Fantasy Baseball Season 2 : The Revenge

Kevin

Ok , the draft has been set so we could be receiving our players anytime within the next 72 hours . Check the FB site over the next day or two to see if your team has been given players . I believe , though not at all certain , that you can still make a few modifications to your pre-draft choices until the moment of the draft -don't leave it too late, though . As well , there will likely be a message from someone here once they are dealt out along with an email from Yahoo! sports telling you the same .

I believe there is a two-day delay in having the chance to exchange players from the pool of players not on any team . As well , there may be a 2 day delay on trades --I'm not sure . Just in case there isn't , I'm gonna ask all players not to trade for the first 2 days or so after we get our teams , in case I have to field a few questions from players who are not experienced as they may be a bit confused with how to operate their rosters ,etc. and trade offers may just confuse them more . Then, you can go ahead and play away ! Thanks .

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you who have followed baseball over the years, take a moment to remember Kirby Puckett. The AP is reporting this evening (March 6) Mr. Puckett passed away at the age of 44 following the stroke he suffered the day before.

Elected to the Hall of Fame at the age of 40, I have to believe he is one of the youngest ever elected. I remember his sweet swing, the one that almost guaranteed a hit every time he was at the plate.

God's roster of ballplayers just got better this evening. May he rest in peace.

Ok , if you haven't checked your daily email yet , this is just a brief announcement that the players have been dealt out and we have players . Owing largely to having only 10 instead of 12 players to deal players out to , I think most should find that they have received a pretty darn good team , at first glance , and will be pleasantly surprised ...

Again , I'm gonna ask everyone to hold off making trade offers for a couple of days as I want to address any questions by new players and so they can keep up with what is going on ... Go ahead and make waiver pickups if you wish , though .

As well , I've been tinkering still with the scoring and category choices . We are allowed a max. of 10 for both fielders and pitchers and I've been trying to come up with a way for pitchers to have nearly as many categories as the fielders , and I've also noticed a big disparity in the worth of good pitchers/players - which bugs me . I can't find a perfect balance , of course , but currently the top ranked pitcher ex . Johan Santanna , is as valuable or less, point-wise a than a pretty good fielder . Last season , we gave a point for each inning pitched and that would've improved this situation this year, but as we've agreed to scrap that ( due to other problems ) , I'm pondering some other options . Unfortunately , most of the potential scoring categories offered by Yahoo are either silly to count ( ex. appearances ) or something that you wouldn't want to reward a pitcher with as it would normally be a penalty ( ex HR given up ) .

Another reason I'm interested in this is that I've limited the number of total innings pitched to 1450 ( 200 over the norm or aprox. 22 extra complete games ) . Last year we started with 1800 innings ; saw serious flaws in it and reduced it to 1600 after about 1/3 of the season . I like the idea of occasionally having to think whether or not to use a starter ( it gives one a little of the 'feel ' of managing rather than just throwing them into any game ) --plus there is a fair margin for error here , too . Another possibility is too increase these total innings even more ( 1500 , 1550 , 1600 ...) , but I'm not so keen on it .

So far , I'm looking at adding GIDP (+1 ) ; where a pitcher gets a point if he causes a batter to hit into a double play . This can't be worth too much , though , and from a quick look around , even the best pichers seem to only to do it ~25 times a season ... I then reduced the HRs / triples/doubles / singles / SBs by 1or 0.5 . This seems to have improved things , but as I said before , even with these changes , a star fielder is still nearly double the worth in points of a star pitcher ... and perhaps fair enough , as they have to play day in and out , risking injuries to boot .

Feedback or comments ? :)

I may be just tinkering around for the hell of it , though , and not really improving anything --just giving myself a headache ... :crazy: :grin:

Edited by Guest

I have posted the following on the Yahoo league website.

Subject: Go Figure.....I Got Bonds....Will Trade

Ok folks...as I mentioned on my Songfacts post I would trade Bonds for the right offer.

I do need a 1B. We can start from there and work in a couple of players. I didn't have him in my top 50 in ranking and wondered how I got him. If you look at the draft results he was pick #103. Like I said, GO FIGURE!

Sammy....if you want Bonds as you mentioned above in the thread, make an offer.

I'll PM combining both you and Joe and Phil in it as you are the new players and I'd like to type it out to explain to all . Don' t worry though , as nothing can happen without you until Friday , anyway , and it's not really vital , for you , or anyone immediately .

It was really ironic that Jimmy ended up with Bonds ... :laughing: :stars:

Kevin...don't kill yourself on this...we all have to work under the same rules...any changes will have minimal impact.

