What grinds your gears then?

Henry David

Hang on - someone in this conversation didn't go see their favourite band because they didn't want to go ALONE? I see how 'favourite' they are :P

I go to shows on my own fairly often because - hey - I go for the music, not for the company.

A friend of mine makes a 1.5 hour drive into the city to catch a 2 hour set played by a handful of local bands on the weekend then makes the 1.5 hour drive back or crashes at a friend's in the city. She doesn't care she's alone, she loves the music.

Yes, we're both girls too, and not scared of the dark.

From my perspective, I'm voyeuristic/vicarious when it comes to doing social activities: I derive enjoyment from seeing people close to me enjoying themselves. I have gone to a lot of movies, music concerts, plays and operas, fancy/reservation-only restaurants, art exhibits and gallery openings, museums and libraries, etc. on my own; I've been there and done it to the point where I know I gain nothing more by doing it again. It's boring when there's no other perspective to see things through, to make things look "new" to me. Hell, if it were me, I'd stay at home and listen to the album while I clean and organise my things - it's more productive and gives me a sense of accomplishment. Also, planning to go to an outing on my own is totally different than planning an outing with someone, and then having that person cancel at the last minute without so much as an apology. That is plain ol' bad etiquette and disrespectful. I have a knack for remembering all kinds of junk and details, so I laugh at the fact that I cannot recall a time when I have ever cancelled on anyone (because I make that person a priority, esp. if I am aware it is important to them). Treat others as you would like to be treated... who'd have thought such a simple rule would be all but forgotten :beatnik:

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A lot of people are crazy and try to hurt themself so I wouldn't want them to treat me as they do themself.

Better would be:

LOVE those as I've LOVED you . . . How easy it is to love the ones that already love you!?

Verily I say, LOVE the ones that hate you, then shall ye find the beginning of contentment, knowledge and everlasting happiness.

Simple, effective and proper during Halloween!

:D

I have suffered many outrages in my life, but there are few that could match the severity of today's trip to the doctor's office. There I was, sitting in the waiting room waiting for a pre-employment drug screening when I happened to notice a Highlights magazine sitting on the table next to me. Feeling that this may be more entertaining than the Cosmo, Time, and Entertainment Weekly that were laying there, I picked it up and began to flip through it. It started off okay, there was a maze and a word find that I finished somewhat quickly. The word find tripped me up because the word "Hamburger" was spelled backward. Then I got to the Timbertoes comic strip that was pretty funny and made me laugh out loud (much to the dismay of everyone else in the room). But then things just went sour.

I turned the page and was thrilled to find the picture find, my favorite part. But then, I looked again and SOMEONE HAD CIRCLED ALL OF THE HIDDEN PICTURES! Who does that? I understand that people sometimes steal to survive. Some people kill in self defense. I get that sometimes you have to break some eggs. But what purpose other than ruining someone's day is served by circling all the hidden pictures in the Highlights magazine? Jeez, next time I'll just bring a book.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I have suffered many outrages in my life, but there are few that could match the severity of today's trip to the doctor's office. There I was, sitting in the waiting room waiting for a pre-employment drug screening when I happened to notice a Highlights magazine sitting on the table next to me. Feeling that this may be more entertaining than the Cosmo, Time, and Entertainment Weekly that were laying there, I picked it up and began to flip through it. It started off okay, there was a maze and a word find that I finished somewhat quickly. The word find tripped me up because the word "Hamburger" was spelled backward. Then I got to the Timbertoes comic strip that was pretty funny and made me laugh out loud (much to the dismay of everyone else in the room). But then things just went sour.

I turned the page and was thrilled to find the picture find, my favorite part. But then, I looked again and SOMEONE HAD CIRCLED ALL OF THE HIDDEN PICTURES! Who does that? I understand that people sometimes steal to survive. Some people kill in self defense. I get that sometimes you have to break some eggs. But what purpose other than ruining someone's day is served by circling all the hidden pictures in the Highlights magazine? Jeez, next time I'll just bring a book.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'd say the answers pretty obvious.

