So much more than Random Thoughts

_Laurie_

I thought Altadena was a dairy.

On another note, I discovered something about my ambien habit today. That rather than someone who raids the refrigerator whilst strung out on the drug, I'm someone who makes posts on SF, and who sends random e-mails, chock full of typos and rather altogether nonsensical, and then forgets I did it until the evidence is presented to me by way of exceedingly embarrassing hard proof. :blush:

Last night I sent Andy a crazily random e-mail that looked very much like I'd been hitting the sauce rather heavily (which he thought was the case), and then forgot about it until he asked me. Evidently, I should extract myself from the computer as soon as I feel the effects of ambien taking over.

On another note, I discovered something about my ambien habit today. That rather than someone who raids the refrigerator whilst strung out on the drug, I'm someone who makes posts on SF, and who sends random e-mails, chock full of typos and rather altogether nonsensical, and then forgets I did it until the evidence is presented to me by way of exceedingly embarrassing hard proof. :blush:

Last night I sent Andy a crazily random e-mail that looked very much like I'd been hitting the sauce rather heavily (which he thought was the case), and then forgot about it until he asked me. Evidently, I should extract myself from the computer as soon as I feel the effects of ambien taking over.

Shawna, I agree on one point: Ambien is the best. Now, there´s another point: it´s the most dangerous drug I´ve ever tried -and believe me, I´ve tried quite a few...- That also happened with me when I was taking Ambien, fifteen years ago. People would call me and ask me if I was drunk or what "the night before"... Once I even lost part of my memory for a week :P :P I eventually gave it up. I miss it sometimes...

I warned you about Ambien (zolpidem) once I think. It's best to take it, and go to bed .... most especially if you are noticing odd doings! There are lots of cases of people taking it, then sleepdriving, and not remembering a thing about it the next day or other weird things. Many, many documented cases of odd behaviours while taking zolpidem. Just use caution kiddo! ;)

odd behaviours/ambien

That also happened with me when I was taking Ambien, fifteen years ago.

I thought ambien was a fairly new drug... like within the last 4-5 years. Jeez, if I'd known of its existence years ago, I'd have gotten so much more sleep!

In my case I feel that the side effects (random e-mails/posts) are much less bothersome than not sleeping night after night. The minute I wander out of my door and wake up in some strange place, however, is the minute I swear off the stuff.

I thought ambien was a fairly new drug... like within the last 4-5 years.

My doctor -who´s also a friend- prescribed it to me back in 1994 or so...

In my case I feel that the side effects (random e-mails/posts) are much less bothersome than not sleeping night after night.

That´s exactly why I took Ambien for some 10 years. I agree with you 100%. But then you can find yourself -10 years later, for instance- taking higher doses. And you have to stop sooner or later. I am lucky to be able to stop any habit almost whenever I want... yet Ambien is the strongest drug I ever tried, including some very dangerous and illegal other drugs as well.

And yes, it makes you act really strange... :stars:

My pharmacist told me of a guy he counseled once, who had been taking Ambien. The guy woke up, dressed in his camo gear, with rifle in hand, prepared to go "hunting". The problem was, he lived in a metropolitan area, and was home alone with his 11 year old daughter. :P

The thing with Ambien is, it's supposed to be non-habitforming, which is a good thing. The bad part is, you get addicted to actually being able to sleep (who wouldn't?), and many people don't want to put it down. I've been told by RpH's that the best way to use it, is only as needed, not every night, if you can help it.

Oh, and you are right edna. The manufacturer (Sanofi-Aventis) is a French pharmecutical company, and the drug was put on the market in Europe back in the mid to late 90's. It's only been available in the US since 2000 or so, however. It was available only in brand name form until 2007, when the generic zolpidem became available. Now, you can get the generic, or a newer version, Ambien CR, which is controlled release, and brand name only.

There is my spiel for the day. ;)

Edited by Guest
more pharmecutical info ....

The thing with Ambien is, it's supposed to be non-habitforming...

I won´t agree with that, Lucky. It is habitforming, as long as habitforming means you have to take it every night in order to feel good, not only to sleep. A friend of mine used to take it during the day too, she was so hooked on it that it wouldn´t make her sleep anymore unless she took 10 or more. The morning Ambien, and the after-lunch Ambien, and the afternoon Ambien became her mother´s little helpers. And she would lead a normal life and even drive her daughter to school... :P

That's what I mean. It's of a class of drugs that aren't supposed to be physically addictive, and the abuse potential is low. But (like marijuana, for example), the effects (being able to sleep), are habit forming. That is the problem. :P

The non habit forming thing is the line that you get from the drug manufacturer's. Not what happens in real life necessarily. :P

Edited by Guest

The non habit forming thing is the line that you get from the drug manufacturer's. Not what happens in real life necessarily. :P

Oh, I see... :P It´s true that Ambien was launched as a non-addictive drug (I remember my doctor told me about that though he also said he didn´t really believe it... ) And it´s also true that even marijuana is addictive in that sense you mention.

After all, every good thing is addictive, isn´t it?

:shades: ;)