What Are You Smoking Or Taking?

TheLizard

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ecstasy cannot be compared, if that is indeed what you're referring to.

Also, I'm not in a very good position to discuss the benefits of ANY kind of hallucinogenic drug, being prescription or otherwise. Mainly because I don't advocate it.

But, I enjoy your well laid out words.

Keep it up but anything concerning the former please carry on in the guise of a private message.

Thanks, Foolonthehill.

Let me post this and I won´t talk about it anymore, I promise.

ah so you're saying that psychedelic drugs died with the psychedelic culture of the 60s

I'd have to agree with you for the most part there; acid is most often used now as a party drug.

Mainly because there is no such thing as true LSD anymore!

Wade, what Muzik means is exactly what he says: LSD doesn´t exist anymore, it died by the mid or late seventies. They don´t make it anymore. What you call acid is some other stuff -hallucinogenic stuff, with speed and other things I ignore- but not LSD.

Why? Cause it takes time and money to make LSD. It ´s cheaper and gives loads more of money making other stuff. Like ectasy, in the eighties, for instance. Or heroin in the seventies and eighties...

When the heroin market took over Europe, America and the rest of the so-called civilized world, no one would still distillate such an expensive and complicated drug when they could earn millions more. The labs were used for other purpose.

I ignore if there´s some loner making lsd in their basement, though... but it´s not in the market anymore, in any case.

tHIS DISCUSSION HAS FIRED A UP A MEMORY DEEP IN MY BRAIN.....ENJOY:

Walter Cronkite: Thank you, Mr. President, ha ha! Our next call is Peter Elkin of Westbrook, Oregon, whom I am told is 17 years of age.

Peter (on phone): Hello? Hello?

President Jimmy Carter: Yes. Hello, Peter?

Peter (on phone): Is this the President?

President Jimmy Carter: Yes, it is.

Walter Cronkite: Do you have a question for the President?

Peter (on phone): Uh.. I, uh.. I took some acid.. I'm afraid to leave my apartment, and I can't wear any clothes.. and the ceiling is dripping, and uh.. I, uh..

Walter Cronkite: Well, thank you very much for calling, sir..

President Jimmy Carter: Just a minute, Walter, this guy's in trouble. I think I better try to talk him down. Peter?

Peter (on phone): Yeah..?

President Jimmy Carter: Peter, what did the acid look like?

Peter (on phone): They were these little orange pills.

President Jimmy Carter: Were they barrel shaped?

Peter (on phone): Uh.. yes.

President Jimmy Carter: Okay, right, you did some orange sunshine, Peter.

Peter (on phone): Very good of you to know that, sir.

President Jimmy Carter: How long ago did you take it, Peter?

Peter (on phone): Uh.. I don't know. I can't read my watch.

President Jimmy Carter: Alright, Peter, just listen. Everything is going to be fine. You're very high right now. You will probably be that way for about five more hours. Try taking some vitamin B complex, vitamin C complex.. if you have a beer, go ahead and drink it..

Peter (on phone): Okay..

President Jimmy Carter: Just remember you're a living organism on this planet, and you're very safe. You've just taken a heavy drug. Relax, stay inside and listen to some music, Okay? Do you have any Allman Brothers?

Peter (on phone): Yes, I do, sir. Everything is okay, huh Jimmy?

President Jimmy Carter: It sure is, Peter. You know, I'm against drug use myself, but I'm not going to lay that on you right now. Just mellow out the best you can, okay?

Peter (on phone): Okay..!

President Jimmy Carter: Okay.

Walter Cronkite: Well, thank you, Mr. President. Our time is up for this week, but let me remind you that it is now time to buy your tickets for the first annual "I Slept At The White House" lottery, on sale at federal office buildings everywhere.

President Jimmy Carter: I figure there's no harm in trying, Walt. The tickets are only a dollar, and maybe someone out there will win an all-expense paid trip to spend the night here with us in Washington. Good night!

Walter Cronkite: Good night, thank you very much.

I don't think "true LSD" is a legitimate point to make, since it's always been a synthesized chemical, as opposed to something like psycosilibin which grows naturally.

And nobody takes acid at parties, as far as I know. But then, I'm in Eugene Oregon, a land full of 60's artifacts

And nobody takes acid at parties, as far as I know. But then, I'm in Eugene Oregon, a land full of 60's artifacts

I'm pretty sure that raves are usually acid-oriented, if not MDMA. At least before MDMA become popular, I think acid was the main drug used at raves.

Using acid (or MDMA for that matter) as a party drug isn't really my kind of thing anyways.

