Can anyone recommend some jazz and blues bands?

Throughout the years I've occasionally listened to some jazz and blues, and liked a lot of it... but I never really got into it. Now I have a sudden craving for it, but I have no idea where to look. Everything I've come across is this really slow, lyricless stuff from WAY back in the day. I'm looking for something with a little kick to it, something that can really get the blood flowing.

There are just so many variations of the genre, and I have no idea where to look, so if anyone could recommend a few band/artists I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, and I hope this isn't in the wrong place. Q&A just made sense :P

Infiniteta (I love your name, but it's not for fat fingered typists!), There are many here that can recommend blues and jazz to you. I could, but I'd like to find out more. You want upbeat stuff. Got that. Do you know any artists that you already enjoy? There are two people here in particular that can recommend the best to you. bluesboy, and bazooka. Unfortunately, neither is online at the moment. They both will likely be around sooner or later, so if you could define a little more what you like, it would help them. Do you like guitar, horns, etc, things like that.

Here are a couple off the top of my head, maybe what you're looking for?

Stevie Ray Vaughn

John Lee Hooker

Buddy Guy

If you try these you may get an idea of what you like or don't.

"Fat fingered typists"? Haha, not sure what that means, am I making a lot of typos that I missed?

As far as the instruments I'm into, I like anything with a guitar in it, but it's not a necessity(in this case). I'm really into the sound of the piano and horns though.

For bands that I already like... I really can't think of much in that genre. Honestly, have you ever heard The Seatbelts from Cowboy Bebop? It's kinda sad, but that was my first good experience with Jazz or anything of the sort. I've been to a jazz bar a time or two, after that, and really liked the atmosphere.

I have heard many bands that I liked, but you know how when your first getting into a band or genre and everything kinda blends together? Yeah, it's kinda like that....

Link

I'm sure you know this, you're young. I stole it from another member just now. He won't mind! :)

This is pure blues, though it's a very recent release.

I love blues, but I'm certainly not the best person to direct you. bazooka or bluesboy are the best, and bluesboy knows his jazz too! :)

ps.. I'm the one with fat fingers! Too many i's and n's for me to manage! and by the way, welcome! :)

Edited by Guest

Honestly, have you ever heard The Seatbelts from Cowboy Bebop? It's kinda sad, but that was my first good experience with Jazz or anything of the sort. I've been to a jazz bar a time or two, after that, and really liked the atmosphere.

The Seatbelts? Just wait till Namahage sees this thread. You'll be his best friend. :grin:

Blues seem almost ubiquitous to me nowadays ( lots of mainstream artist dabble in one way or another). Everybody gets the Blues. And I dig all varieties ( Delta Blues, Chicago Blues, British Blues, etc).

Jazz I prefer in smaller doses, and it's a more subjective thing. I tend to avoid the wildly improvised stuff. Here's a few more Jazz or Fusion artists I've found especially interesting.

Mike Stern

Stanley Clarke

Jean Luc Ponty

Jaco Pastorius and Weather Report

Bela Fleck & The Flecktones

and the aforementioned Osibisa

• 4 weeks later...

Ghost in the Shell avatar, mention of the Seatbelts... cool. :P I've found myself in the same spot since encountering Cowboy Bebop music. It's kinda funny since I'm studying jazz piano and I don't know jack squat about most jazz. Anyway, I'll just ramble a bit now...

Michael Brecker is supposed to be pretty good. I particularly liked this cover I saw down at my college of his Delta River Blues (might be Delta City Blues, I can't remember). I haven't heard much, but he seemed pretty cool, so you might want to poke around that a bit.

Thelonious Monk is pretty good, too. Again, I learned about him from a concert at my college, so I listened to a few of his albums (legally, mind you). Very interesting style of writing.

I've heard a bit of Bela Fleck & The Flecktones before. They're a pretty good group, and amazingly talented. There was this one live performance he gave where he played some classical piece that I can't remember the name of... it was originally for piano, I think, and he played it on guitar incredibly well, not to mention the little things he himself threw into it.

Everybody talks about how great Miles Davis is, too... but I've yet to hear anything by him.

Good to know, Peaches. :P

I've been doing all right, Edna. Largely just slacking off a lot lately, though, since my semester ended. :P I mainly just came back to check on a personal matter, but I happened to stumble on this thread some way or another and thought I'd throw something into it.

Hello, other folkels. :P