The Songfactor's Choice: Best American Bands

Lucky

us-lgflag.gif

The Songfactors' Choice: Best American Bands

*** The Songfactors' Music of Choice is decided by your nominations and votes. For each edition we'll ask that you nominate 1 OR 2 selections that meet the guidelines for that edition.

*** Entirely coincidental, but entirely fitting with Independence Day quickly approaching. The rules this time around are this easy: Nominate two American bands that you feel are the best that the good old U.S.A. has to offer. Questions regarding specific bands/members of bands will be answered individually, there shouldn't be many. Nominating and voting will commence and run as long as the thread is active, we'll decide as we go as usual .... Also, as usual, it would be nice to get a few thoughts, facts, or song selections to support your nomination. :)

Give us your nominations now !! :thumbsup:

:headphones:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does a frontman with a band after his/her name count as a band?

example: Buddy Holly & the Crickets

funny thing Lucky, I didn't even think about the 4th being right around the corner when we discussed this theme. :shifty:

Edited by Guest

I know, I hadn't thought of it either. ;)

For our purposes I'd say any group with more than 2 individuals and instruments of some kind make up a band. It may be other things as well, but it's first and foremost a band.

Here's my thoughts on Fleetwood Mac. I'd say no, because the founding members are British, and the band was founded in Britian. I know Nicks & Buckingham are American, but they came later, and the majority of members were still British. That's my thoughts in most of these cases. Where the band originated from, and where the primary members were from. Kenne may have different thoughts altogether though.

Steely Dan

Edit:

I just realized SD has only Fagen and Becker as core members.

Please let me know in case they aren't eligible. Thanks.

Steely Dan is an American rock band

They have had over 8 other members in the past.

I will accept them as a valid nomination, same goes for the E-Street Band.

You mean The White Stripes are not a band? ;)

That's a tough call honestly, but they are generally described as a duo in most places. I went & checked the definition of the word band, and all them use terms like group, troop, collection, party. All words that describe more than two. ;)

They are considered a duo

That's a tough call honestly, but they are generally described as a duo in most places. I went & checked the definition of the word band, and all them use terms like group, troop, collection, party. All words that describe more than two. ;)

really? interesting... maybe there's a difference to the German definition as I always heard about (and thought about) them as a band

but okay :)

Edited by Guest
removed some quotes