Edited by Guest

From wiki:

At the end of the 19th century, the Merck company of Germany was interested in developing substances that stopped abnormal bleeding. One of the most important compounds was hydrastinine. The plant from which it was isolated became rarer, and they started looking for alternatives. The scientific reports from the laboratory from 1911 and 1912 show that they wanted to use 3-methyl-hydrastinine as an alternative. They believed that this methylated analog of hydrastinine might be similarly effective. Drs. Walther Beck, Otto Wolfes and Anton Köllisch started on the project. In the newly developed synthetic pathway to 3-methyl-hydrastinine, MDMA was mentioned as one of several key precursors under the name of methylsafrylamin. In 1912 Dr. Anton Köllisch was requested to develop a patentable synthesis for 3-methyl-hydrastinine. The patent started on December 24, 1912. It is a procedural patent for compounds which are key precursors for therapeutics. MDMA was not the purpose of the patent. It was Dr. Max Oberlin (also at Merck) who in 1927 was the first person interested in the pharmacological properties of MDMA. Research on the substance was stopped for economic reasons, and the substance was buried in oblivion for some decades. In the 1950s the American and German armies were interested in psychotropic agents; MDMA was among the tested substances. Most probably for this reason, MDMA was re-synthesized at Merck. In his laboratory journal of 1952 Dr. Albert van Schoor describes how MDMA kills 6 flies in 30 minutes. In 1959 Dr. Fruhstorfer works on MDMA and similar psychotropics, his substance H671 was identified to be MDMA. The research on these substances led to the marketing of Reaktivin in 1960. Its chemical structure is not related to MDMA. The first scientific paper on MDMA appeared in 1960 and described a synthesis for MDMA. It is written in Polish by Biniecki and Krajewski and almost unknown. In 1978 Alexander Shulgin and David Nichols published the first scientific article on the drug’s psychotropic effect in humans.[7]

The U.S. Army did, however, carry out lethal dose studies of MDMA and several other compounds on animals in the mid-1950s. It was given the name EA-1475, with the EA standing for either (accounts vary) "Experimental Agent" or "Edgewood Arsenal."[8] The results of these studies were not declassified until 1969.

MDMA first appeared sporadically as a street drug in the early 1970s after its counterculture analogue, MDA, became criminalized in the United States in 1970.[9] MDMA use, however, remained very limited until the end of the decade. MDMA began to be used therapeutically in the late-1970s after noted chemist Alexander Shulgin tried it himself, in 1977,[10] and subsequently introduced it to psychotherapist Leo Zeff. As Zeff and others spread word about MDMA, it developed a reputation for enhancing communication during clinical sessions, reducing patients' psychological defenses, and increasing capacity for therapeutic introspection. However, no formal measures of these putative effects were made and blinded or placebo-controlled trials were not conducted. A small number of therapists, including George Greer, Joseph Downing, and Philip Wolfson, used it in their practices until it was made illegal.

Although some therapists continued to conduct therapy illegally, MDMA was not legally given to humans until Charles Grob initiated an ascending-dose safety study in healthy volunteers. Subsequent legally approved MDMA studies in humans have taken place in the U.S. in Detroit (Wayne State University), Chicago (University of Chicago), San Francisco (UCSF and California Pacific Medical Center), Baltimore (NIDA-NIH Intramural Program), and South Carolina, as well as in Switzerland (University Hospital of Psychiatry, Zürich), the Netherlands (Maastricht University), and Spain (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona).[11]

Due to the wording of the United Kingdom's existing Misuse of Drugs Act of 1971, MDMA was automatically classified as a Class A drug in 1977.

In the early 1980s in the United States, MDMA rose to prominence as "Adam" in trendy nightclubs in the Dallas area, then in gay dance clubs.[12] From there use spread to rave clubs in major cities around the country, and then to mainstream society. The drug was first proposed for scheduling by the DEA in July 1984,[13] and was classified as a Schedule I controlled substance in the United States from May 31, 1985.[14]

In the late 1980s and early 1990s, MDMA as "ecstasy" was widely used in the United Kingdom and other parts of Europe, becoming an integral element of rave culture and other psychedelic/dancefloor-influenced music scenes, such as Madchester and Acid House. Spreading along with rave culture, illicit MDMA use became increasingly widespread among young adults in universities and later in high schools. MDMA became one of the four most widely used illicit drugs in the United States, along with cocaine, heroin and cannabis.[citations needed] Today in the US, according to some estimates, only cannabis will attract more first-time users.

hmmm I had thought that acid had been a large part of raves. I mean, look at electronic music and the number of sub-genres with acid in their names.

Upon looking at this more closely, it appears that MDMA and the word "rave" came into use around the same time though, so you may be right.

I mean, I bet people do take acid at raves, I'm just saying for most people MDMA is associated with dancing and LSD is associated with tripping out in nature.

One thing I am pretty sure about, though, is that in electronic dance music, the term "acid" doesn't mean the music is supposed to be listened to on acid, it is actually describing a certain sound made on the 303 bassline synthesizer. Like if you listen to 'acid house,' or 'acid techno,' or 'acid (whatever),' most of it will have the heavily distorted 303 with a really distinctive envelope on.

I've never been to a legitimate all-night-everyone's-on-E rave before, but I've been to plenty of electronic dance music shows and I don't think drugs are necessary in the slighest to enjoy them. I went stoned to a few dance shows but that wasn't a good idea...I was just tired and thirsty and it made it difficult to dance. I find that alcohol is the best lubricant for groovin...if used in (relative) moderation of course! Just enough to loosen me up, not enough to make me puke on the dance floor, haha.