Worst Songs of All-Time ?

MindCrime

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe there is a bit of a misunderstanding here. PS, I don't think that BF was trying to scold you. I think he was interested in your opinion and was inquiring more in-depth into those opinions. I mean, I know that I tend to like to debate things. And not like angry debates, like discussions. On a discussion board. Don't take offense so easily. Personally, I don't think BF was attempting at talking down to you or trying to place himself on a higher pedestal than you. He was merely inquiring. I mean, it's what I would do. In a similar way too. But I wouldn't do it with the intention of being rude, I'd do it for the sole purpose of learning. I believe that inquiring into peoples opinions has a positive effect on both sides. It's the only way to make sure you're well-grounded in your own opinions and the only way to really learn things.

And SBS, don't hate us. I mean, I know saying personally, I very much enjoy your contributions to SF. I don't think we should be taking sides here. We're all on the same side. As I've stated before, why did we all join this forum? Because we love music and we love talking about it. It is inevitable that we will have differing opinions on music but when it all is said and done, we all love music. And that's what should bring us together, not tear us apart.

I've always disliked Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock n Roll" but at my dishwashing job this year they always had the classic rock station on the radio, and the DJ played that song every day I think, and now it is one of my least favorite songs ever, if not my least favorite.

I'd like to try and explain my post the other day. First off; I'm sorry that it has been perceived as some kind of a personal challenge, which wasn't what I intended. I had found your original post interesting in various ways; it stimulated various trains of thought at the same time. It exercised my brain. This isn't always a good thing. Had I gone away and reflected further, I mightn't have bothered responding at all, or would have discounted some of those trains of thought as worthless pursuits. "Trains of thought"? Sometimes they're more like unstoppable juggernauts. It was a slack morning at work, so I set about responding spontaneously, whilst also endeavouring to frame my flights of fancy as clearly and sensibly as possible, under the circumstances, i.e. with the possibility I might be curtailed at any moment.

but please don't post half a page of you doing nothing more than trying to say I'm either stupid or wrong.
I don't think I did that; certainly wasn't my intention. Much of what I said should be understood as a series of ruminations upon some issues - the nature of pop music and our relationship with it - which were stimulated by your post. By addressing these one after another, in one post, I fear it consequently appeared more personally challenging than it was meant to. Using your post as a springboard, I thought I was just having a chat about stuff.

Personally, I'd enjoy this thread a lot more if it were about us, SF members, referring specifically to songs which we, for our own reasons, find appalling. (Citing our reasons, if need be. Or, better still, "related anecdotes"; I like a good anecdote.) We know that, for the most part, our reasons for hating particular songs are purely personal and, occasionally, not even especially rational. That, to me, is a reasonably harmless and fun way for us all to discover more about music and about each other, our foibles and idiosyncracies, etc. I think we're all mature enough to know that if someone else cites a song/artist which happens to be amongst our favourites, we have no need to find that even slightly upsetting. Aren't we? Maybe I'm mistaken?

The trouble with a scattergun approach to describing our musical bete noirs is that it can emerge not so much as a list of songs we dislike, but as a list of prejudices. Admittedly, I was slightly vexed by your litany of dislikes, even though I might share many of them, because the addition of phrases like "all white rappers" and "99% of country songs", meant that, in fact, the huge majority of your "worst songs" are ones you haven't actually heard.

D'you know what? I can't stand those big hits by Vanilla Ice and Snow. If I have a choice in the matter, I will certainly avoid them ever punishing my ears again. I can think of songs I hate more, but maybe that's because the UK and US airwaves suffer from different strains of pollution. And, yes, they are preposterous characters: that, in my book, is their only mitigating feature. It's what at least makes them slightly funny. Snow is Canadian, apparently, yet feigns to sound like he's Jamaican. Stupid? yeah, undoubtedly! Funny? Depends on your SoH. Reason to be embarrassed about one's ethnic origin? Not really. Snow is by no means the first or last in the world of pop to be (somewhat ridiculously) in denial of his true origins - in fact, the world is awash with such people - nor to fake a Jamaican accent. Sting, former English teacher from the north-east of England, faked a Jamaican twang on the Police's early "white reggae" stuff. Only in the interests of authenticity, obviously. My personal disdain for Vanilla Ice and Snow and for the aspiration to blackness by white hipsters doesn't preclude me from hugely enjoying stuff like: "Lost In Music" - Stereo MCs

Anyway, I digress, wildly.

