What grinds your gears then?

Henry David

My mother-in-law lives with us and she has been grinding my gears lately. I guess she doesn't have enough to do, so she sticks her nose in where it doesn't belong. I try to cut her some slack, and I feel guilty sometimes, but all of my family barely tolerates her, so it's not just me.

That is why I am looking forward to the long weekend. The first couple days we will be home, but between having company over and getting stuff done around the house, she will not get the chance to annoy me much. Thursday night, we are leaving and she will be staying at home. Although we will still be with family (mine), it will give us a much-needed break from her.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my oily-variety bohunk and I were talking about stress levels on the drive to San Diego on Friday. He mentioned that he knows no one, not a single person, that isn't stressed out about something or another. It's a sad testament to today's society.

Stress seems to be more a part of life that when my parents were my age. But the world is different. I let it get to me at work, but I try to just get up and walk away, even if just down the hall, downstairs to get a drink of water, just clear my head. And as soon as I walk out the door to go home, in my car the music gets cranked and whatever was stressing me is gone. At home I just count to 10. And with a 3 year old you do that a lot, but at the same time I see her get so happy over the littlest things, that I wish I could be more that way. Whys as adults do we need big things to make us happy? We played water balloons yesterday and she was just thrilled, laughing and having fun. I was too and it felt great! Now there's and idea, throw water balloons at the person(s) stressing you out! :)

Thanks for the support, guys. I do try to take things in stride, but it's hard when it's 24/7. Also, when you have a three-year old who is pushing your buttons, you don't need someone asking you idiotic questions or thrusting something in your face that they printed off the internet for you to read right then and there.

Ok, enough. My husband and I have started taking walks at night after Samantha is asleep. If has really helped us cope and it gives us a chance to talk without other ears around.

Jen, have you tried giving her some (important)duties around the house to make her feel like a valuable contributor to the household? Sometimes that's what they need. Ask her if she wouldn't mind preparing dinner one night (if cooking is her thing) or something along those lines.

Often "they" meddle because they need to feel needed rather than feeling like a burden.

Thanks, Joe, I will try that. But I'm still more tempted to try Jane's water balloon solution }:|

Now, now, Sammy......she IS my kid's grandma and does come in handy when I have a babysititng emergency, so I'm not quite ready to do her in yet.

Edited by Guest

When I say "disposed of", I mean she can placed in a nice retirement home where she can mingle with other nice people in her age group. I just placed my very wealthy grandmother in the lovely "Jack Kevorkian Personal Care Home for the Recently Retired". Their motto is: "We take care of your loved ones". Nice place.

What'd ya think I meant?...we should have her whacked? Who do you think I am?...Paulie Walnuts?

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester:

Speaking of liquids, I have been wearing many perfumes for the last 30 years but there´s one I always had. Now I´m fed up with it but I have no idea of what my new parfume will be... :P :P It´s harder than to chose a new handbag... It´s like finding the book... or the man...