Fantasy Baseball Season 2 : The Revenge

Kevin

My reasoning for some of the point categories / values :

Batters :

This year , I've added walks and errors to try a couple new categories .

We've probably all heard " a walk is as good as a single " or the like , and I feel this is mostly true , except that it doesn't have the potential to generate RBI's except in a loaded bases situation - hence 0.5 points . It also gives some reward to hot batters who are intentionally walked for strategic purposes or more often , when they are on a hot-streak .

Errors : I've never played a BBall game that had negatives , so I thought it might be interesting to occasionally "punish" players who make a flub . Kind of like a fumble in football . It also may have some affect on choosing players from the free agents / initial draft as we may need to consider this along with their offensive stats . Don't think it will be a big factor ( -1 point ) , though -- more of a novelty .

------

Pitchers :

Saves : 3 points . This is likely the biggest change that last season's players will note , and I've put alot of thinking into it . Last season's 10 points , IMO , way overvalued this contribution . As the vast majority of closers will only pitch 1 or just part of an inning for this stat , I feel that 3 is sufficient . I'm of the mind to try to value all pitchers as equally as possible , though this is impossible . Still , a 40 save pitcher can generate at least 120 points , not including strikeouts . A 20 game winner will minimally score 100 , while having more innings to generate strikeouts . I had first considered 5 points , but I'm surprised that blown saves are not a possible category to punish a reliever ( I had considered -2 for that ), so this is what I've been able to come up with , so far . Go ahead and slam my logic ... :)

Holds : 1 point : This is a very new category for me , as well . I like to offer players a number of strategic routes to try to win once the season is underway and who is playing well / not playing well becomes rather evident . Sometimes , the number of good / consitantly used closers becomes rather limited and are already on the rosters of other players with little chance for you to get one . This category offers 1 point , then , for using good middle relief pitchers who can hold a lead ( their main function) , then , as an alternative to simply bemoaning your fate at not having closers nor being able to easily get one without offering away your lifeblood in a trade . I think it's neat , yet I hesitate to offer more points to it as they are not yet securing a win/save ( though they may still end up with one ) . I've always wanted to see middle relief become a little more of a consideration in this game , rather than , more often than not , completely ignored .

Walks : - 0.333 : Another no-no for pitchers and a small punishment ( but a little big for an exceptionally poor outing ) for pitchers since we don't/ can't have ERA / WHIP stats . I considered - 0.5 , but thought this may become too much of a factor , as a pitcher can often pitch a good game , give up say 3-4 walks , and shouldn't loose 1.5 -2 points for his outing , IMO . Yhis is very subjective , though , so chime in .

Minus points for giving up hits is another possibility , but my first thought is that hits are also often a defensive , and hence, a ' team ' mistake rather than being always clearly a pitcher's fault , whereas a walk more clearly is -- except for intentional walks , of course .

Comments ? I set it up rather quickly this morning and likely will be going back a few times to offer other suggestions / categories , etc. ... so be sure to check in occasionally to see what is presently on the table for discussion , add your 2-cents , modify you players for the Auto-draft ( which is still TBA ) , etc .

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed you can , Joe . simply change the player range setting at the top of that page from 'show top 25' to top 50 , 100 or all players .

Alternatively , 2 days after the initial dealing out of players , you can add ( and drop players you don't want ) from the vast pool of guys who didn't get put on a team to your heart's content ( as long as you drop one too, as your roster can never be more than ~25 guys , I think ) but the first idea gives you more certainty that you can get the guy you want ( especially if you think others may be after him ) .

Excellent , Sammy . I was wondering if you'd see those messages as your not around as much , now . :thumbsup: Hope Cee-Cee Rider ( not around so regularly and I believe has limited computer access presently ) sees them too eventually this coming , or next week as we can then move onto getting our players once everyone is registered ... Joe or anyone , infact , if you see her online sometime , can someone send her a PM to let her know ? As I'm out of the time-zone , it is more likely that you may see her . No big rush on this , though , and I'll send her a PM myself if she remains away for some time . Everyone else is around fairly often . Thanks .

