Common Links

MindCrime

Is it that the title is repeated twice in the chorus? I don't know and couldn't find the lyrics to "Mama", but at least that's what the other two have in common

jenny, i saw the lyrics to "mama" in the old 55's music knowledge quiz thread...check there :) i was thinkin the same as you about the repeating the lines....oh well, i think we need more clues ::

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah

She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah

And with a love like that

You know you should be glad.

In my room, in my room, in my room, in my room, in my room, in

my room

Oh mama, don't worry so much, darling mama

Now mama don't cry, just say goodbye

Can't have us both in tears well mom, you know me

Yes i'll always be your baby through all the years.

I have no idea as I only know the Beatles song, but it might help to see the words all together in one post :thumbsup:

She Loves You/ The Beatles

Mama/ Roy Orbison

In My Room/ The Beach Boys

If you know it, PLEASE do go into "Old 55's Ongoing Music Knowledge Quiz" and answer it there too. It's been up there all day and nobody can get it !

That link was answered in O550MKQ a good while back.

You've got to feel sorry for Kevin - he almost got it. 2 Points to you my friend. But the BIG 5 points goes to Elvish!!! "My guess is that they all recorded in another language, namely German ".

CONGRATULATIONS ELVISH! That one took some answering. I have the 2 Beatles songs on Past Masters Volume One: "Sie Liebt Dich" and "Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand", and the Roy Orbison "Mama" in German on an 3 CD Anthology. I only read recently that the Beach Boys also recorded "Ganz Allein"/In My Room" in German.

Try this new one.

[*] The End Of The World by Skeeter Davis

[*] Blue Suede Shoes by Carl Perkins

[*] Don't Make Me Over by Dionne Warwick

Old 55 wrote:

The Buoys, Brad? That was in very POOR TASTE.

couldn't help it Oldster. I know they in no way compare with Cinderella or Poison, but I searched and couldn't find another major band that hailed from Pennsylvania, USA

the song titles are from a quote that the artist had said at one time....?

Nope. The common link has to do with the listeners more than the singers.

There is a minor common link in these songs that just occurred to me:

"Don't they know it's the end of the world"

"Don't you step on my blue suede shoes"

"Don't make me over, now that I'd do anything for you"

The word "Don't" is prominent in the lyrics of each of the songs.

That observation, however, is not the common hallmark I'm asking for.

Link on, comrades.

... are they sad/angry songs?

I don't think I'd call Blue Suede Shoes a real "angry" song.

edna, it's hard to give a clue without giving it away. You need to combine some data.

these songs could be for pop/country/r&b audiences?

Maybe that is as close as I can hope for.

The Songfactors are getting restless.

These songs were major "crossover" hits (scoring high on two or more categorized record charts).

[*] During the 1960's, Davis was one of RCA's most successful country artists. She harvested 26 U.S. country hits, 12 of which crossed over to the U.S. pop charts. Among these was the million-selling record The End Of The World which peaked at number two in both the U.S. country and pop charts in 1963. It was a hit for her in England, and became her signature song.

[*] At first Blue Suede Shoes sold slowly. Early in 1956 Perkins began making regular appearances on "Big D Jamboree" on radio station in Dallas where he played the song every Saturday night. Slowly it began to catch on - first in the country market, then with teenagers and finally with rhythm and blues fans.

It sold TWO million, as a matter of fact, an enormous feat in those early days. It was the first song to ever appear on the pop, country, and R&B charts, making it truly the first ?crossover? record.

[*] A dominant chart presence for most of the decade, Dionne was one of the most successful American singers. Her pairing with Burt Bacharach and Hal David was like a match made in radio heaven. Not only did Bacharach and David write her songs, they produced her records. Dionne was a star from the moment she recorded her first Bacharach-David song, Don't Make Me Over in '62, though that song was more soulful than what she did later with the team. It was an immediate hit on both the pop and R & B charts, making her one of the first black crossover artists.

You go, Laurie.

Make it maybe a little less complicated than this one.

St-st-stuttering.

I needed the big hint.

S-S-SINGA-L-L-LONG INTERL-L-LUDE::

Why don't you all f-f-fade away

And don't try to dig what we all s-s-say

I'm not trying to cause a big s-s-sensation

I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-g-generation

This is my generation

This is my generation, baby

People try to put us d-down

Just because we g-g-get around

Things they do look awful c-c-cold