Find out who did it and beat the s**t out of that Highlights picture find circling bastard. Then hide something of theirs like a wallet and say "CAN YOU FIND THIS? HUH? YOU FOUND EVERYTHING ELSE CAN YOU FIND YOUR OWN WALLET??"

And then he/she will be like "It's hidden on the side of that fire hydrant over there." And then you'll realize how good they are at finding things. Maybe then the two of you could be friends.

RyanTurtle, I empathize with you completely. WTH? You don't circle all the hidden pictures! At that point they are no longer hidden, and where's the good of that for anyone else? I'd be p*ssed too. But only 1 emoticon worth, since I wasn't there. :mad: ;)

I hate to work... :P

Not that I hate it but it steals the time I need to post here, to be with my friends, to read and do other important things.

Right now I have friends in the living-room and I'm in the studio songfacting, facebooking, reading and answering emails... :stars:

If I had been here all day I would have had more time for fun.

I know, that's a stupid rant. It's life...

Art and poli-psych students used to grind my gears... until I realised God placed them here for my amusement. The world was in balance again :beatnik:

I was going to major in art because I'm a musician, writer, photographer, painter, etc. But then I realized that I wanted my degree to mean something . . .

I was going to major in art because I'm a musician, writer, photographer, painter, etc. But then I realized that I wanted my degree to mean something . . .

Actually, if you are smart and possess a passion for the stuff, then, by all means, do the world a favour by sharing your multiple talents - you will be rewarded handsomely. Unfortunately, you'll be sharing classroom halls with 200 unmotivated, apathetic, and lazy students (more than most other majors). If you wanna be practical, you could still major in art, take the minimum science classes, take the mcat and pcat, and land in med, dental, or pharmacy school. You could also major in poli-psych, crush the gre test, and get into a top law school. At the uni I attended, comm, art, poly-psych, econ and business, and English are majors renown for chicks who are looking to obtain their "MRS" degree. Lastly, you could always get a degree in accounting, become a cpa, and make the money to fund your interests. It makes me jealous I didn't take advantage of that scene (very few girls and money in chemistry). However, YOU still have time :beatnik:

There isn't very much time left once I add up the time spent on work, school, sleep, and other necessities, priorities, and commitments. If I could get by with 3 hours of sleep each day... It's always best to have set goals and a timeline to get there, or else there's a lot of wasted time and energy. Hell, I've already wasted 10 years without much to show for it. So, now I put a stopwatch for myself and constantly check on my progress. I suppose a drawback to this life change is that I tend lose patience with people rather quickly. Oh, well, one must give up certain things with hopes of gaining something better :beatnik:

There isn't very much time left once I add up the time spent on work, school, sleep, and other necessities, priorities, and commitments. If I could get by with 3 hours of sleep each day...

I used to sleep 4 or 5 hours and it was fine with me... :P

But since two years ago -and since I work 8 hours a day) plus 4 in the mornings on other things such as home, bills, translations, mail, family, facebook and a bit of my beloved SF- I need more sleep.

I hate it, I need time for friends, books, concerts, LIFE!!!

Monday through Wednesday:

05:15 a.m. - 06:00 a.m. : get ready for work.

06:00 a.m. - 06:45 a.m. : commute to work.

06:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. : work.

12:00 p.m. - 01:00 p.m. : lunch.

01:00 p.m. - 04:00 p.m. : work.

04:00 p.m. - 04:45 p.m. : commute to school.

04:45 p.m. - 07:00 p.m. : homework.

07:00 p.m. - 10:10 p.m. : school.

10:10 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. : commute home.

11:00 p.m. - 11:30 p.m. : get ready for bed/next day.

11:30 p.m. - 05:00 a.m. : sleep.

I actually need 10 hours of sleep to function properly, which is why I sleep 12-14 hours each day on weekends and take 3-hour naps on Thursdays :beatnik: