List 39

Elvish

Okay, we're ready for new nominations. Remember to post a review (short and sweet is fine! :grin:) and give us a reason to vote for your album ;)

Here's a list of albums that have already been on the list, sorted alphabetically by artist: http://forum.songfacts.com/showtopic.php?tid/142455/

Edited by Guest

You´re welcome!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Here I go...

stalkingstoplt9.jpg

THE TALKING HEADS

"Stop Making Sense"

Tracks:

1. Psycho Killer

2. Swamp

3. Slippery People

4. Burning Down the House

5. Girlfriend Is Better

6. Once in a Lifetime

7. What A Day That Was

8. Life During Wartime

9. Take Me To The River

This live album was released in October 1984 and it´s the soundtrack of the motion picture "Stop Making Sense", an amazing performance (actually made of many shows from the end of 1983) directed by Jonathan Demme.

tompetty.jpg

Damn the Torpedoes -- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

1. Refugee

2. Here Comes My Girl

3. Even the Losers

4. Shadow of a Doubt (A Complex Kid)

5. Century City

6. Don't Do Me Like That

7. You Tell Me

8. What Are You Doin' in My Life?

9. Louisiana Rain"

Damn the Torpedoes is an album by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers released in 1979. The title is a reference to a famous quote by Admiral David Farragut.

Damn the Torpedoes ended up being the band's breakthrough hit, and includes many of their best reviewed songs and favorite concert standards today, including "Here Comes My Girl" (the third single release, charting at #59), "Even the Losers" and "Shadow of a Doubt (A Complex Kid)

(wikipedia)

[big]A NORTHERN SOUL - The Verve[/big]

northernsoultr4.jpg

"A New Decade" – 4:11

"This Is Music" – 3:35

"On Your Own" – 3:33

"So It Goes" – 6:11

"A Northern Soul" – 6:32

"Brainstorm Interlude" – 5:11

"Drive You Home" – 6:41

"History" – 5:26

"No Knock on My Door" – 5:11

"Life's an Ocean" – 5:43

"Stormy Clouds" – 5:34

"(Reprise)" – 6:11

Urbam Hymns is a positively brilliant album worthy of numerous :bow: s. But this one - A Northern Soul - is like the rough cut. Sure it isn't as flawless and if you listen to Urban Hymns first, it takes some getting used to. But it's their most human album. History was the first song by the Verve to make use of a string arrangement and that was a pretty successful tactic given the success of the song as well as of Bittersweet Symphony and The Drugs Don't Work on the next album. The band recorded this album completely strung out on ecstasy. Following the recording, there were some disagreements between Richard Ashcroft and Nick McCabe and they disbanded. They managed to settle their differences long enough to record Urban Hymns (phew! :bow: :bow: ) I love this album for the music and I love it for the lyrics. Not many people know of the Verve beyond Urban Hymns, but this one of theirs is definitely underrated.

I think this review from Amazon sums up the album quite well:

The Verve (a British band from the '90s who started out in a small town called Wigan) are one of the most underrated and incredible rock bands to come along since the '60s/'70s, hands down. Vocalist Richard Ashcroft, nicknamed "Mad Richard" comes from the great tradition of singers as shamans, going all the way back to Jim Morrison. Simon Jones and Peter Salisbury are an ultra-cool, yet detached rhythm duo...and then there's Nick McCabe. Definitely the shining guitarist in modern rock, he is a musical virtuoso, a prodigy of his instrument. They only made three major albums, but all three are masterful and display shards of the band's broken glass life in glowing proportions. Urban Hymns is their swan song and their most "poppy" recording, yet it retains a grace and majesty that is well apparent when it is listened to. Storm in Heaven is my personal favorite and is a band at their beginnings and their roots, having no fear to tread deeply into the unknown. Its sounds are atmospheric and swirling.

