The Cool List

Levis

[big]NME Cool List Announced [/big]

It’s that time of year again, when the NME publish their annual Cool List. Like an indie Moses passing down the Ten Commandments to the faithless music loving hordes. So here we go again, “Is Pete that cool?†“Where’s Winehouse?†“Are they serious about Brandon’s moustache?†and so forth…

Well, this year there’s a new kid in town as Gallows singer Frank Carter has been named the Coolest Man in rock'n'roll in this year’s NME Cool List. Just behind at number two is Jamie Reynolds of Klaxons, with Lovefoxx from CSS at 3, whilst Ryan Jarman, lead singer of The Cribs completes the Top 4.

And after a year of excellent collaborations with the likes of Arctic Monkeys, The Rakes, Babyshambles and Gallows, Lethal Bizzle is a new entry straight into number 5

Last years number 1, Beth Ditto manages to remain in the top 10 for a second year (she’s listed at number 9) while Kate Nash is the only female to make a new entry into the top 10.

As for the big controversial names, Amy Winehouse climbing from 50 to number 8, and Pete Doherty isn’t even judged as the coolest person in Babyshambles. While Doherty lingers at number 34, bassist Drew McConnell makes a surprising entry at 13.

As for the flip side of the coin – the ‘Had It Lost It’ list this year is topped by Hard-Fi's Richard Archer, while The Sugababes, former Towers of London singer Donny Tourette and oddly The Libertines also make appearances.

Conor McNicholas, NME Editor said, “Thirty years after the height of punk there are a whole load of new bands making wild and passionate noise. But it takes more than just great music to make it to the top of the Cool List - these people effortlessly set trends with every breath they take."

To read about who said what about whom (and why) on this year's list, check out this week's edition of the NME or go to www.nme.com.

The Cool List in full (2006 positions in brackets)

Frank Carter – Gallows

Jamie Reynolds – Klaxons (13)

Lovefoxxx – CSS (10)

Ryan Jarman – The Cribs

Lethal Bizzle

Alex Turner – Arctic Monkeys (32)

Kate Nash

Amy Winehouse (50)

Beth Ditto – The Gossip (1)

Keith Richards – The Rolling Stones (26)

MIA

Thom Yorke – Radiohead (9)

Drew McConnell - Babyshambles

Prince

Tom Clarke – The Enemy

Noel Gallagher – Oasis

Hayley Williams - Paramore

Brandon’s Tache – Brandon Flowers, The Killers

Matt Bellamy – Muse (27)

James Smith - Hadouken

Caleb Followill – Kings of Leon

Matt Helders – Arctic Monkeys

Eddie Argos – Art Brut

Craig Finn – The Hold Steady

Morgan Yeah? – Does it Offend You, Yeah?

Simon Neil - Biffy Clyro – (28)

Simon Taylor - Klaxons

Karen O – Yeah Yeah Yeahs (5)

Kele Okereke – Bloc Party

Meg White – The White Stripes (24)

Tim Harrington – Les Savy Fav

Gerard Way – My Chemical Romance (8)

Jamie T

Pete Doherty – Babyshambles (28)

Lou Hayter – New Young Pony Club

Ian Brown

Joe Lean – Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong

Andy Burrows - Razorlight

Kyle Falconer – The View

Nicky Wire – Manic Street Preachers

Josh Homme - Queens of the Stone Age

Cole Alexander - Black Lips

Suki - Real Heat

Brandon Flowers – The Killers (29)

Yannis Philippakis - Foals

Patrick Wolf

Carlos D - Interpol

Santogold

Dev Hynes – Lightspeed Champion

Spider Webb – The Horrors

Had It - Lost It

Richard Archer

Sugababes

Donny Tourette

The Libertines

Kanye West

Iggy Pop

Mystery Jets

Paul Smith, Maximo Park

Paul Mullen

Source: Xfm

Well my mind does tend to stray in a certain direction. Peachy I can get you signed up, I'm the president...would you like to be vice-pres or do you have some other position in mind!! :blush:

If I can attract Sweet Jane and Tenacious Peaches then I have already entered the realm of cool. I'll get back to both of you with recommendations for positions.