Depression Thread

Super Ry 71

I thought I'd add this to the numerous list of topics here. It's for when you're stuck in a rut and feel sad. :(

I feel this way right now. I'd like to try and say what I think about music, but I read what everybody else has put down and feel like an idiot. I'm not good with big words and I'm quite young. I'll even admit, I'm crying right now. I just want to try and communicate with people, but I can't even do that 'cause of my ****in' autism.

God...just, GOD. *sniff* :(

Well, Ry... it's tough when you're down. All you have to do is remember that you'll get back up soon. All seems hopeless while in a rut, but then someone says something or you are affected by something that picks you right back up.

And remember this too: your Songfacts family wouldn't judge you no matter what you say. I'm no good with big words either and I feel pretty dumb compared to the others, but I still feel I'm always welcome! Hopefully you feel that way too :grin:

No one is grading you here, Ry. Take your time to say what you want to say. If someone does not get it, they will ask for clarification. No big deal. This should be a place for you to come for recreation and information. Not everyone, myself included, has an easy time trying to convey what they want to say in a way that is immediately clear. It does get easier as you get older, so hang in there.

Why are you depressed? :P Life is amazing...!!!!! You may be down from time to time or in a bad mood but depression is a big word.

Depression is good for the rich and bored people. Normal people have no time to be depressed, we would sink and die.

Why are you depressed? :P Life is amazing...!!!!!

To be fair, Edna. If the lad has autism, as he says he does, he is probably having an unimaginably sh*tty time. Autism is an "invisible disability", whose most profound effect is upon social interaction/communication skills, leaving the individual inept at handling social situations. This brings with it feelings of isolation and low self-esteem. Autistic children are targets for all manner of teasing, bullying and other forms of abuse throughout their school years, and struggle to achieve genuine friendships. Statistically, people on the autistic spectrum are significantly more likely to suffer mental illness in adult life than those not on the spectrum.

With autism, because people can't always see your disability, they assume it isn't there, or that it is "only mild". Even "mild" autistic conditions have to be lived with all the time and pervade every social situation one encounters.

You can say "why be depressed? Life is amazing"- and I appreciate your positivity and optimism- but frankly, for people who feel isolated, marginalised, misunderstood, treated as a freak/ weirdo/loser, oppressed on an almost continuous basis, life isn't amazing, and depression is quite an understandable response.

Depression is good for the rich and bored people. Normal people have no time to be depressed, we would sink and die.

I'm neither rich nor bored. I'm a fairly normal person. But I do have some experience of depression. You can't just cure it by putting on "Walking On Sunshine" and getting on with the household chores...

Edited by Guest
language

In fact, "Walking on sunshine" depresses me... :stars:

I didn´t know he suffered from autism or anything. I´m sorry, it seems I didn´t read your post as I should... I´m just saying that life is that, ups and downs. We have to try to live and be happy through this. Nobody is going to help us, unless yes, if there´s a neurological problem, maybe a doctor or a therapist can.

Being down isn t the same than being depressed. Being depressed is being ill.

I too have lots of problems of all kind and I try to deal with them as I can. Maybe cause I´m older, I had time to learn that life is also a state of mind, and depending from your point of view, it´s easier or not. Maybe cause I´ve been blessed with amazing friends and some hormones that work amazingly well, I ignore what depression is.

Anyways, I didn´t want to be wise nor offend anyone. I was just giving my advice, I know not everybody can think the same way. I just hope that people could see the good side of life even in the darkest moments...

I wasn't having a go at you Edna, ma chere. Just pointing out that if Super Ry is indeed autistic, (and I can't see why he would make such a claim otherwise), he may well be justifiably depressed.

As for the second bit: I suppose that was just my way of quietly revealing my empathy with fellow depressives. :crazy: :blush:

Thankfully, I haven't suffered from depression, but for a few weeks after I had my daughter, I had a lot of anxiety. It affected my being able to rest during the day and sleep at night when I most needed to.