Thanks , RJ ! :thumbsup: I guess I've been thinking too much over the winter of how to make it 'better' and I'm being a bit of a Dr. Frankenstein now with it ! :P You're probably right , but I will tweak a bit more - I can't help myself . :)

I see that free agent pick ups are well underway and since there doesn't appear to be any confusion/ problems thus far ... the game is on , trades and all .

Good luck to everyone and thanks for holding off on trading a few days . Of course , still feel free to PM me if anything comes up you'd like to know / be advised about , or post it here or on the site's message board if you don't mind sharing it with all ...

Still working on the final scoring values , as I mentioned before , and will let all know about those when they are settled .

Phil ,

Seeing you are online now , I'm hoping this post will catch your attention . I'm wondering if you have been able to get access to your team yet ? I've sent a few Pms to you, and have been able to receive yours but haven't yet received any replies from you . Post here if you are still having difficulties as others may be able to help as well ( and more quickly with the time-zone differences ) , if you wish , or send me a PM again . :)

• 2 weeks later...

OK all , Phil is having a problem getting access to his team on the Fantasy Baseball site via what I consider the usual routes , so I'm asking for help or suggestions as to what he can do / may be doing wrong . I am putting our PM conversation on here so that others can follow what is going on and offer any suggestions ( hope you don't mind Phil -it may speed things up )

Phil wrote :

It is still not allowing me access. Kevin, can you send me the code & password again. I am logged, in at Yahoo games, then I click Fantasy Baseball, I Enter the code & Password, then it says game not in pre-draft mode and that is as far as I am getting. Help, Mike AKA Phil.

I wrote :

Ok . The league is # 156429 ; password : Carl .

Hope that works ! The league is called ' Songfactors II ' , but I don't think you should have to enter that anywhere . Let me know how you make out . If that doesn't work , I'd like to put your trouble on the thread so that others more computer -savy , can offer suggestions , too . OK ? Don't worry , though , we should be able to find a way -- just keep in touch so we can help you with this and anything else ( questions / what to do next, etc. ) that may come up .

I wrote :

Aha ! Alternatively , if what I sent you doesn't work , try entering YOUR Yahoo ! username and password that you received when you started your Yahoo account . Do not request a new one as that will cut you off from the team you started under the previous name .

ex. phil- @ aol.com (username )

roger2 ( password )

I have been registered for 5 years now , and have my computer ( at home ) set to skip this step and it just sends me to a menu of all the teams I have registered . I need only do the above when trying to access my teams from another computer .

Phil wrote :

Kevin, I found my team. The Problem is I am NOT assigned to any League. That is why I'm not getting through to SongfactorsII. What should I do? Phil

---------------------

That's where we're at presently ...

:help: ?

Addendum :

I suggested :

Go to the Fantasy Baseball page again . At the top of the page , next to the Yahoo! Sports logo , does it say "Welcome , (your username ) " ? If not-let us know asap ( and follow the below info ) ; if so , then below it is "sign in(out ) / my account " - click "my account" and see if that leads to anything helpful . Then try "sign in " if that is an option to you . Again , by no means , change your username or password ( but you may click " I forgot my password ( or the like ) if necessary ) ...

What I can't quite figure out yet is just HOW your team ( sing sing convicts ) is showing -and has been drafted a team if your password/ username ( or both ) are not recognized . Surely , the program wouldn't do this for a non-registered user . Be sure to check them again for accuracy.

I've put your problem in the FB thread in Random thoughts , too in case someone can offer a good suggestion to try as well . Keep an eye on it until I can get back to you if this doesn't work .

This is my first try at Fantasy Baseball and I'm having a heck of a time getting set up. Can someone send me a step by step procedure for getting into the SongfactorsII league. You can send me a private message. Much thanks. Phil

Edited by Guest
To change title.

Laurie , I believe Phil is having trouble just getting into the baseball site ; he's not able to even look at his team let alone play the game yet ( what I sent you step-by step instructions for ) . As to this problem , I'm uncertain as to how to help him presently or exactly why this is so since he was able to register , but now the site seems to not be reconizing him for some reason or other .

Phil , did you try the suggestions I sent you in the ' Fantasy Baseball Season 2 : The Revenge ' thread or my last PMs , yet ? We need to know, simply even , what you have/ have not tried in order to be able to give you suggestions . As well , telling us the responses you are getting will perhaps give us clues as well . The game begins in a week so please don't delay on this for too long , as we would like you ready to go by then .