Tell Me About The Band

Tenacious_Peaches

I was singing ?The Weight? because the AT&T commercial is on every five minutes, and I realized that I don?t know much about the Band at all. I know 2 songs by them (?The Weight? and ?The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down?) and I know that Robbie Robertson is the guitarist and main songwriter, but that?s it.

I?d love it if you knowledgeable folks would let me know your opinions on them. What is the best song of theirs? If I were to by an album of theirs, what should it be? A ?Best Of? or an original release? I can?t buy their entire catalogue (baby needs diapers), but I would be willing to make one purchase.

Help wanted, please. :help:

Peaches, if you like those two songs you're gonna like a whole lot more from The Band. I guess you know they first gained widespread notoriety when they were the backing band for Bob Dylan on tours. He mentored them and they became a huge success on their own in no time.

Some other great songs off the top of my head are Rag Mama Rag, Stage Fright, Up On Cripple Creek, Life Is A Carnival, Ophelia, The Shape I'm In and many, many more.

Albums worth checking out are: Any of the greatest hits collections, Music From Big Pink, The Last Waltz (see the movie, too), Stage Fright, and Cahoots to name just a few.

There is a great documentary out on The Band, and I believe it is available through larger libraries and some video stores in VHS or DVD.

One fact; Robbie recruited a classically trained pianist into the group who taught the other members how to read and write music because they were all playing by ear and by memory before they became big.

UncleJoe has got it right, except I'm not sure where you can find a "Best Of" album. I saw the Stage Fright CD insanely discounted (like a buck apiece) around last Christmas (in a grocery store, of all places. It must have been a dumb mistake. Don't think you'd catch that kind of luck again).

Definitely try to find The Last Waltz for rent on DVD or VHS.

From an Amazon.com review

Martin Scorsese's 1978 capsule history of The Band is mixed with footage of the group's allegedly last performance (certainly their last performance as a quintet) in this particularly stylish concert film. Scorsese shoots the players and their sundry guests with...flair and enthusiasm...He also proves a good interviewer with Band members, particularly Robbie Robertson...But the film's real hook is the stage show, which features a rotation of rock legends (Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell, Paul Butterfield, Bob Dylan, and so on) playing with the Band before a wildly appreciative audience. --Tom Keogh

Some other great songs
in no particular order

Daniel and the Sacred Harp

The Moon Struck One

Chest Fever

Jemima Surrender

W.S. Walcott Medicine Show

King Harvest (Has Surely Come)

When I Paint My Masterpiece

Across the Great Divide

Long Black Veil

Shoot Out In Chinatown

The Band was one of a kind. :bow:

Americana meets rock 'n roll.

Imo, their self-titled 2nd album is their greatest.

( Whispering Pines is one of my favorites that got less radio air play than the singles that were released off that album.) :bow:

Like everybody said, search out some dvds.

There's more and more concert and documentary footage being released every day.

Peaches,

maybe a compilation cd of greatest hits !

here's more

I subscribed to Uncut a while ago, today I had this months delivery, which has a huge feature on 'The Untold Story Of The Band', haven't read it yet, but looks very good.

It also came with a CD called 'Across The Great Divide: Music Inspired By The Band'.

If you love The Band and haven't yet got Uncut, then go and get the April 2005 issue now! :thumbsup:

The Band is from Ontario, Canada (my very own home province). The best documentary I've seen on them is "The Last Waltz". They perform "It Makes No Difference", and it is about the sweetest, saddest song I've heard. Check it out if the chance presents itself.

It makes no difference

where I turn

I can' get over you

and the flame still burns

It makes no difference

night or day

Your shadow never seems

to fade away

And the sun don't shine anymore...

And the rains fall down on my door...

Now there's no love

As true as the love

that dies untold

but the clouds never hung

so low before

It makes no difference

how far I go

Like a scar

the hurt will always show

It makes no difference

who I meet

They're just a face in the crowd

on a dead end street

These old love letters

I just can't keep

but just like the gambler says

read 'em and weep

And the dawn don't rescue me

no more...

Without your love

I am nothing at all

like an empty hole

It's a lonely fall

Since you've gone

it's a losing battle

stampeding cattle

that rattle the walls

Well I love you so much

and its all I can do

just to keep myself from

telling you

that I've never

felt so alone

before

Regards always,

Ken.

• 2 weeks later...

My ?connection? sent me The Band?s Greatest Hits last week, and I have listened to it non-stop since I got it. Here is my official review ? I LOVE IT! I can?t believe I have been missing out on this all these years. The lyrics, the music, the diversity?amazing. I love the toe-tappin? melodies of ?Up On Cripple Creek?, ?Rag Mama Rag?, and ?The Shape I?m In?. I love the achingly beautiful lyrics of ?It Makes No Difference?. I love the ?storyteller? aspect of ?King Harvest (Has Surely Come)?, ?Acadian Driftwood?, and ?The Saga of Pepote Rouge?. Now that I have gotten a taste of them, I will definitely be expanding my collection of their music.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank my ?connection?. It is someone you all know and love, but I don?t know if he would be embarrassed by my calling attention to him. He was so thoughtful to offer to send me the CD, and so incredible about his attention to detail in the packaging. Hip, hip, hooray for him!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: