Steel2Velvet's Top Ten

Levis

So I s'pose you all are wondering whose brainwave this was. This Personal Top Ten business that we all love so much. It was mentioned before and now I'd like to mention it again. It's this guy's. Give it up for idea-man Steel2Velvet's Choice 50:

So many songs ...

As a way of paring my list, I decided I would not include any song that is presently in any of our TTs nor any by the "Big 5" British supergroups (not that I don't love their music, because I do.)

I find myself most attracted to layered rythmns, distinct voices, great lyrics and neat bass lines.

Personally having few jagged edges, my playlist is not for a modern Friday night rave, but more for a mellow Sunday afternoon alone (but feel free to tap your toes if you feel like it.) I am somewhere in each of these songs that mean so much in my life.

Iwoya - Angelique Kidjo (with Dave Matthews) from one of my favorite albums, Black Ivory Soul.

Cool Change - Little River Band I love sailing - I mean LOVE it! This song speaks perfectly to the feeling I get whenever I can "... breathe the air."

Soul Shake - Delaney & Bonnie The Bramlett's at their best. You know a song is great when you can remember exactly where you were the first time you heard it. I remember this one so well.

I Threw It All Away - Bob Dylan

Boot Scootin' Boogie - Brooks and Dunn The song that almost single-handedly fueled the country line dance craze of the 90's. Ronnie Dunn has one of those perfectly controlled voices. Strong.

Longer - Dan Fogelberg A pair of Romantics, my wife Diana and I refer to songs that express our Autumn true love as "Rondi songs." This is one.

Rotten Peaches - Elton John A song about a Georgia prison chain-gang .... what's not to like?

The Best Is Yet To Come - Clifford T. Ward Thoughtful. Hauntingly beautiful.

Upside Down - Jack Johnson

Sail On - Commodores One of my favorite groups. One of their best songs.

Crying In The Rain - Everly Brothers My list includes nods to some of the foundational musicians in pop and rock. This duet introduced the complex vocal harmonics with which we are now so familiar on so many songs. I love these guys.

Some Days You Gotta Dance - The Dixie Chicks Wooo! Country never looked like this!

Everytime You Go Away - Paul Young Say what you may about Young's teeny-bopper cult status; but not just anybody can cover Darryl Hall this successfully. This is a great version.

It Might Be You - Stephen Bishop Another Rondi song. Outstanding lyrics!

I Go To Rio - Pablo Cruise One of my favorite percussion intros ever, this song is so Rio, "Take me back, I'll go today." Exceptional guitar work!

Sweet Life - Paul Davis A nod to my hippie past, I hoped for a life like Paul sings about, when I married in '74. Oh well, love is sometimes better the second time around. Now, it IS a sweet life.

I Could Not Ask For More - Sara Evans

Young Americans - David Bowie What a sax!

One More Time - The Katinas Five Samoan born brothers whose mother died after the last was born, their harmonies are angelic, their story inspirational and this song has lifted me many times. Stay with it, it is a "builder" that has a great crescendo.

That's The Way Of The World - Earth, Wind and Fire

The Game Of Love - Carlos Santana with Michelle Branch I wanted to include the Latino guitar virtuoso on my list and love the licks that spring up throughout this song.

You'll Never Walk Alone - Tom Jones I love a big voice and Jones has one of the biggest. This clip from his TV show was probably when he was vocally and visually at his peak. This song contains one of my favorite lines, "with hope in your heart ... you'll never walk alone." Tis true.

When Love Comes To Town - U2 with BB King

No Regrets - Tom Rush Just a man and an acoustic guitar, in front of an audience. One of the most underrated lyricist in the 70's, Tom's self-titled album is one of my favorite possessions.

What About Me - Quicksilver Messenger Service The core points of youthful rebellion are found in this landmark song that actually transcends time, though I heard it in the early 70's. "If you stand up for what you do believe, prepare to be shot down."

Watching The River Run - Loggins and Messina "Listening, learning and turning.." Sublime.

Kyrie - Mr. Mister

Slow Dancing - Johnny Rivers Such a romantic visual, from one of music's most versatile and prolific artists. Love the Midnight Special clip. What a treasure that show was!

Misty Roses - Bobby Darin What happens when an elite voice meets an elite songwriter (Tim Hardin) - your answer is here.

Katmandu - Bob Seger I recall upon first hearing this new voice on my car radio, that the song and the singer were going to be big.

Please Come To Boston - David Loggins "We'll throw 'I love you' echoes down the canyon and then lie awake at night, until they come back around." Great lines throughout.

Bring On The Rain - Jo Dee Messina with Tim McGraw Feeling a bit down? Sit back, close your eyes and try to identify with this. You just may feel better.

You Make My Dreams Come True - Hall and Oates Feeling better? Now, tap your foot.

