What are you reading this summer ?

Kevin

I know this topic has been done in various forms before , but I felt it needed an update :

" The Man Who Ate Everything " --Jefferry Steingarten

Third time I've read this . A book for non-gourmets that, by the end , will have you hankering for a bit of the fancier stuff - though in the simplest of things ( not a cook book per se , though ) ... An easy read and well worth buying . Enjoy - but don't slobber ! ;)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished reading "Me Talk Pretty One Day" (Ich ein Tag sprechen hübsch) by David Sedaris

One of the (if not the) funniest books I've ever had in my hands.

In autobiographic episodes it tells of his family (his father is the best :laughing:) and his relocation to Paris where he learns French at age 40. The title is the literal translation of one of his first sentences.

He and his classmates also try to explain Easter: "It is a party for the little boy of god" and "Then he be die one day on two... morsels of... lumber"

Great read :thumbsup:

I FINALLY read Da Vinci Code and I'm currently polishing off Angels and Demons. I am also proud of my achievement where I read 11 books in 12 days in Hong Kong (okay, okay, three of those were Calvin and Hobbes anthologies :crazy:).... there was one about Blackjack in Vegas, a funny travelogue, a depressing story about drug addiction set in Lahore at the time of nuclear testing, a biography of a golden labrador, a comedic take on politics in India, a book called "the five people you meet in heaven"... then there were a couple of others that I have forgotten... hm...

I'm reaching the end of "Ghost Story" by Toby Litt, one of my favourite writers of recent years. This novel explores a women's descent into mental illness following a still-birth, and the impact of this on her relationship with her husband. It's an absolute hoot as you can well imagine. :(

Do you know "Naked"? What's it like?

Farin, I've read both those books by David Sedaris - gifts from a friend of mine a couple of years ago. I thought they were both hysterical! I can't remember which stories were in which books, but there were a few that had me laughing pretty hard!

I got the fifth in a series for Christmas this year, by Diana Gabaldon. This one is "A Breath of Snow And Ashes." So of course I had to go back anf re-read the fourth book so I could reacquaint myself with the characters' current predicaments, etc. They're big books, so it's taken me a while, but now that I'm more than halfway through, it's hard to put it down...

Farin, I've read both those books by David Sedaris - gifts from a friend of mine a couple of years ago. I thought they were both hysterical! I can't remember which stories were in which books, but there were a few that had me laughing pretty hard!

Thanks, Shawna! I'll put it on my to-get list :)

I got the fifth in a series for Christmas this year, by Diana Gabaldon.

A friend of mine was just telling me about these books. I have never heard of them before in my life and this is the second mention of them I've heard in a week. Perhaps it's a sign.

The only thing I've read this summer has been for my World Lit class. My favorite thusfar has been an excerpt of "The Ramayana of Valmiki". Weird stuff, man.

I've read the SF Message boards and a couple of newspapers...a magazine here or there...some travel brochures....the back of my cereal box was pretty entertaining. If I buy five boxes of specially marked Post Cereal I can get a DVD. I saw Johnny Dangerously on the list and it is one of my favorite dumb movies.