Whilst I understand your position on the "untouchables", (sanctified songs which must not be covered), having previously adopted a similar position myself at times, I have found myself becoming more open-minded over the years. Not only have I enjoyed covers of songs that others would regard as sacrosanct, I have had my own boundaries challenged. Once upon a time, I would have encountered a cover of Killing Joke's "Psyche" with a combination of cynicism and trepidation.(Killing Joke are to me, what Pink Floyd are to you). But,whaddya know? A compilation from a friend included "Psyche" - Nouvelle Vague, which turned out to be pretty chuffing good, after all.

See, I'm just chatting. Any (perceived) criticism needs to be understood for what it is; one opinionated person discussing something with another opinionated person on a Music Discussion forum. I'm not so self-important as to think my opinion is any more important than anyone else's. Frankly, I'm surprised anyone would care a jot for my thoughts. You can chuck my opinions in the bin for all I care.

There's certainly no need for any drama, whatever anyone else might think.

I disagree with people here without being rude to them...

Notwithstanding the concessionary stance of my previous post, I am surely not alone in wondering, slack-jawed, if you honestly believe this statement about the propriety of your own conduct? Your mom's maxim of how "it aint what you say, but how you say it" may have worked for her, but I'm not sure it's always served you quite so well.

Anyway, when all's said and done, we're none of us perfect, are we? :smile:

Personally, I'd enjoy this thread a lot more if it were about us, SF members, referring specifically to songs which we, for our own reasons, find appalling. (Citing our reasons, if need be. Or, better still, "related anecdotes"; I like a good anecdote.) We know that, for the most part, our reasons for hating particular songs are purely personal and, occasionally, not even especially rational. That, to me, is a reasonably harmless and fun way for us all to discover more about music and about each other, our foibles and idiosyncracies, etc. I think we're all mature enough to know that if someone else cites a song/artist which happens to be amongst our favourites, we have no need to find that even slightly upsetting. Aren't we? Maybe I'm mistaken?

I fully agree - also because I couldn't / can't really participate in discussions (well, up until now it's mostly 'listing' :P ) of "the worst" music, for the simple reason that I'm not listening to much music that I don't like :P

But of course there ARE certain songs that I can't stand for whatever reason...

But I guess for the thread to take such a turn the name would have to be changed (if Kenne, as starter of it, doesn't have anything against it)

and on that note, I know there are many fans of Eric Clapton and his different projects, but I really don't like 'Layla', the epitome of car commercial theme songs. :P

I'm bummed out now because peeps are going to revert to just listing songs and I'm always excited when there's a discussion. It's been ages since we had one of those without things being misconstrued and ending in drama llama spittle.

Converse are most uncool now, everyone's moved on to Vans or Keds or something because the Chucks became too mainstream (imagine pink and glittery with faded, flared jeans :o ). That's why I wear them now, their uncool uncoolness makes them cool, it's all very meta. Not with faded jeans though - dark wash please.

... the first real DISCUSSION thread where people can actually TALK and swap OPINIONS is the Lady Gaga thread I started a while ago.

It wasn't only a real discussion, but a really sad one at that due to its popthetic subject matter. That thred blew chunks all over converse shoes, which then proceeded to retch all over the second page of this thread. It brought new meaning to the phrase "talk green-pea soup."

I'm guilty of making general comments, but that's because they are true. If someone were to ask me to name some of the worst songs I have heard, I'd easily say, "Ranchera songs." I don't really expect to be prodded to provide specifics since it's common knowledge that such music blows green-pea chunks with its oompah-oompah tubas. I believe the violence in mejico could easily be solved with some decent music :beatnik:

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-EUoucN0Gg

All that Nortena/Ranchera/Banda steaming pile of dung sounds this s****y. Why would I need to expound on something this obvious? Hell, the worst of Rap and Country music COMBINED couldn't possibly plumb the depths of this horrible music :beatnik:

i hate

just a song about ping pong-operator please

thats not my name-the ting tings

telephone-lady gaga

girlfriend-avril lavinge

7 things-miley cyras

bye bye bye-the backstreet boys

spice up your life-the spice girls