Vamos Fugir - Skank One of my favorite Brazilian pop songs, this speaks of a common theme for all youth. Some of the words are "Let's get out of here and go to another place, where we will be free and have it better." Ironic thing is the group is from Rio, one of the most desirable places in the world to live. Oh well, that is the way of the young, searching heart.

Tighter Tighter - Alive N Kicking

80's Ladies - KT Oslin When I was a DJ, in the middle 80's, I played this song everyday; until the PD warned me not to rotate so frequently. The "story" video gets in the way in a few spots, but the song is so great I have included it on my list. "We burned our bras. We burned our dinners. And we burned our candles at both ends."

Footstompin' Music - Grand Funk Railroad Live at their famous Shea concert, this is one video worth watching to the last cymbal crash. If only to capture the group's remarkable energy. Go, Farner, go!

Dance Me To The End Of Love - Leonard Cohen Another hauntingly remarkable song by the poet lyricist.

Who Loves You - Four Seasons Too bad I can't hear the awesome bass work on my little computer speakers.

No Ordinary Love - Sade While much of this group's music is reflected by the sensual lead singer, this is a very tight band!

Unborn Child - Seals and Crofts I have always loved their sound; and admire them all the more for putting out this recording as an album title track.

The Littlest Birds - The Be Good Tanyas

Three More Days - Ray Lamontagne Blues is good and this guy knows it too!

Love Is Alive - Gary Wright "There's a mirror moving inside my mind, reflecting the love that you shine .."

All My Life - Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville The definitive Rondi song .. every word.

Lowdown - Chicago Another song for which I wish my computer speakers could convey the bass nuances. This, to me, is Cetera's best effort instrumentally. I also feel this song has the best use of a "wah-wah" pedal guitar break, for which I normally don't care - with the possible exception of Shaft.

Breathe - Faith Hill Yeah, she's country. Yeah, she's a beauty show. But, man, she can sing!

Third Rate Romance - Amazing Rythmn Aces The anti-Rondi song that I just cannot resist. Love it! Hint: if you have an itch to perhaps explore country music, but fear it may be too alien; the "Aces" are a good way to start a gradual transition.

So Many Stars - Sarah Vaughan A great place to finish this round of PTTs on the voice of this incomparable musician. "There are so many songs .. which one is mine? .. There's a song for every star and there are oh, so many stars."

If you are counting (and who's counting?) there are only 49 songs above. The 50th is not on YouTube and I do not have the wherewithall to place there, sooo I have put it on another site:

Take Saravá - Silvia Torres A great multi-layered song that weaves together all I love about Brazilian music. Hope you like it too.

YouTube Playlist

Show some love and get listening! :headphones:

Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to vote....

Edited by Guest

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Cool Change - Little River Band

2. Tighter Tighter - Alive N Kicking

3. Footstompin' Music - Grand Funk Railroad

4. Soul Shake - Delaney & Bonnie

5. What About Me - Quicksilver Messenger Service

6. Third Rate Romance - Amazing Rythmn Aces

7. You'll Never Walk Alone - Tom Jones

8. Love Is Alive - Gary Wright

9. Watching The River Run - Loggins and Messina

10 Take Saravá - Silvia Torres

Ron, I don´t know if I´ll be able to vote in your Top Ten... :P Believe me, I´m sorry... but Youtube doesn´t work on my computer and my husband´s PC seems to be having trouble with it...

I hate it when it happens... I´ll try to listen to the songs somewhere else...

1- Lowdown - Chicago :bow: :bow: :bow:

2- I Threw It All Away - Bob Dylan

3- Dance Me To The End Of Love - Leonard Cohen

4- What About Me - Quicksilver Messenger Service

5- Everytime You Go Away - Paul Young

6- Upside Down - Jack Johnson

7- Footstompin' Music - Grand Funk Railroad

8- Vamos Fugir - Skank

9- Katmandu - Bob Seger

10- Some Days You Gotta Dance - The Dixie Chicks

Oh lordy Ron, I think your list is going to be the toughest for me. Pleasant torture. ;)

Here 'tis. True torture to leave off so many good ones. A truly great list for me Ron.

1. Soul Shake - Delaney & Bonnie The Bramlett's at their best. "You know a song is great when you can remember exactly where you were the first time you heard it. I remember this one so well." Exactly. This song is just pure happiness.

