The Monkees

Mike

Davy Jones, Mike Nesmith, Mikey Dolenz and Peter Tork.

I know, I know ... silly korny and all that!

But, who liked the show? Who Liked at least some of their songs. Come on now, I won't tell anyone.

Me I was never really big on them after I was 8-9 I started getting into the Beatles, Moody Blues etc. But they had their place in the soundrack of my childhood.

Oh yeah and Mike Nesmith's mom patented liquid paper (white-out) typing correction fluid.

And who else had a theme song about themselves?! :doh:

Ok, now you can all punish me severely for starting this thread. No monkey business though, ok? aa-haa...-ha...-ha :jester:

I loved the show. I think it came out when I was 10 or 12. Their music wasn't bad, mike, peter, and mick all had musical backgrounds. Here's my thought on it:

I really think they were first with music videos. Half the show was a music video illustrating whatever song they were singing. It didn't necessarily correlate to the song itself, just silly stuff. even though they weren't called videos that's what they essentially were. This was a very innovative show for it's time and I think that gets overlooked sometimes.

The Monkees Rocked for thier time, and were ahead of thier time. :coolio:

ps: Even though Mike's mom made a fortune with the white out, I believe he still produces music. Or did until recently anyway. They don't get the credit they deserve. they brought rock music into peoples homes and parents could see that it wasn't all "sex, drugs and rocknroll"

Just my take on it.

Starting in January 2005, Mickey Dolenz is getting the morning show on WCBS-FM, New York City's "oldies" station. I heard him interviewed earlier this year on the "Classic" Rock station 104.3 (remember classic and oldies are two different genres), in any event, he was entertainign and it should be a decent morning show.

From the Wikipedia article on the Monkees

Critics of the Monkees complained that they were a made-for-TV knockoff of The Beatles (although John Lennon was allegedly a fan of the show), and that the Monkees were a group chosen by a casting director.

The four stars were soon complaining because the producers would not allow them to play their own instruments on their records. Their frustrations were increased by the fact that they were all accomplished musicians in their own right. They eventually forced the series' musical coordinator Don Kirshner to let them perform their own vocals (against his strong objections) and make some instrumental contributions. Led by Nesmith, the band rebelled against the producers, and beginning with their third album, Headquarters, the four Monkees did play most of the parts on the rest of their record albums.

Kirshner was reported to have been incensed by the group's rebellion and swore never to repeat his mistake. This experience led directly to his later ventures The Archies and Josie and the Pussycats, which were animated series — the "stars" existed only on an animation cel, and obviously could not demand creative control over the records issued under their name.

The massive success of the series and its spin-off records had created intense pressure to mount a touring version of the group by early 1967. It was originally proposed to create another cast of real musicians to tour with Monkees material, but the stars insisted on getting in on the act and against the initial wishes of the producers, Dolenz, Jones, Nesmith and Tork went out on the road. The results were far better than anyone had a right to expect, and wherever they went they were greeted by scenes of fan hysteria not seen since The Beatles. This gave the four stars increased confidence in their battle for creative control over the music used in the series

When the group toured Britain in 1967 there was a major controversy over the supposed revelation that the group did not play on their own records, and the news made the front pages of several UK and international music papers, with the group derisively dubbed "The Pre-Fab Four". Nevertheless, they were warnly welcomed by many top British stars including The Beatles, who knew them to be skilled musicians and sympathised with their wish to have more control over their music.

Many now feel that the controversy unfairly targetted The Monkees and conveniently ignored the fact that almost all the leading British and American groups — up to and including The Beatles — habitually used sessions players on their recordings, and that this practice had always (until then) passed without comment.

Supporters of the group also point out that producers and Kirshner had the good taste to use some of the best songwriters of the period, including Neil Diamond, Gerry Goffin and Carole King, Harry Nilsson and Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, as well as using top-ranking Los Angeles session musicians on the records. The Monkees also deserve credit for helping bring America's attention to the Jimi Hendrix Experience, who they took on for as an opening act during their debut 1967 concert tour, even though Hendrix quit after only a few shows.

my mum didn't really have any meas on the monkees cos they were a fake boyband and she was into the beatles, man! she told me a funny story about something bob dylan said to mikey from the monkees, backstage at a tv show or something... but i can't remember it for the life of me - does anyone remember?

they showed the show again when i was about 10 (irish tv channels survive on repeats) and i loved it and lots of the songs too!

"Pleasant Valley Sunday" was a hybrid of "Penny Lane" and "My Generation."

I was about 15 at the time the show came out. I was struck by the fact that these 4 guys, 19 - 21 year olds (I thought) were living together; and none of their parents ever made an appearance or influenced their decisions in any way. Utopia!!

Regardless of the talent of the band it was a tremendously popular show and gave work to a lot of up and coming songwriters at the time:

Neil Diamond- I'm A Believer, Little Bit Me a Little Bit You

Boyce & Hart - She, Valleri

John Stewart - Daydream Believer

Gerry Goffin/Carole King - Pleasant Valley Sunday

Regardless of the talent of the band it was a tremendously popular show and gave work to a lot of up and coming songwriters at the time:

Neil Diamond- I'm A Believer, Little Bit Me a Little Bit You

Boyce & Hart - She, Valleri

John Stewart - Daydream Believer

Gerry Goffin/Carole King - Pleasant Valley Sunday

It´s true, they had a pretty sound and nice songs written by top songwriters... I used to watch their show in the 60s... never took them very seriously, but I like their popish hits.

I think the Monkees had a lot of really good tunes, but I always felt that this one is the best song the Monkees ever did:

MUSICAL INTERLUDE:

"I-I-I-I-I'm not your stepping stone

I-I-I-I-I'm not your stepping stone

You're trying to make your mark in society

Using all the tricks that you used on me

You're reading all those high fashion magazines

The clothes you're wearin', girl, are causing public scenes

I said

Not your stepping stone (ahh-ahh-ahh-ahhhh)

When I first met you, girl, you didn't have no shoes

Now you're walking 'round like you're front page news.

You've been awful careful 'bout the friends you choose

But you won't find my name in your book of Who's Who

I said

Not your stepping stone (ahh-ahh-ahh-ahhhh)"

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

This song was also recorded by Paul Revere and The Raiders,

and I'm pretty sure it was released on an album before The Monkees version.

You are correct, sir. The Raiders did it on their 1966 album, but never released it as a single. The Monkees released it as a single in 1967. However, neither band wrote the song; it was a Tommy Boyce/Bobby Hart composition.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :rockon:

I used to live off Pleasant Valley Way in West Orange, New Jersey. Carole King lived there too and apparently hated it and everything the suburbs had to offer. She wrote Pleasant Valley Sunday about her experience.

Very interesting. I always assumed it was a fictional place with a typical suburban sounding name.