Ask a Songfactor

Kevin

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still have a question... it´s about grammar, I know in English the nouns don´t have a genre except for, maybe, ship? and cat? Now I found "sparrow" would also be a "she"... Am I right? Why? Do I make a lot of questions? Did I make it clear or my English is just so crappy I should register in some spanish or french forum? :cool:

I mean, I believe "ship" and "cat" are feminine... I learned something like that in school almost 40 years ago... :P

Edited by Guest

In American English all nouns ARE genderless. There may be occasions when a gender pronoun might be inserted by tradition; such as a ship, "Should I bring her around to nor-noreast Cap'n? Arggg" But that is by no means a rule. A baseball is often referred to in the feminine, "Hit her outta the park!" That doesn't imply that if someone said, "Hit it out .." or even "Hit him out .." that they would be wrong using either of those alternative forms.

One never has to concern themselves with supplying the proper gender to a noun in American English (which is the opposite for me in stuffing Portuguese into my head - learning that my arm is masculine, but my leg is feminine!) In English, everything is "a ..." or "the ...." The pronoun "it" will cover any item not gender specific. It is a simple language, in basic form. The complexities come much further down the experiencial road, beyond rudimentary understandable communication.

Edna, in poetry or prose, almost anything may be seen and is necessarily acceptable. Termed "literary license," if language modification helps a writer get their point across, they may make up their own rules. As exemplified by JRR Tolkien, an entire language may be invented to fit the writer's needs; the rules of which are entirely up to the inventor.