Worse is when people tell you to "snap out of it". The more they say, that, the harder it is. I think the best "medicine" is so talk about it. I had sympathetic ears from my sister and neighbor to get me through, so if we can be your sympathetic ears, let us know.

Hey Super Ry...I'm glad you started this post....you wanted to let us know what was going on...and that's good...it probably makes you feel alot better letting it all out this way, and thanks for filling us in on that...I'm also not good with big fancy words, but I enjoy music, and I enjoy talking about it with others...among other things that go on in life...At my job I work with a few people with this disability, among other kinds also....hang in there...we are here for ya...we are good listeners...

Worse is when people tell you to "snap out of it". The more they say, that, the harder it is. I think the best "medicine" is so talk about it. I had sympathetic ears from my sister and neighbor to get me through, so if we can be your sympathetic ears, let us know.

Oh man, I hate it when people say that!!. It shows an incredible lack of understanding and compassion. It pisses me off when people say that, because it's not always something that can be "snapped" out of.

I agree that talking really does help. When I was depressed, I thought what was the point in talking to someone about it, because how could that possibly change anything??. It didn't change the situation, but what it did change was my perspective, and I'm alot better than I was.

So don't give up on yourself, seek advice and help. If people here on an internet forum care enough to write to you here, then imagine how much people would care that you know.

Having suffered from depression since about 1982 it can suck, but you can overcome it and deal with it. Therapy is wonderful!! I am not ashamed to say for 2 years out of my life I was in therapy and working through the issues that can trigger my depression. I would not take drugs, but for some that does help them cope. The worst thing you can do is keep things inside, that builds and after a time that can lead to a very deep depression. Talk, talk, talk...to family, friends, a therapist don't be afraid or ashamed. You have the right to your feelings and you need to express them and work through them to get to a solution. Is it easy? Hell no and you will do a lot of crying and there may be some anger, but it is worth the result in the end. And today when I start to feel down, I go to family and friends who may not have an answer but I get it all out.

Thank you, all of you. I admit that I do feel better now, probably since I got some good sleep.

You know, I'd sometimes confuse 'disability' with 'disease'. I had an extremely good friend of mine make a powerpoint that explains my...uh, "problems" to me, and now I understand better.

One of the interesting things it said was that most people with [that word] tend to look at a person's nose or mouth, rather than their eyes, like normal people do. Every since then I've been looking at eyes non-stop! :grin:

And edna, I forgive you. I couldn't recognize threats from joy on these forums, mon petit ange. :cool: :)

Mon petit ange? :shades: I´m no angel, mon petit chou... :insert martin´s devil: ...but I´m glad you´re feeling better :thumbsup:

One thing: please, don´t watch tv all the time. It´s the worst thing you can do. I´ve seen depressed people watching tv all the day and part of the night long... :P fight it. But don´t lay on the couch watching tv... :P

Ry, everyone's different, and of course we can't understand all that you live with, but there's a lot of compassion to be found here. I've been through some tough times since I've been coming here, and you couldn't be in better hands. You want to talk, there are plenty here happy to. You want your spirits raised, they'll do that too. Depression is no fun. How about you take things as you need to? You don't have to be smart and funny all the time. Just be with friends.

We'll always look you right in the eye, promise. Family is family, after all, and you belong now. Thanks for sharing with us. That was courageous.

Hey Ry, you're a valued member here, and more importantly OUR FRIEND.

We don't care if you have three legs Mate ! ;)

(You could change your username to Tripod).

Prolonged depression is usually a chemical imbalance in the brain over which you have NO control, and (unless you're a Scientologist) medication is usually necessary. I don't know much about Autism, but I realise it makes 'social' contact difficult.

I used to get badly depressed some years ago, and my Mother would say to me "What's wrong with you ! You have a great Wife and children, your health is good, etc. All you need is a good kick in the bum". If only it were that easy !

Hang in there Mate. ;)