Then, in the middle, lies A Northern Soul. Ashcroft barrels through his pains, his fears, and his darkest secrets, while Jones, Salisbury, and McCabe (especially) take this scattered journey with him. A Northern Soul is the epitome of an individual's drug experience and a band's musical experience. It contains wistful, love-lorn ballads, such as On Your Own, History, and Drive You Home; it has grinding rockers like A New Decade and This Is Music; experimental, nearly avant-garde instrumentals-Brainstorm Interlude and Reprise; melancholy meditations on life itself-So It Goes and Life's An Ocean; a bluesy song-No Knock on My Door, a drifting coda-Stormy Clouds, and its centerpiece--the psychedelic vortex of the title track.

This is an album (like Storm in Heaven) that is best listened to as a single entity. Storm in Heaven is an album of ethereal beauty, A Northern Soul one of ethereal despair. Immerse yourself in its sounds on a rainy day and discover your own pains and secrets in the process.

apart from that, the official review is:

Though The Verve has finally taken its rightful place in the Brit Rock cannon, it languished for years behind such English luminaries as Oasis and Radiohead. During that time, The Verve release several albums that got less attention than they deserved. Mark A Northern Soul as one of them. The 1995 release was perhaps the first album on which the band reeled in its trademark guitar epics and fashioned bona fide pop songs. "On Your Own" is one of the lushest and loveliest tracks never to find a minute of commercial airplay in the U.S. or abroad. No self-respecting fan of modern rock should be without this one.

The Verve is brilliant! :bow: :bow: :bow:

^

"Damn the Torpedoes" :thumbsup:

direstraitsvp9.jpg

DIRE STRAITS

"Making Movies"

It was their third album and was released in 1980. Their best album and one of the best albums in rock history... though Rolling Stone only charted it#58.

Tracks:

1. Tunnel of Love

2. Romeo and Juliet

3. Skateaway

4. Expresso Love

5. Hand in Hand

6. Solid Rock

7. Les Boys

a_farewell_to_kings.jpg

A Farewell To Kings- Rush

Heres the review I wrote for the Album Reviews forum:

1. A Farewell to Kings

2. Xanadu

3. Closer To The Heart

4. Cinderella Man

5. Madrigal

6. Cygnus X-1

The title song opens with a thoroughly original nylon guitar section which works very well to get the album going slowly before breaking into a loud electric riff. With Neil Peart's usual clever lyrics, in this case a criticism on corrupt government, and a very round feel to the song- it ends up with first the opening electric then the nylon riff- this song is an amazing start to the album.

Xanadu, a song based on a drug induced poem, took a few listens before I began to enjoy it. The very long instrumental intro entertains until the vocals come in, describing the search for "the lost Xanadu".

Closer To The Heart is an unusually short Rush classic, and the lyrics echo themes similar to the ones brought up in the first track. A great opening riff, intelligent lyrics and and all-around good delivery make this song amazing.

Cinderella Man also took some time to grow on me, but its strong variety of melodic material and haunting chorus won me over and helped to make this album exceptional.

Madrigal is a good deal calmer than the other songs on this album. It's slower tempo and haunting melody make for yet another great song.

Cygnus X-1 is the album's most experimental song. It starts with a heavily distorted voice setting the scene: a black hole; a star that would not die, and leads into a fantastical voyage, to be continued on the album Hemispheres...

Overall rating for A Farewell to Kings- In my opinion one of Rush's best albums and quickly becoming one of my favourite albums overall.

9.5/10

Edited by Guest

brain_salad_surgery.jpg

Brain Salad Surgery- Emerson, Lake and Palmer

1. Jerusalem- The hymn-ish sort of thing by Blake and Parry. Although I wouldn't expect this sort of transition to Rock to work, it does quite well.

