• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where do I get kool-aid from? :crazy:

A mantra? What sort of mantra?

"God get me through this day , please , and I'll never drink again ! "

- Repeat as often as you can today and in the future , as is necessary .

Dr. Kevin MBE , VC , KPG , NP , CBE , EERN , CRTY . MEEWYSX , etc.

Even though I am in a relatively chipper mood today, I found myself having to write a snotty email to the school.

Hello,

I am writing to raise some points, (which I suppose constitute "objections"), regarding the "cycle-to-school" initiative that has been in operation this week, with the incentive of "a goody bag" at the end of the week for those who have participated.

Given the level of supervision (and appropriate road-training) required for most children to cycle to school in safety, I feel that this initiative discriminates against:

• children with working parents
    those from families with multiple children
    those from families with younger children

In that it also relies on children having a) a bike (and appropriate protective-wear), and B) the ability to ride one, I feel there is also discrimination towards:

• poorer families
    children with disabilities

Having been totally supportive of initiatives to encourage walking to school- the much safer and equally physically beneficial alternative- I feel that these are undermined by an initiative that pressurises children (and parents) to adopt a more dangerous option by use of an "incentive scheme". Why offer a "goody bag"? Are children who can cycle to school (because family circumstances and personal abilities allow it) any more "deserving" than those who walk to school (supporting the walking-bus scheme, for example) or those for whom cycling to school simply isn't an option?

It is/should be a matter of parental choice, and is limited to those whose circumstances allow it. If some parents wish their children to cycle to school, it is their prerogative, and their responsibility to ensure that their childrens' safety is maintained.

However, it is surely important that this is done only when the family's circumstances and the individual child's abilities allow it, rather than as a response to "external pressure".

Walking to school is just fine (again, if ones family circumstances permit): cycling is not "better".

Let those who wish to do so, do it, having hopefully assessed the risks to the safety of their own children.

All parents should be enabled to make their own decision regarding if and when the time is right and this should not be prompted by peer pressure, the lure of goodies or somebody else's opinion of "what is right and good".

Apologies for appearing curmudgeonly, but I feel this point of view is better raised than left unacknowledged.

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Fitter

B****y interfering do-gooders.