2. What About Me - Quicksilver Messenger Service

3. Third Rate Romance - Amazing Rythmn Aces

4. I Could Not Ask For More - Sara Evans

5. Katmandu - Bob Seger

6. Slow Dancing - Johnny Rivers

7. Watching The River Run - Loggins and Messina

8. Lowdown - Chicago

9. Young Americans - David Bowie

10. The Game Of Love - Carlos Santana with Michelle Branch

These were the heartbreakers :P

Cool Change - Little River Band

Boot Scootin' Boogie - Brooks and Dunn

Crying In The Rain - Everly Brothers

Sweet Life - Paul Davis

When Love Comes To Town - U2 with BB King

Tighter Tighter - Alive N Kicking

Footstompin' Music - Grand Funk Railroad

Who Loves You - Four Seasons

Breathe - Faith Hill

Edited by Guest

That was incredibly difficult. Except for my #1 pick, a whole lot of the songs on your list that I didn't choose could have been put there. Hated leaving some of them off.

Excellent. excellent list S2V :bow: :bow: :bow:

1.Sail On - Commodores(This was also on my PTT it's one of my favorite song of all time. I really relate to it.)

2.Please Come To Boston - David Loggins

3.Everytime You Go Away - Paul Young

4.Crying In The Rain - Everly Brothers

5.Cool Change - Little River Band

6.Bring On The Rain - Jo Dee Messina with Tim McGraw

7.No Ordinary Love - Sade

8.Boot Scootin' Boogie - Brooks and Dunn (I love these guy. Most of their songs are just excellent.)

9.Slow Dancing - Johnny Rivers

10.Third Rate Romance - Amazing Rythmn Aces

I voted yesterday, finally, thanks to Lee :bow: and of course, to Ron... :bow: :bow: Great list!!! :thumbsup: so cool... I love me some relax... :cool:

"Lowdown" is my ever fave song of Chicago´s... along with "At The Sunrise"...

I also left many songs out... :P and there was some of them I couldn´t listen (Take Saravá, or the Delaney&Bonnie one...) I hope my youtube is fixed soon... at least I can enjoy them...

I voted yesterday, finally, thanks to Lee :bow: ... there was some of them I couldn´t listen ... Take Saravá ...

Thanks for taking the time to vote Edna, my dream Flamenco Fatale. Thanks again to Lee for your consideration, sir.

Edna, Take Saravá should play for you independent of YouTube. Click on the individual song link on the original list (refresh if it doesn't play within 5 seconds.)

1. Cool Change - Little River Band

2. Lowdown - Chicago

3. When Love Comes To Town - U2 with BB King

4. The Game Of Love - Carlos Santana with Michelle Branch

5. Young Americans - David Bowie

6. Upside Down - Jack Johnson

7. I Go To Rio - Pablo Cruise

8. Rotten Peaches - Elton John

9. Katmandu - Bob Seger

10. Footstompin' Music - Grand Funk Railroad

:bow:

Great list Ron. Tough because I hated to have to omit so many songs that I like. On the other hand I've included 2 songs that are totally new to me at #s 1 and 9.

1-The Littlest Birds - The Be Good Tanyas-Man, do I love this song. It sounds like it could have been written by paul Simon. I'll have to look that up.

2-So Many Stars - Sarah Vaughan-Smooth, cool and lovely. TY Tom Jobim.

3-Longer - Dan Fogelberg. Always a favorite of mine. RIP Dan.

4-I Go To Rio - Pablo Cruise How about the songwriter...Peter Allen. He wrote (and collaborated on) so many great songs.

5-Third Rate Romance - Amazing Rythmn Aces Pith, humor and fun to sing along with.

6-The Game Of Love - Carlos Santana with Michelle Branch-Nice teaming. I love Michelle's voice.

7-It Might Be You - Stephen Bishop-I've always loved this song, though I must confess that I prefer it by Roberta Flack.

8-Soul Shake - Delaney & Bonnie. And Man, didn't they have some great friends?

9-The Best Is Yet To Come - Clifford T. Ward-This is the first time I've ever heard this one. It won't be the last.

10-You Make My Dreams Come True - Hall and Oates-Yep, toes a tappin', hiney's a dancin' and I'm a singing along.

1. Katmandu - Bob Seger

2. Please Come To Boston - Dave Loggins

3. Cool Change - Little River Band

4. Footstompin' Music - Grand Funk Railroad

5. Sail On - Commodores

6. What About Me - Quicksilver Messenger Service

7. When Love Comes To Town - U2 w/B.B. King

8. You Make My Dreams Come True - Hall & Oates

9. Third Rate Romance - Amazing Rhythm Aces

10. Who Loves You - Four Seasons

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

1-The Littlest Birds - The Be Good Tanyas-Man, do I love this song. It sounds like it could have been written by paul Simon. I'll have to look that up.

And when you do, Joe, you'll find it was written by Syd Barrett. I too love the way the Tanyas weave these great lyrics through their knitted voices.

9-The Best Is Yet To Come - Clifford T. Ward-This is the first time I've ever heard this one. It won't be the last.

That bridge with Ward's plaintive voice of concern that she will leave him "..like you say you might" gets me each time I play this complexly simple song of melancholy and hope .