Have you seen me? II

Shawna

I go along with the improper use of of. However, dear lad, you may want to check your eyes, math and English regarding the ellipsis . . . Superfluous . . .?

Who isn't at Tymes? You are, though! Ya are, Blanche, Ya are!!!

;)

Are you trying to distract people from your error?:shades:

'cos as I see it... B-F's right - there's no need for two commas or a question mark there. :cool: :D

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I go along with the improper use of of. However, dear lad, you may want to check your eyes, math and English regarding the ellipsis . . . Superfluous . . .?

Who isn't at Tymes? You are, though! Ya are, Blanche, Ya are!!!

;)

"I was [sUPERFLUOUS COMMA] sitting here wondering [sUPERFLUOUS COMMA] what (da-di-da-di-da) happened to Sweet Jane [sUPERFLUOUS QUESTION MARK]"

Superfluous means "surplus to requirements". Neither of the two commas* has any cause to be there. (* Count'em, if you don't believe me. ;) )

Furthermore, your sentence is a STATEMENT, NOT A QUESTION. Therefore, the question mark is also surplus to requirements. :D

"I was [sUPERFLUOUS COMMA] sitting here wondering [sUPERFLUOUS COMMA] what (da-di-da-di-da) happened to Sweet Jane [sUPERFLUOUS QUESTION MARK]"

Superfluous means "surplus to requirements". Neither of the two commas* has any cause to be there. (* Count'em, if you don't believe me. ;) )

Furthermore, your sentence is a STATEMENT, NOT A QUESTION. Therefore, the question mark is also surplus to requirements. :D

Finally! I've grasped the reasoning behind the first part of your screen-name!

Most fitting.

I can't find the post now but as I recall Sweet Jane left because of the bickering that went on in the Creative Writing thread sometime back. She was really upset and said she was leaving but I think some people were so irritated at each other maybe they didn't see what she posted.

I just kinda stumbled across it but can't find it now.

I miss her to :puppyeyes:

Ignorance is always bliss...

Glad you think so.

From the top....

I was, sitting here wondering, what might of happened to Sweet Jane or Groovy Gal?

This sentence is grammatical nonsense.

A correct rendition would be:

I was sitting here wondering what might have happened to Sweet Jane.

Alternatively, at a push:

I was sitting here wondering, "What might have happened to Sweet Jane?"

If you can demonstrate any rational explanation, any scenario whatsoever which results in your rendition making grammatical sense, I will gladly applaud your other-worldly fruit-cakiness. :)

In the meantime, however, I fear I must labour under the illusion that you may be one of those unusual types who derives an erotic frisson from stoutly defending what is demonstrably wrong. :D