OLD 55's ONGOING MUSIC KNOWLEDGE QUIZ

OLD 55

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The First Time Ever I saw Your Face, sung by Roberta Flack
:coolio: :coolio: :coolio:

WELL DONE JR. :) :) :). She'd released it on an album in 1968 and Clint Eastwood, who directed (for the first time) and starred in "Play Misty For Me", remembered it as a very beautiful song. After it was used in the 1971 movie it topped the US charts for 6 weeks in early 1972. 5 points to you and 2 to HD. New Question after I have lunch (dinnertime there ?). :D

Play Misty For Me was the name of the movie. Are you saying it was also the name of a song in the movie?

Hi Uncle. I'm not sure if the question is for me or jr. No, as you know, that was Jessica Walter phoning DJ Clint to request "Misty" which has been covered by everyone who knows a Great Song. My favorite version is by Sarah Vaughan, but I like Ray Stevens' country style working of it too. :)

Anyway, POINTS TO DATE:

addictedtoclassic 30

edna 26

jrownsdega 24

Elvish 24

SoulGirl 21

UncleJoe 18

Tenacious Peaches 16

miamisammy 10

DiggsUK 8

HDThoreau 8

bluesboy 7

TenYearsGone 7

MarcM 6

Windy1 6

Rico 5

Newbie Jr 5

Kevin28776 3

RogerWaters90125 2

Foxy1983 1

Bazooka 1

............................................................Not long to go now, and there's quite a few with good chances! I have some nice Rock (or other if preferred) stamps for the winner. Good Luck All.

NEW QUESTION:

A 70s/80s U.S. Trio who had a couple of Top Ten Hits. All three members had something in common, but one in name only ! Who's the Group and what did they have in common ??? (My Wife reckons this is TOO TOUGH. It IS a bit like a riddle I suppose, but I reckon someone will get it).

:guitar:

:coolio: :coolio: :coolio:

WELL DONE JR. :) :) :). She'd released it on an album in 1968 and Clint Eastwood, who directed (for the first time) and starred in "Play Misty For Me", remembered it as a very beautiful song. After it was used in the 1971 movie it topped the US charts for 6 weeks in early 1972.

That was a very good question Old 55,

now we all remember...

It's ZZ Top, right? Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill have beards. Frank Beard - well that's his name! :)
:coolio: :coolio: WELL DONE ELVISH - COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER ! I told my Wife you were all clever here. :) So that's 5 points to you and 1 to Addict, which makes the POINTS:

addictedtoclassic 31

Elvish 29

edna 26

jrownsdega 24

SoulGirl 21

UncleJoe 18

Tenacious Peaches 16

miamisammy 10

DiggsUK 8

HDThoreau 8

bluesboy 7

TenYearsGone 7

MarcM 6

Windy1 6

Rico 5

Newbie Jr 5

Kevin28776 3

RogerWaters90125 2

Foxy1983 1

Bazooka 1

Sorry, I had to go out for a while. Here's a NEW QUESTION :

This singer/songwriter went solo on another record label when the Group he was with disbanded.

He had a solo hit, which the Group's label reckoned was so much like one of the Group's earlier hits, that the "label" sued him for Copyright Infringement. (He wrote both songs).

Any idea who the singer/songwriter was and the names of the songs???? I'll check back in about 3 hours, and if there's been a few attempts, but hasn't been answered correctly, I'll leave a hint or two. :)

My first thought was John Fogerty's solo song "Old Man Down the Road" and "Run Through the Jungle"

:coolio: :coolio: THAT didn't last long ! Well done jr and Marc. :) I was hoping people would "think Beatles".

POINTS NOW: (CLOSER THAN CLOSE)! Who sang that? No points for it though.

addictedtoclassic 31

Elvish 29

jrownsdega 29

edna 26

SoulGirl 21

UncleJoe 18

Tenacious Peaches 16

miamisammy 10

DiggsUK 8

HDThoreau 8

bluesboy 7

TenYearsGone 7

MarcM 7

Windy1 6

Rico 5

Newbie Jr 5

Kevin28776 3

RogerWaters90125 2

Foxy1983 1

Bazooka 1

Congrats Elvish and Jr, who now are above me!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ... even if all the questions and the answers are posted while we Greenwich-timers are sleeping!! :laughing: :laughing:

Anyway, I would have never guessed the question about the song in the movie, nor the ZZTop one (though I knew the one about John Fogerty!! :doh:... sniff...) OK, pls Old55, will ya post an easy one for me? I know, for instance, who was the rocker who played with Fellini or everything about the New York Dolls... :angel:

One of our sons is getting up at 5 am, so I'd better get some sleep soon. :) I'm going to have a shower and shave now, so I'll check back before I go to bed to see if this one's been answered. Good Luck All !!!:D

LATER. HMM! Doesn't look too promising. As I'll be getting my 8 hours sleep, I'm going to leave TWO Questions now. *****PLEASE SHOW A OR B BESIDE YOUR ANSWERS*****

NEW QUESTION A: What do these songs written and performed by the Bee Gees have in common: "Massachusetts" and "I Started A Joke"??? ::

NEW QUESTION B: A Welsh born singer had a Big 70s Hit in the U.K. and Australia - probably also in Europe - (NOT so big in the U.S. but it did chart for 6 weeks in the Hot 100). The song was written by Elvis Costello. Can you give me the Singer AND the Song please?? ::

Goodnight to all my Friends. :sleepy: