Fantasy Baseball Season 2 : The Revenge

Kevin

They seem to prefer summer, don't they ?

Yeah , RJ , I think if I looked carefully , I could continuously find numerous situations that seem ' unfair ' in the stats . It's basic spredsheet stuff and doesn't allow for variables like : If a SP pitcher plays under 5 innings:-1 , over 5 :+1 , over 7 :+2 , or the like .

Edited by Guest

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang ! I was fine about leaving it , but looking around at everyone's pitcher performances today , I'm still seeing too many of those measly 2-3 point efforts ( for 7+ innings in some cases ) - which are easily matched by mediocre fielder performances . Now, it's not so bad today as most have many higher ranked pitchers going , but remember RJ , tomorrow and the next day and the next , pitching points will likely dry up quite a bit , as most will have far fewer pitchers playing until the rotation comes round again . We'll have to wait ~ 5 days or so to see decent points coming from them . In this case, the value of pitchers in trades or pickups etc. or just their basic contrbution to one's team will diminish considerably , IMO .

How about 4 for saves and 8 for a win, 12 for a complete game and 15 for a complete game shut out ?

Kevin....

In my opinion the points should be left alone now that they have been set. Trying to change them following a pitching rotation of all teams has to be close to impossible. The first week of baseball's schedule is different from the next 25 or so. Many teams have open dates the first week in case of rainouts on opening days.

Secondly, we are all under the same point structure so it wouldn't make a difference. If your concern is about the timing of trades, I don't believe a pitcher's value would diminish. It is also up to the parties involved to be aware of the pitcher's next outing.

Lastly, and most importantly there has to be some sort of parity between the point structure on the offensive side and the pitching side. By placing huge point scores for pitchers such as 4 for saves and 8 for a win, 12 for a complete game and 15 for a complete game shut out as you have suggested, a team with a very strong lineup of hitters and a mediocre lineup of pitchers would be severely disadvantaged. Also, pitchers for hitters trades would be non existent.

Well , thanks all for the input so far , but I don't see it that way at all, Jimmy . A brief check of complete games or complete game shutouts yields an average of ~ 1 or 2 per pitcher per season , so these points are just a little birthday present , if you are fortunate enough to get one occasionally .

4 for a save , 8( two homers ) for a win seems reasonable to me still ( What ? A 40 HR hitter is more valuable to a team than a 20 game winner ? ) . As I mentioned before that is likely their point total for a whole week ( + K's ) . The average pitcher has a near parity of wins and losses over the year , so they are likely to get reasonable points only if there is an increase , IMO . Everyone has at least 1 ace , likely 2 , on their team due to our smaller draft and their are gems waiting to be discovered - not to mention an injury to a starter which could devastate pitching production even more - and it WILL happen to most teams , at least once .

I mentioned trying to change them during a rotation only as a loose way to make things 'seem ' out-and -out fair , but implementing them tomorrow wouldn't make much difference either . Point modifying is the easiest and least complicated way to address this - and the sooner the better , I think . The great thing about the Songfacts league is that we aren't 'too' cut throat ;) , and infact changed 2 or 3 things last year in early May even ...

As for a strong hitting team being disadvantaged ; I don't see it . Using my own example today , Matsui had a homer and 4 RBIs, 2 runs, 2 walks = ~ 12 points . He has ~ 5 opportunities to do that per week ( won't , but you get the idea ) . Strong hitters will , though, run up far greater totals regardless, even with the small increases I'm suggesting giving to the pitchers . I would estimate that when they are 'on ' they'll rack up 30 + per week (~6 per game ) .

Well , that seems to be the consensus so far , Joe . Tell you what ,all , I'm gonna make notes on the ratios of offensive v.s. defensive points then this week , and by Saturday , as I said before, I'll make a decision . At least I'll have more examples on which to make that decision . If they are as out of whack as I'm projecting now , I'm going to be inclined to make that change, though . I'll keep you updated . It really should be the last thing we need to change this season , but in my opinion , it is a necessary thing to keep a balance and give all more options in finding ways to do well , which as I mentioned before , is one of the main enjoyments of this game for me .

Regular Rotisserie baseball ( of which this is a variation ) has a strict balance of 5 categories for both fielding and pitching in which one must try to do well in both ( or as well as possible ) in order to win . Though the categories are moot here and we are just after points , I'd like to keep the 'spirit' of that balance here as much as possible .

Shaddup and say goodnight already , Kevin ... :doh: :P:D

Albert was a very rude visitor to Philly yesterday. He's the best player in all of baseball and he continues to show why every season.

Hopefully the Phills will throw a little better pitching at the Cards tomorrow.

Sorry that didn't work out for ya Joe. But thanks for affirming my thoughts about Albert (not the lewd ones). His sixth season in MLB, and he hasn't had what you'd even call an average season. You know he tried out for the Royals first? His family lives in KC. They said thanks, but no thanks. I guess thats why they could be one of the worst teams in baseball!

Go Cards! :thumbsup:

Wow ! Having Eric Gagne is like a case of poison ivy - Looks nice, but ends up making you miserable . I know how you feel , RJ , -I had him last year and he dropped out about the same time on me , too ... drag ! }:(:P

At least they're giving you a long-term prognosis and not making you waste a DL spot for a long time , this year ...

His Spring Training sessions were reportedly good , too ...

And I see that , by happenstance , Cee-Cee wound up with his successor - without having to lift a finger ... Lucky girl ! :thumbsup:

( }:( )

------------

P.S : Jimmy , if you haven't seen the FB boards yet , the DL situation seems sorted out . There are a couple of messages for you there , as well . Anyone else having trouble putting guys on the DL ?

Uh , Carl , excuse me , but ... could you get out of first place , please !? ( uh , step aside , sir ... step aside ) :P :laughing: People checking in might mistake the leaderboard for a cookbook ... all we need now is the River Rats behind you , and everyone south of the Mason-dixon will be zoomin' in ... Humm-Dogie ! ;)

Ok , as I expected ( not exactly , but ... ) , fielders were outscoring pitchers at a ratio of 14:1 , so I have bumped the pitching stats as I originally planned . There will be no more modifications necessary to the scoring , unless someone can point out a real monkey wrench , here :

Saves =4

Wins = 8

Complete game = 12

Complete game shut out = 15

I have waited until my own team have come around in full rotation , as a guideline , because , as Jimmy pointed out , it is impossible to make it bang on for all at the same time , so I hope no one feels left out - but most should or will be starting their next rotation tomorrow or the next day . These stat modifiers will start tomorrow ( Apr. 8 th games ) . I wish I'd foreseen this earlier , but as most will know, and others will find out , pitching is the trickiest set of stats to officiate and regulate . Sorry about that .