Still 2 spots open ...

Any thoughts about the scoring system , Jimmy ?

Kevin...I must admit there are a few extra categories that I did not expect. I usually play the standard ten but adding a few more categories doesn't hurt. What it will do is make it a little tougher to get to the top as you work through the different categories to get the right mix.

With the limited number of players for each team it will be tough for anyone to max out on most if not all categories.

One question I did want to ask Kevin is how many benches have you made available for injured players? I would suggest all 5 available if possible.

Jimmy ,

I not sure if I understood your post . As this is a points league , the categories themselves are only important as areas from which the points will come from - not categories to try to rank as highly as you can in , as in regular Rotisserie FB , and therefore , one needn't try to get points in each category . For example , stolen bases : you may have none or few , but as long as your ponts are coming from elsewhere well enough , you needn't concearn yourself to move up in the standings .

I mention this to confirm whether or not we are talking about the same things as this may effect your draft decisions : you needn't strive for a balance in all the catatgories from your team to advance-- just get as many points as you can from wherever ...

Also , I believe I asked for 5 bench positions - should be the same as the default or regular roster allocation . :doh: Oh , you mean DL ( injured ) positions ... Hmmm . Presently, I have only requested 1 . I'll get back to you on this , though , after mulling it over ... in the meantime , why do you want to have so many ? My first thought is that I like 1 , as it forces a manager to decide whether to keep a subsequently injured player in play ( and no points ) , give him a valuable bench position ( and perhaps have to reshuffle other players ) , or gamble and release him , hoping to get him back later and have to compete with other managers who may take a chance on him before he's healthy or scoop him up before you when he is ... I think it's a good way to get some stars back into regular circulation and adds a gambling element ... Other thoughts / comments on this ?

Oh , before I forget , I also requested ( if I understood the menu correctly ) not to have a "Can't cut" list : as I am assuming most or all managers here seem to have a sense , generally , of who the good players are ,so this seems unnecessary - and a drag if you get someone you really don't want but can't get rid of except by trading him . Why not ?

More on this later , if necessary ...

Edited by Guest

OK, I'm signed up and ready to go, although I'll have to eliminate all Yankees before draft day.

Again this year, a Songfacts T-shirt will go to the winner, along with the coveted hat. If anyone else wants to offer a prize to the winner (such as homemade peanut brittle or a Shazam! pez dispenser), feel free to add it to the prize pack.

Red Sox 2006

Ok ,I 'm setting the draft for Monday AM ( my time ) -- Sunday evening for the US -- with the delay you have ~72 hours to adjust your draft picks or not . If anyone is unsure about how to go about this , Pm me and let me know .

As well , the league is now closed , and we won't be taking any new recruits this year, sorry . we are going with 10 unless someone shows interest over the weekend ...

Ok , while we're waiting sing/hum along ! ( loosely to the tune of ' Aquarius ' )

Yes , it's the dawning of the draft for u-usss

The draft for u-usss ; the draft for u-sss !

The draft for usss ...

Will Ol' Ronjon be surprising ...?

Will Miami Sammy cheat ?

It's the draft for ussss .... the draft for us !

Do you think Phil is a darkhorse ?

Is Jim -my so bloody go-od ?

It's the draft for us ... the draft for us

Joe will sink with the-a Phillies

Carl will be in 10th for su-re !

It's the draft for us; the draft for us (repeat )

Cee-Cee- thinks she's really got IT

Laurie hopes she understood ...

It's the draft for us ... THE DRAFT FOR Uuuus !

Elvish puts her heart with Albert's

Kevin hopes he's ' Walking Tall '

It's the draft for ussssss.... *Scr-aaaatch !*

:P :laughing: Good luck and hope your team is better than my song ! (God, I'm bored ! Let's get on with it already ! )