River Phoenix 911 Call - Looking For The Full Version

babyteen

Hello there, fellow Songfacts members,

I know this may sound strange to you, but I'm looking for a very specific audio recording. Do you remember River Phoenix? Well anyway, I remember hearing the news about his death in 1993, I was 9 years old at the time. However, I've never heard the full version of the 911

call that was made by his Brother Joaquin. I've only heard parts of it. One part I heard was in a news story. And if I'm not mistaken, another part I heard was on an episode of VH1's "I Love The Nineties". Whether it was Part 1 or Part 2, I'm not sure, but I do know that it was the 1993 episode. Where can I find an audio recording of the 911 call in its entirety? I recently went to

http://www.franksreelreviews.com/shorttakes/phoenix.htm,

but it still doesn't seem like it would be the full version. I remember that there was more to that call than what I just heard. I believe where I heard another part of Joaquin's 911 call was on E's "101 Most Shocking Moments in Entertainment". I believe the part I heard was the one where Joaquin was literally in tears when he said, "You must get here, please, because he's dying, please!". I've tried searching on Google, and some other search engines, but haven't had any luck so far. Could it be that this is a rarity that is so hard to find?

I recently heard the full length version of William Shatner's 911 call, when he found his wife at the bottom of their swimming pool. I actually found it quite interesting. So, I'm surprised that any of you would think I was going out of my mind just because I want to hear the one from Joaquin Phoenix.

I think it is just a part of human nature to be curious about this sort of thing....it is the same theory that applies when people slow down to see a car crash...you know what happened...and the likely results...but traffic backs up to get a peek.

I can argue that this isn't a music related question and isn't appropriate for SF, but I can't argue with someone's desire to hear it.

I was being sarcastic. Please don't misunderstand me. :crazy:

I know... :cool: But you described it pretty well.

I have tapes from my old answering machine from mid 80s till mid 90s. Some 10 tapes and one hour p/tape, 10 hours of messages from friends, family, exs, co-workers, all kind of people from many countries and all kind of situations. I haven´t listened to them for years but I know someday I will. Some of my best friends who now are dead have left their messages there and it´s like watching old photographs...

The morbid side of me...

Some of my best friends who now are dead have left their messages there and it´s like watching old photographs...

The morbid side of me...

this is not morbid... this is just remembering friends/family. It's the curiosity about other people's tragedies that is morbid - people we don't know... famous peoplpe. For example, who wants to see photographs of Diana just after the wreck? Not something I could ever fathom wishing to see... and if it was right in front of me and I couldn't help but see it, I would regret the vision forever.

I have tapes from my old answering machine from mid 80s till mid 90s. Some 10 tapes and one hour p/tape, 10 hours of messages from friends, family, exs, co-workers, all kind of people from many countries and all kind of situations. I haven´t listened to them for years but I know someday I will. Some of my best friends who now are dead have left their messages there and it´s like watching old photographs...

The morbid side of me...

Edna that is not morbid at all, I wish I had stuff with my Dad's voice, he is in a few videos from the holidays, but not saying much. I've never forgotten his voice, but wish I had messages he had left me on my answering machine.

I won't go out of my way to look, but I won't turn my ahead away if it's in front of me. I'd be happier knowing about the traffic in advance so I can avoid it all together.

So, not 30 minutes after I typed this, I'm cruising down the Garden State Parkway and I see smoke billowing in the distance...the brake lights all come on and we took the slow ride past a car fire.

Why would anyone want to listen to that? That's pretty morbid.

Stuff like that happens every day. In fact, if I was there to witness it, you know what I would do? I would be standing by Joaquin's side, putting my arms around him, softly trying to reassure him that everything's all right. Also, probably not everybody knows this, but when a 911 call is made, it becomes public records!

I think it is just a part of human nature to be curious about this sort of thing....it is the same theory that applies when people slow down to see a car crash...you know what happened...and the likely results...but traffic backs up to get a peek.

Similar to the recent hype around the video of a man in the Vancouver Airport being killed by police with a taser. (Don't really really know whether the taser actually killed him.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For whatever its worth to all of you... I was a Police/Fire/Rescue dispatcher for about 5 yrs (1977 till about 82 or 83 (I forget)). I have heard it all. I have heard people being beatin, shot, and just drop the phones because of medical probs (IE heart attacks).. Its a very helpless feeling. And I'll be danmed if I would ever describe, or make any tapes of such things available to the public. When I did this job it was before 911 was invented, so we did the best with what we had to work with... I still have nightmares about that job sometimes, and that was a long time ago.

Thats a very morbid request IMHO.

Sorry to ramble, and I know my opinion does not not belong on this site.. But I just had to say something.

Jim

I agree. Public record or not, it disturbs me when media intrudes on families' private moments in the name of "news" and "public record". This young man's last moments on earth are no one's business, other than his familie's. Famous, or not so, at least that should be one time that belongs to you alone, should it not?