artists that have a "cross-the-board" appeal, whilst not necessarily being the top-selling dudes. Artists it's hard to dislike, sort of thing.

I'm beginning to get confused.

By "most universally liked", are we meaning, "which bands have the most universal fan-base?" That would equate with, "Which are the biggest / most-famous bands in the world?"

Obviously, on that basis my suggestion of Madness would be a nonsense. I thought maybe we were talking about bands / artists that have a "cross-the-board" appeal, whilst not necessarily being the top-selling dudes. Artists it's hard to dislike, sort of thing.

I thought it was meant like this too!

not bands that have the most fans (or I'll start my next list with Take That), but bands that most people don't dislike - at least that was the way I understood batman's post :P