the Emo parade!

valbreeson

Great, a bunch of emos making floats. Gonna be lotsa crying and wrist slitting when they lose. :P

On a mildly related topic, My Chemical Romance's singer is terrible live. I watched a Launchcast exclusive video of one of their songs (I forget the name, but it was a girl's name), and he not only couldn't get any of the notes right, but his pronunciation was horrible. :P I kinda liked The Black Parade, but because the way it's composed was interesting.

From wiki (which makes it gospel, yes? :laughing: )

Genre disputes and influences

The band's music has been described variously by the media as "alternative rock", "emo", "emocore","nu-punk", "pop punk", "post-hardcore" and "punk revival". The band themselves described their music as simply "rock" or "violent, dangerous pop" on their official website, as well as rejecting the term "emo" to describe their style. But another source quotes Gerard stating they are "What-else-ya-got-emo".

My Chemical Romance cite their main influences as Queen, Thursday, Iron Maiden, The Misfits, Pink Floyd, and Morrissey/The Smiths. Geoff Rickly, the lead singer of Thursday, has also compared them to Ink & Dagger. Growing up, they were also very influenced by horror films and comic books, and therefore their music, lyrics, and image all have overt elements of fantasy, storytelling, horror, and theatricality.

I don't mind them, I prefer their latest song to any of their others.

I don't really understand the whole emo thing though, I know that people have been dressing as their favourite musicians or to a certain image to go with the music for years but I mean if I was to decide that ZZ Top was my favourite band tomorrow, I wouldn't feel oh so compelled to grow a beard yknow?

• 3 weeks later...

Thats crazy talk, of course My Chemical Romance will succeed, I mean have you seen their following? Although it is a marketing gimmick the "MCRMY" is the next version of the KISS ARMY, and that isnt a lie. Teenage girls flock to Gerard just as much as the guys flock to their dark lyrics, and their dark persona. The Black Parade is one of the best concept albums to come out in a while, as it is highly intricate in nature. I just went to one of their shows on their new tour its really cool the way they set it up, and played it, and judging by the turnout id say that my chem isnt goin anywhere for a while.

Its probably famous last words, that's a really good song. I never liked my chemical romance until this new CD came out, and I heard the relations to Queen, Pink, and so on and became immersed in the story the CD told. "The Patient" goes through so much in death, and ultimately allows people to relate with death, loss, and recovery. Welcome to the Black Parade is a great song. the strength of the guitar work makes up for the simplicity of the piano work. It is an epic song that, as many other epics, uses the concept of building. everything in the song builds, from the drums, to the lyrics, to the guitars, it builds. The intensity of the song builds as well. I think its great how the band immersed themselves in this altar ego they created "the black parade," and got so into character that they werent afraid to break the chains that bound them. If anything they rose above predictability and created possibly one of the best albums of 2006 :)

I heard Welcome to the Black Parade performed at the VMA's. That was quite cool. With the video out, I think it's now overplayed. That may also have to do with my not getting into their music that much.

What I should do, is try out some of their earlier stuff. What do you recommend?