2. Toccata- More classical music. Some amazing keyboard material by Emerson.

3. Still... You Turn Me On- A nice acoustic song.

4. Benny The Bouncer- Lake singing in a interesting accent about a bouncer called Benny.

5. Karn Evil 9- 29 minutes of amazing music. One of my favourite "epics" and a song I never get bored of listening to. It tells ELP's version of the world's history by describing a sinister carnival. It is divided into First Impression Part 1, First Impression Part 2, Second Impression and Third Impression. Their world story ends with robots becoming the master race and keeping humans alive to degrade humanity.

theverybestofbadfinger.jpg

The Very Best Of Badfinger

DISC 1

01 . No Matter What

02 . Day After Day

03 . Baby Blue

04 . Name of the Game

05 . Maybe Tomorrow

06 . Come and Get It

07 . Rock of All Ages

08 . Carry on Till Tomorrow

09 . Midnight Caller

10 . We're for the Dark

11 . I'll Be the One

12 . Without You

13 . I'd Die Babe

14 . It's Over

15 . When I Say

16 . Dennis

17 . Lonely You

18 . Love Time

19 . Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch/Should I Smoke

I would like everyone to see why I like this group so much...so here's a chance to give it a listen....some great tunes here..My favorites are the first 3 on the album, and the rest is just great listening......

Edited by Guest

superunknownjg5.jpg

Superunknown ~ Soundgarden

* Let Me Drown

* My Wave

* Fell On Black Days

* Mailman

* Superunknown

* Head Down

* Black Hole Sun

* Spoonman

* Limo Wreck

* The Day I Tried To Live

* Kickstand

* Fresh Tendrils

* 4th of July

Soundgarden's finest hour, Superunknown is a sprawling, 70-minute magnum opus that pushes beyond any previous boundaries. Soundgarden had always loved replicating Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath riffs, but Superunknown's debt is more to mid-period Zep's layered arrangements and sweeping epics.

[...]

Soundgarden had always been a little mind-bending, but the full-on experiments with psychedelia give them a much wider sonic palette, paving the way for less metallic sounds and instruments, more detailed arrangements, and a bridge into pop (which made the eerie ballad "Black Hole Sun" an inescapable hit).

[...]

It's obvious that Superunknown was consciously styled as a masterwork, and it fulfills every ambition.

and I even included some youtube links just for your listening enjoyment :shades:

• 2 weeks later...

"Feline"

The Stranglers

b0000025ug01lzzzzzzzzf8.jpg

Their seventh album. Released in 1983. A nice turn for a punk band, though the previous one ("La Folie") was also in the same line. Cool, sweet and vote for it... :thumbsup:

1. Midnight Summer Dream

2. It's A Small World

3. Ships That Pass In The Night

4. European Female

5. Let's Tango In Paris

6. Paradise

7. All Roads Lead To Rome

8. Blue Sister

9. Never Say Goodbye

Front.jpg

Venus and Mars - Wings

Track Listings

1. Venus and Mars - A beautiful title track with acoustic guitar and simple lyrics which leads into...

2. Rock Show - An assortment of rockin' 'n' rollin', featuring a reference to Jimmy Page.

3. Love in Song

4. You Gave Me the Answer

5. Magneto and Titanium Man - A catchy tribute to the comic book heroes and villains of old.

6. Letting Go - A nice piece of electric rock with some hot horns thrown in.

7. Venus and Mars (Reprise)

8. Spirits of Ancient Egypt

9. Medicine Jar - A classic example of hard rock which doubles as a nice pop tune.

10. Call Me Back Again

11. Listen to What the Man Said - Considered by many to be "the" song of the album, McCartney and Co. take all of the sounds of Cajun and pop rock and cram it into four minutes of fun.

12. Treat Her Gently/Lonely Old People

13. Crossroads Theme - Wings' rendition of the British soap opera's theme that ended up replacing the original.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Lifehouse - No Name Face

343ps6.jpg

I put this album back in the car after 2 years of not hearing it at all.

It's one of those albums you can always come back to and never be disappointed by. The messages in each song are so clear and so heartfelt, you can read into them as deeply as you want to or just sing along and enjoy them for what they are.

Listen >> here <<

Beautiful and uplifting, sad and touching, an album for anyone who has felt alone and needed love, lost and needed guidance.

Tracklisting:

1. Hanging by a moment

2. Sick cycle carousel

3. Unknown

4. Somebody else's song

5. Trying

6. Only one

7. Simon

8. Cling and clatter

9. Breathing

10. Quasimodo

11. Somewhere in between